PDA

View Full Version : Down Tubes

Scottie
1st June 2006, 05:51 PM
Anyone know how to remove them. Is it easy something we can do or is it a dealer thing.

Burple
1st June 2006, 05:55 PM
Should be simple...
If you can undo the two torx screws they should pop out surely?
You have to partially remove them to get the Head Unit out.. ;):D

MartinSullivan
1st June 2006, 05:59 PM
Not done it on the newer cars but as LnL says if you find a head unit removal guide it should detail it on there. You have to undo all the tray bit by the gear lever etc so you can slide that back to allow the down tubes to come out.

Up to about step 7 here (http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php?section=13&diyid=6) should sort you out.

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 06:04 PM
I found it easier to take the dashboard panels off rather than the tray at the bottom. If I remember correctly there's some screws that need to be taken out and then they just pull off at the bottom allowing you to slide the tubes out.

MartinSullivan
1st June 2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah that is another way to do it - but I couldnt find a simple step by step guide that showed that way, the Mikeythemini is good enough to do the job

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 06:33 PM
I tried the other way but couldn't get the mirror switch out :I

MartinSullivan
1st June 2006, 06:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I tried the other way but couldn't get the mirror switch out :I

WIMP

mikeythemini
2nd June 2006, 04:42 AM
Its all changed
On early Minis it was as mentioned above but late 2005 they changed. It is now easier to change the stereo
Remove the side screws then the tubes will drop and move outwards so you can get to the stereo screws.
BUT
They will no longer pull out as they get wider at the bottom under the centre console. So you need to remove the centre console & slide the tubes down out of it

Coop
3rd June 2006, 01:27 AM
Did this v recently to put in ma Aux input.

First you need to pul the knee bolster out from under the steering wheel. Its the driver side equivilent to the glovebox if you get wht I mean. Studs at the top, hinge at the bottom so give it a good tug from the top end. This allows access to the torq screws (T20) at the top of the drivers side downtube. The other side is easier cos the glovebox handily opens.... Then you need to undo 2 wee screws on the underside of the middle dash panel (around the speedo). There is 1 torq at each side, you will see them if you get under the dash. Then you can pop the middle dash panel, and remove the downtubes.

Hope this is clear, pls tell me if not! Or, if you are anywhere near Perth, I'll do it for you in about 10 mins.