PDA

View Full Version : mud flaps???????

bazza
19th November 2003, 07:07 AM
Has anyone out there fitted a set of BMW MINI mud flaps to there buggy if so did it make a difference to the amount of S--- that is thrown up on tne back of your MINI especially if it is a Black one.

Bas:cool:

macblob
19th November 2003, 07:29 AM
I think Wul fitted mud flaps to his car........mind u i maybe wrong lol

Big Gordy
19th November 2003, 05:11 PM
I fitted them and yes they do make a difference to the sh@t that's flug up the doors :p:D:approve:

Wul
19th November 2003, 06:16 PM
Yup macblob - you are indeed correct sir - although not the MINI ones - i did buy a set of them but took them back as they overlay the wheel arch trim and are stuck/screwed on which meant if i was to take them off it could be messy - also they did look like they would not fit properly ie not going up to the bodywork so you could see the trim underneath.

I bought a cheap set from halfords - cannon ones and adapted them to suit the mini - they only cost £7ish and after a bit of trimming look fine IMHO - easy to remove too. Also suitable to fit on an S too.

As for preventing crud getting on the boot - i think they help - but not as much as i'd like - given i washed the car on sunday - drove to arbroath and back on monday and the car was dirtier than it was before i started on sunday! However i'm keeping them on as they do lessen the spray on the back window.

See the pic below - they are now on straighter too! ;)

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/Wul/100_0664a.jpg

Big Gordy
19th November 2003, 08:05 PM
You don't have to screw/glue them on :approve: Mine are just held on by the plastic rivet type thing you get in the pack and just pushed up from the bottom <Ooooooeeeeerrr missssis :eek:) Is there not one of those instruction thingys for fitting mud flaps on mini2. The factory mudflats are only £6.50 if memory serves me well. Must be the cheapest 'factory' mod you can buy from BMW :p:D:approve:

GAJ
19th November 2003, 09:16 PM
"Big bottom, big bottom;
Talk about mud flaps - my girl's got 'em"

Absolute classic!

First to name the film wins the right to buy a copy of Spinal Tap on DVD!

Wul
19th November 2003, 09:38 PM
Big G - that's the fronts only surely?

The rear fitting BMW instructions include drilling holes, attaching double sided sticky tape etc. Everything except an empty washing up liquid bottle and toilet roll tube :D;)

From the accessories catalogue the fronts are £6.50 and the reard are £15.

Big Gordy
19th November 2003, 09:39 PM
Maybe I should point out at this stage that I only fitted the front mud flaps as I think the factory rears look hideous (IMHO) :p:D:approve:

Wul
19th November 2003, 09:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

I think the factory rears look hideous (IMHO) :p:D:approve:

Bingo - now were on the right wavelenght Big G - i'd agree with you on that one!

The set of rears i was going to fit didn't - fit that is!

Willie M
19th November 2003, 10:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

"Big bottom, big bottom;
Talk about mud flaps - my girl's got 'em"
'Big bottoms drive me out of my mind
How could I leave - this behind'

I'd buy the DVD Gaj, but I've already got it :D Indeed a classic!!

duncan
20th November 2003, 01:38 AM
I've got both front and rear - factory fitted - and more than happy with them

bazza
20th November 2003, 05:49 AM
Cheers all,
think I will look into getting a set as I am hacked off with the amount of dirt that gets thrown up on the boot and spray on the window.

Gismo
20th November 2003, 07:41 AM
I applied zymol for the first time on the mini, result, dirty backside, but, the dirt just wiped off with a wet cloth and left a gleaming rear end.

I am very impressed with zymol :)

Julz
20th November 2003, 05:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I applied zymol for the first time on the mini, result, dirty backside, but, the dirt just wiped off with a wet cloth and left a gleaming rear end.

I keep telling you, try Simoniz Teflon, I think it's better than Zymol, which is quite an accomplishment (that's a big word spelt badly!!);):D

3GGG
20th November 2003, 05:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Was that the Polish or the car shampoo? Smells nice doesn't it:clown:

I have the mudflaps (front and rear) - still gets dirty but doesn't throw quite as much spray up at the cars travelling behind. The vortex at the rear of the car still drags all the spray onto the rear however.

Gismo
20th November 2003, 06:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
Was that the Polish or the car shampoo? Smells nice doesn't it:clown:
Twas the wax, lovely smell :)

Bonnie Scotland

macblob
21st November 2003, 02:08 AM
Julz, I just purchased some of the teflon wax :). Do you know if the plastic trim can be polished with it as it says it doesnt mark it?

I realise fatty doesnt have any black plastic anymore but didnt know if you had used prior to getting kitted.

Julz
21st November 2003, 05:52 AM
It's true, if you splodge (or blob in your case) the black trim there is no, or very little mark left, good choice of polish!! The only advice I can give it the usual wee bit at a time, you can apply the polish in a oner and then remove it fine, but it's almost invisible when it dries!!! Enjoy!!;):D
BUT, I still use Zymol shampoo!!:clown:

macblob
21st November 2003, 05:59 AM
Cheers Julz, I thought id give it a try, however my box of half full waxes and polishes is growing out of control lol.......maybe I should try finishing some of them.

Julz
21st November 2003, 06:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Cheers Julz, I thought id give it a try, however my box of half full waxes and polishes is growing out of control lol.......maybe I should try finishing some of them.

Or I could give you my box of half used polishes and waxes and you could have a full box...:p:D

macblob
21st November 2003, 06:14 AM
Woohoooo a full box.........Ive found you need to experiment with polishes etc, especially the black trim stuff, some of them are absolute sh**. Think its a turtle wax one ive got for that , smells kinda nice and works well :D

Julz
21st November 2003, 05:25 PM
For the trim, try the Simoniz back to black restorer, if you haven't already!! I've had 3 505's in the past and found this was the best stuff and isn't too messy!!;):)

bazza
22nd November 2003, 05:45 AM
On the subject of polish,I am using Meguires at the mo and it is Brill the tyre dress and bumper black do the trick,the tyre dress also makes those new rubber mats nice and shiny but a word of warning dont use it on the drivers side as its slippy as hell.