PDA

View Full Version : john cooper works s

minimad
1st June 2006, 06:55 AM
all of you who have a jcws.. how do you rate this car above a standard s ?also does it make aloud noise due to the sports exhaust?

Big Col
1st June 2006, 03:11 PM
Weeeeeeeeel whilst I don't own one I test drove one and they do go like a bat out of a very very warm place indeed! The only thing I would wonder would be if it's worth the extra cash but, as I've said on here, if you got the cash go for it! They also sound lovely but they're actually quite understated I think. Would be interesting to hear what others think.

X30YES
1st June 2006, 04:11 PM
Well...It is very fast indeed and in all gears as well .When you hit 3.5/4K revs it just wants to go and go !! ,I'm still running it in so Ive not really thrashed it yet ,but can imagine what it will be like when it is ...just like my S when it was getting to the 12000 miles it started to really fly .The power really kicks in when you put your foot down and you feel it as well,something like the old turbo's years ago ...however the power can be a wee bit ott when taking off as the front end seems to be all over the pace if your not careful with the right foot.I'm still getting to grips with it but does really shift in a straight line and as Ive not tried it on bends or back roads yet I cant say how good it is !!.The difference for me between the S and the JCWS is like a Cooper to a S....a big big difference indeed with a huge difference in power .The S is a great car to drive ,the JCWS, has to be driven .....and seems to want to be !!.It is a good all rounder even at slower speeds,but I just wonder about the breaks to be honest ,same breaks as the S ,but more power to cope with !!!.Money well spent if you can afford it,the S with a few mods would be less and just as good fun .If its noise you want,it would be better to fit an induction kit and a playmini exhaust, chip it, and save a couple of grand I did hear that the JCW kit is about to go up in price as well.Understated!! yes it is ,a cooper S looks different to a cooper ,the JCWS and a standard S look the same in that respect ,but not the same to drive .I would rate it above a standard S Yes ...for the engine upgrade alone ....but at a big price.To be really honest I wonder if I will get to use the extra power in anger , however ,that wee bit of fun you get when you do boot it is fantastic and worth it for that alone.

Neil and Lorna
1st June 2006, 04:44 PM
Ok here's my bit.

Had a Cooper S for 14 months before the JCW. Now had the JCW for 14 months as well. The biggest difference I experienced is far better pulling power throughout the rev range. Like what X30YES (Angus) says put the foot down and its off. When you hit the 4.5k mark and the flappy thing opens in the air filter the supercharger noise is amazing.
I've hit the rev limit occasionally by mistake due to how quick the revs build,not something I do regularly only when ive been in a hurry to overtake something.
My honest opinion is the same as Big Col if you have the money then why not.Even if its just to keep the heritage of the marque.

Haven't noticed any louder exhaust note but it pops and burbles more than the standard S.Also what Angus says if you want noise Playmini is way to go.

Go for it you wont regret it.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Neil.

Scottie
1st June 2006, 05:08 PM
I don't know about the difference between the two type of S's never drive fast enough.:I I hate reviews never know what to say.

It is quick but then I do have the MTH file on top.:cool:

Worth the £££ probably not unless your into designer gear cause at the end of the day that's what your paying for a Name.

Don't worry about torgue steer as Angus mentions it's nothing

try holding on to a 270bhp Mini now that's has torgue steer.

Neil and Lorna
2nd June 2006, 06:26 AM
Hi minimad

Check this review that KJ wrote after a test drive in a cabrio JCW.Its very interesting reading.
His review is on page 1 of the thread.

JCW Review (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4197)

Neil.

X30YES
2nd June 2006, 03:17 PM
Don't worry about torgue steer as Angus mentions it's nothing

it is :(...its going in on Tue to get it sorted out...new steering rack /pump/drive shaft /and hoses , :eek:,always thought it was a bit twitchy compared to my last S :)

redpoint rallying
3rd June 2006, 04:04 AM
The Works 'S' is completely superb, the driving experience between standard 'S' and the Works car are quite different. Both are fantastic cars but the Works is just so much more. If you thought you grinned like a daftie in the standard car wait till you get to grips with a 'run in' Works.

It is expensive, but I wanted to keep my car all original and to me its worth paying for. Yes a portion of your cash goes for the name but that too is important to me as you are driving and owning something quite special with a huge heritage behind it. Romanticisms aside, the Works has been tested and developed to death so the product has a proper warranty and known quality.

The handling remains superb (the chassis characteristics are capable of massive performance) The brakes are fine, however I have upgraded my pads to Green Stuff items just for the better feel.

For comparisons I havent had a WRX, Evo or Porsche get away from me yet during some 'spirited driving' (which is what its all about), It is hilarious. Varying driver abilities aside, thats the league the Works car is in. Have no doubt. It is. Anyone saying otherwise is just wrong. Period.

The reactions are still time honoured Mini reactions from other drivers 'not in the know' ie....' but I thought it was just a Mini..' Wolf in sheeps clothing?......oh yes.

Buy one. You will not regret a single aspect of it.

As for the noise, its pure music! The exhaust is good but the best comes from the supercharger.....you just cant get enough of that noise.....:)

M

Mon the fish
4th June 2006, 02:22 AM
Took a while for me to respond to this one :cool:

It's fab :D The best money you'll ever spend The noise, the power, the torque... Too many things to mention.

First of all the power. Loads of it, everywhere across the rev range. It pulls incredibly well low down, 30 in 5th and it just goes, unlike rev-happy screamers. I redline mine nearly every day, and it doesn't stop pulling all the way to 7000rpm. The thing to get used to is the throttle response. The first bit of travel, its nice and sedate, but one more millimetre and it just goes... so you keep the foot in :D

The noise is fantastic, from the whine at 4500rpm, to the popping at low revs. I took to driving round Tesco's car park just to let everyone hear it :D

And engraved, polished exhaust pipes... worth the money alone :p

Nick
7th June 2006, 12:19 AM
I agree the biggest difference is the throttle response, i love the instant response you get from the works s...

In saying that however i have had mine for just over a year now and i want more power!!

I think it lacks torque though....looking at the stats on paper it looks great but i certainly notice a big difference when i have a passenger onboard......

No problems holding on to Golf R32 (old style) A3 3.2 in a straight line......

redpoint rallying
7th June 2006, 01:19 AM
Nick, dont know about you but I got rid of the nasty run flats and have Kumho Ecstar tyres fitted. The weight saving makes a huge difference and the tyres are the best I have ever had....just unbeliveable grip but theres a whole new thread...(yawn) ;)

M

Nick
7th June 2006, 07:22 AM
yes i got rid of the run flat tyres too, yes made a difference and ride is much better....

Dont know about you guys but i think this warmer weather does affect the performance............i dont know maybe you just get used to the power then its not enough! Think i am going to go for an MTH chip.....

Mon the fish
8th June 2006, 01:37 AM
Must admit I think so too, certainly the heat coming out the bonnet scoop when you park it is pretty scary :eek:

X30YES
8th June 2006, 03:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by Nick

yes i got rid of the run flat tyres too, yes made a difference and ride is much better....

Dont know about you guys but i think this warmer weather does affect the performance............i dont know maybe you just get used to the power then its not enough! Think i am going to go for an MTH chip.....
Contact Martin S He likes chips !!!!;):p

X30YES
8th June 2006, 05:56 AM
Well that's it , Ive just been out for a blast !!, 12 miles out and 12 back again and can only say it was pure pleasure on the open moor roads, twits turns and bridges ,triple s bends the lot, it was pure magic ...what a noise when you open it up and let it go ,a pure pleasure to drive.And I was smiling all the way through each bend,even looking for a tighter one to drop down a gear and let it rip again on the exit ...it sure does go. As Nick and Martin have said ,I did feel the run Flats a bit heavy and hard work at times ...its my first real blast to be honest and kept at 4500 rmp, and hardly made 6th the noise was that good ,even lifting off to hear that popping noise, great fun . The handling was fantastic ,going into and out of the tight bends, and almost felt that the car was looking for more bends to be tested ,it sure is great fun to drive on a twisty road with no traffic to worry about in either direction .The power range is superb in all gears as well. In a word Buy One ,if you can afford it that is .The extra cash takes you into a diffrent league of car , however ,I'm now sure, its not the same league of pleasure .

minidriver#1
9th June 2006, 08:57 AM
i wrote a review here... of the JCW S cabrio if its any use to you...
http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4197

its not a comparitive review . i really enjoyed the car.

minimad
9th June 2006, 09:20 AM
picked up my s works from john cooper in east preston.i got the racing manifold fitted and it gives me an extra 10 bhp and the noise is pure heaven.thanks to all who made my mind up to purchase this 220bhp monster,ps i met mike cooper that was the cherry on top see u all in ARBROATH

Nick
9th June 2006, 06:40 PM
racing manifold? Is this an official JC one???? I would be interested in one of these so let me know....

Also this hybrid induction upgrade looks like worth while upgrade...
http://www.gtt.uk.com/parts4.asp

X30YES
9th June 2006, 06:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Nick

racing manifold? Is this an official JC one???? I would be interested in one of these so let me know....

Also this hybrid induction upgrade looks like worth while upgrade...
http://www.gtt.uk.com/parts4.asp

Interesting :eek:

minimad
10th June 2006, 09:04 AM
phone up jcw in east preston and ask for the 4-2-1 works manifold its not cheap but now that i have one fitted i think its worth every penny.i dont know if they would send one up might prefer to fit it themselves for warranty reasons