PDA

View Full Version : American Muscle Cars are Back?

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 11:52 PM
Corvette Camaro Concept

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/24-chevrolet-camaro-concept-2006-2007-2008-2009.jpg

Dodge Challenger
http://www.allpar.com/images/dodge/challenger/front-quarter.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/images/dodge/challenger/rear-quarter.jpg

I really like these, interesting to see if they ever make it into production though.

Fontal
1st June 2006, 01:26 AM
Oooooohhh yeah my uncle has his name down on the challenger already cant wait till he gets that beast if they make it, he used to own a metalic purple 1970 440 challenger.

as you can probobly tell i'm a bit of a yank tank fan :D

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 01:37 AM
'There's no substitute of cubic inches' and if you convert to LPG, its almost as cheap to run as a MINI :D

I love the sound of a big V8, I used to work just round the corner from the TVR factory. Every one in a while you see one of the test cars out on a run. The V8s always sounded the best.

Big Col
1st June 2006, 03:21 PM
Ooooh I love that? Bet it costs a bomb though!

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 04:16 PM
Both are estimated to cost £35k, and both come with a 6+ litre V8 producing over 400 bhp.

I bet they only cost £15,000 in the states though.

Big Col
1st June 2006, 04:20 PM
Oooh ouch! Don't think I'll be buying one of them then.

There's a guy that lives on the way to my local has an old ford mustang sitting in his driveway rotting away. The paint's all faded and the car looks rough. SOOOO tempted to see if he'd sell it! :)

Fontal
1st June 2006, 04:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
'There's no substitute of cubic inches'

I love the sound of a big V8, I used to work just round the corner from the TVR factory. Every one in a while you see one of the test cars out on a run. The V8s always sounded the best.

You want to here my chevy then absolutly amasing drag V8 with side pipes :D:D:D:approve::approve::approve:

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 04:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Oooh ouch! Don't think I'll be buying one of them then.

There's a guy that lives on the way to my local has an old ford mustang sitting in his driveway rotting away. The paint's all faded and the car looks rough. SOOOO tempted to see if he'd sell it! :)

I doubt he would, he's probably saving up to restore it. Still you can easily pick an old american muscle car, just don't expect it to stop or corner :p

The Camaro and Challenger will like any other large engined car though, the used values will drop like a stone. After three years they'll be down to £14k and will have covered maybe 30k, not a lot for such a big engine especially the 'detuned' 350bhp version of the camaro engine.

The same engine is in the non VXR Monaro, they started at £35k and you can pick a 2yo version for £18k now.

Fontal - you'll have the same engine in the Blazer right? What sort of mileage do you get out of it? Is that running on LPG as well?

Fontal
1st June 2006, 05:11 PM
The engine in the Blazer is a carbed 350 that was used in anger on the strip it produces around the 350-400hp mark and is from the late 70's so it is not economical at all it was built to race so only returns around 8 to the gallon :( but big modern V8 from the states with injection and computers are returning around the 30 mark so they are a lot better.

As for LPG on mine, na it is a thoroughbred so only unleaded goes in with octane boost plus it is hardly used mabey 5 miles a week so it is not worth it as the cost of fitting it would be horendous.

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 05:18 PM
Ah, I'm still playing around with the daft idea of a 3yo Monaro 5.7 running on LPG. I doubt it'll happen though, an oz tank rather than a yank one.

Scottie
1st June 2006, 05:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal

The engine in the Blazer is a carbed 350 that was used in anger on the strip it produces around the 350-400hp mark and is from the late 70's so it is not economical at all it was built to race so only returns around 8 to the gallon :( but big modern V8 from the states with injection and computers are returning around the 30 mark so they are a lot better.

As for LPG on mine, na it is a thoroughbred so only unleaded goes in with octane boost plus it is hardly used mabey 5 miles a week so it is not worth it as the cost of fitting it would be horendous.

Not sure LPG is available on Shetland

Fontal
1st June 2006, 05:21 PM
it sure is my Audi runs on it I used to do a 100 mile round trip to my work so I got the family wagon converted paid for it's self already

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 05:37 PM
Fontal, ever thought about getting a LPG tank at home? There's a place near me that does LPG at 35p/litre but you have to rent a tank at £200/year. If we had the space I'd have one already.

Scottie
1st June 2006, 05:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal

it sure is my Audi runs on it I used to do a 100 mile round trip to my work so I got the family wagon converted paid for it's self already

who sells LPG ????

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 06:06 PM
J Burgess Lerwick, Shetland
Brae Stores Brae, Shetland
Mainlands Ltd Dunrossness, Shetland
J K Anderson Whiteness, Shetland

Fontal
1st June 2006, 06:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Fontal, ever thought about getting a LPG tank at home? There's a place near me that does LPG at 35p/litre but you have to rent a tank at £200/year. If we had the space I'd have one already.

I had thought about it but cant get permision for it from the councle also there is only one supplier of the LPG up here so it would only be marginaly less than the shops are selling it for 63p a litre

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 06:55 PM
Ouch, I pay 39.9p.

Fontal
1st June 2006, 07:03 PM
I know but that is what happens if there is only one suplier charges what he wants.

How easy is it to find LPG on the mainland as we are coming on holiday at the end of july begining of august?

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 07:32 PM
Try www.go-autogas.com or www.petrolprices.com - Petrol prices will only show forecourts though.

You can buy an Atlas from go-autogas for about £6, I've got a Tom Tom GPS enabled pocketPC with all the LPG retailers on which is great. There's loads of garages on the East Coast but very few on the west.

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 07:35 PM
Asda and Morrison have some garages with LPG, they're cheap as well ~ 40p/litre.

Asda Bridge of Don and Dundee both stock LPG. There's a Morrisons at Hamilton that we use on the way down south.