PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

Mini Me
7th June 2006, 06:44 PM
Ok, i now need to buy a wireless router for my home, and i have been told by a few different people that the best one is the one that plugs into your modem, others say the one that replaces your modem which sounds kinda complicated !!!!
Not helped at all when i askes some iccle idiot at pc world who stood and scratched his nut's when i asked him...:(:blackeye:

any advice :question:

GAJ
7th June 2006, 06:59 PM
Either!

Mini Me
7th June 2006, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Either!

were you scratching your nuts when you posted that:evil:;)

GAJ
7th June 2006, 07:23 PM
I always rest my hand there. I find it strangely comforting!

The Dogfather
7th June 2006, 07:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I always rest my hand there. I find it strangely comforting!

Insecurity:question:

Just buy a 'wireless router modem' it'll just plug into the wall and give you wireless access to the internet if your PC is Wifi ready.

Costs about £50, I've got belkin kit and it works really well!

Scottie
7th June 2006, 07:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Only Me

Ok, i now need to buy a wireless router for my home, and i have been told by a few different people that the best one is the one that plugs into your modem, others say the one that replaces your modem which sounds kinda complicated !!!!
Not helped at all when i askes some iccle idiot at pc world who stood and scratched his nut's when i asked him...:(:blackeye:

any advice :question:

if it is for your work. Why aren't they organising this for you.????

Jeez are they cowboys.:);):p Come on your a Manager get Managing;):eek::blackeye:

Mini Me
7th June 2006, 08:51 PM
sc,they are paying for it all, it's just the IT guy lost me totaly,then pc worls...sheeesh.
Just wondere if anyone here was using such a device:question:

The Dogfather
7th June 2006, 08:56 PM
This is what you want, Craigd will know how to set it up if you don't know what your doing!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/product/BELKIN/F5D7632UK4/587353

Scottie
7th June 2006, 09:18 PM

sc,they are paying for it all, it's just the IT guy lost me totaly,then pc worls...sheeesh.
Just wondere if anyone here was using such a device:question:

I am using a wireless router.:D and I set it up and my replacement Laptop all by myself:approve: but it was kinda by luck rather than "I knew what I was doing"

Although I did speak to Craig for some moral support but beware mind and tell him to make sure you have the wireless switched on;);):p

Craig
7th June 2006, 09:47 PM
yeah yeah - everyone is a critic.... :D

you know me Iain, I hate wirless.... too many sleepless nights... IF I were to buy a wireless device, it would be a wireless modem router all in one. This means it would replace the unit your have from blueyonder (you have to tell them the new unit as they do something at their end I believe, although not having cable I'm a bit in the dark).

Once you have this device, it has your internet login settings stored on it. You then plug your laptop and PC in the back of it and you can get access from them with a cable. (or you could use wireless from your laptop as it seems to find networks no bother...;))

I will investigate :D

euan
7th June 2006, 09:59 PM
Belkin make good kit, but the best out there is Netgear.

Something like this:
PC World (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0416140559.114968488 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkaddhmiimfdkcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=14&sm=1&tm=undefined&sku=904351&category_oid=-28359)

Or this:
Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3MVS&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=netgear+wireless&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0)

The second one is the newest Netgear stuff, lots of blue flashing LED's and a brilliant range. Not cheap though, but there is nothing worse than having crappy wireless performance (like the rubbish 3com one I have - so wish I'd spent the extra and bought the Netgear)

Both of these do all you want, work as craig and VB described.

Big Col
8th June 2006, 03:06 PM
I got all my wireless kit from BT and it worked effortlessly.

Mini Me
8th June 2006, 05:21 PM
looks like one of the guy's from IT, is going to organise one and come up fae chester and install it all:I

Neil and Lorna
8th June 2006, 05:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I got all my wireless kit from BT and it worked effortlessly.

Our Projectionist in the Cinema got the BT one as well.
He set aside 3 hours to set it up,it took him 10Mins.:D Simple plug in and away it goes apparently.

Neil.

Gismo
8th June 2006, 05:38 PM
The BT one is very easy to install ;)

minidriver#1
9th June 2006, 08:51 AM
How many of you are running your with networks with WEP or WPA wireless encryption security?

Big Col
9th June 2006, 03:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

How many of you are running your with networks with WEP or WPA wireless encryption security?

<blinks> Whu?

Craig
9th June 2006, 04:16 PM

looks like one of the guy's from IT, is going to organise one and come up fae chester and install it all:I

sounds like a great idea ;):D:approve::approve::approve:

Gismo
9th June 2006, 05:09 PM
No wireless in my house, i'm all cable with at least 5 access points, don't need WEP protection :cool:

euan
9th June 2006, 05:43 PM
I'm running full WEP encrption, all names etc and IP are changed from default, only registered MAC addresses can even see the network, all others are just blocked full stop.

So reckon it's pretty secure :)

minidriver#1
9th June 2006, 05:59 PM
WEP is relatively easy to breach, i recommend swapping over to WPA protection, everything else sounds healthy though. WEP is the old standard and that's now been replaced with WPA on newer routers.

Big Col
9th June 2006, 06:09 PM
I have NO idea how to check what I've got. I just plugged the thing in and the BT cd done the rest?

Gismo
9th June 2006, 06:20 PM
I have NO idea how to check what I've got
Col, you should be able to access the router through your web browser, you'll need the correct IP address though, then the user name and password, which usually is admin and password, if it's never been changed :)
That's what makes a lot of routers easily hackable (spelling :I) especially wireless, i wouldn't worry too much though, the BT wireless set up usually configures it to be WPA enabled.
Just get in there and change the user name stuff, oh, remember to write down the new user name and password :I

euan
9th June 2006, 06:24 PM

WEP is relatively easy to breach, i recommend swapping over to WPA protection, everything else sounds healthy though. WEP is the old standard and that's now been replaced with WPA on newer routers.

Agreed, but my laptop doesn't support WPA, hence why I didn't use it ;). My new thinkpad will, and I'll change it then. Well, maybe, I can't remember if my Nintendo DS supports WPA.

euan
9th June 2006, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I have NO idea how to check what I've got
Col, you should be able to access the router through your web browser, you'll need the correct IP address though, then the user name and password, which usually is admin and password, if it's never been changed :)
That's what makes a lot of routers easily hackable (spelling :I) especially wireless, i wouldn't worry too much though, the BT wireless set up usually configures it to be WPA enabled.
Just get in there and change the user name stuff, oh, remember to write down the new user name and password :I

And don't write it in a document on the PC!!! Unless you encrypt it.

Big Col
9th June 2006, 06:46 PM
Ahhh I've already changed the username etc. :)

Wul
9th June 2006, 07:06 PM
Login: Big
Password: Col

:clown:

Big Col
9th June 2006, 07:07 PM
Heh heh...yeah...like I'd be that daft!

<scurries off to change password>

Gismo
9th June 2006, 08:09 PM
I actually thought that too :p;)

minidriver#1
10th June 2006, 12:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Agreed, but my laptop doesn't support WPA, hence why I didn't use it ;). My new thinkpad will, and I'll change it then. Well, maybe, I can't remember if my Nintendo DS supports WPA.

The DS doesn't support WPA, neither does the lite as i got one from Japan and it still only supports WEP, but you can use the dongle for 24 quid to use the DS with a WPA network, bit if a rip if you ask me.

Also sometimes on your router it will actually have printed the ip address for it and the standard username and password which iwll let you log into the router and view its settings. if you mess up you can master reset like nothing ever happened ;)

Mini Me
19th June 2006, 05:17 AM
task is done, even installed it myself:p
i am now in the living room(wife things am doin work stuff).....

quality !!!

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2006, 05:38 AM
Ain't wireless great!:D:D:D

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 04:36 PM
I have an old wireless in the kitchen , the one with the big dial on the front !!! ...will that work :p;)