http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/1664/Entry269_1256.jpg
:D:D:D

MartinSullivan
29th May 2006, 04:13 PM
LOL :D

Burple
29th May 2006, 05:55 PM
Ace :D

We were across the border yesterday for the thistle run ;)

Remember the footage of English football hooligans fromthe News? Y'know how most of them seem to be a bit chubby, ruddy faced, and shaven headed? and wear either an England top or a polo shirt that's a bit too small? Is there a law in England that every village MUST have at least a couple of them living there? ;)
We went through a couple of tiny villages, and they *all* had a couple of these blokes sitting outside a pub!

And quite a few of these warning flags too... :p:p:p:D:D

MartinSullivan
29th May 2006, 05:57 PM
Im a bit chubby, have a ruddy face and a shaven head and Im english - must be a football hooligan then :p lol, I also have a similar design of warning flag on my car - AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Shame I dont like football it could have been a whole new career for me :D

Big Col
29th May 2006, 06:04 PM
<sniggers> Shaven head! Like it's HIS choice and not the only option available! :D

Burple
29th May 2006, 06:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
<sniggers> Shaven head! Like it's HIS choice and not the only option available! :D

Oi! :p

Easy tiger :p:p:p:p:D

X30YES
29th May 2006, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Ace :D

We were across the border yesterday for the thistle run ;)

Remember the footage of English football hooligans fromthe News? Y'know how most of them seem to be a bit chubby, ruddy faced, and shaven headed? and wear either an England top or a polo shirt that's a bit too small? Is there a law in England that every village MUST have at least a couple of them living there? ;)
We went through a couple of tiny villages, and they *all* had a couple of these blokes sitting outside a pub!

And quite a few of these warning flags too... :p:p:p:D:D

Like this
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/1664/hooligans.jpg:disapprove::mad::D:D:D

MartinSullivan
29th May 2006, 06:34 PM

Oi Now Now , I know you are sulking with me but there is no need for that :p

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 06:37 PM
And there's never any trouble at Scottish football matches......

http://www.rte.ie//news/1999/0503/ref.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2304971.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4284341.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/992797.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2000043.stm

Big Col
29th May 2006, 07:15 PM
<blinks> You're not SERIOUSLY wanting to compare behaviour records for Scottish international / English international fans are you?!?!? SERIOUSLY???? I mean I get you defending every other bit of banter directed your way but trying to suggest that English fans are no worse than the Scottish ones is just ridiculous mate! Don't be such a plank!

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 07:20 PM
No, not Scottish International as the Tartan Army are always well behaved. But Scottish domestic matches are bad, I've seen it meyself in Aberdeen, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

I never said anything about the Tartan Army.

The Bull
29th May 2006, 07:28 PM
"Plank"....brilliant Col, haven't heard someone being called that in ages. Like it. :D:):D:):D

Big Col
29th May 2006, 07:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

But Scottish domestic matches are bad,

Then that's a totally unrelated issue so shaddap! :)

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 07:48 PM
Then that's a totally unrelated issue so shaddap! :)

Is it:question:

Anyway, it seems to be a pretty big problem if the gets a mention in the Scottish Parliment and it needs new laws to curb it. At least the English leagues are now relatively trouble free. Well with the exception of Cardiff and Swansea games that is.

Big Col
29th May 2006, 08:19 PM
Yeah but the English International fans, which is who was being talked about, are still yobs that are renowned all over the world for their terrible behaviour!

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 08:39 PM
Actually, in recent years there has been very little trouble compared to previous International campains. However, in all previous cases the trouble is carried out by a small minority of organised hooligan groups. English football isn't alone in this, Italy, Turkey and Germany have trouble as bad if not far worse, and so does Scottish domestic football.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of people labelling all England fans as hooligans, I'm a fan so am I a hooligan?

Most fans England fans including myself are purely following a patriotic and probably deluded hope that we might actually win something this time.

monkimagic
29th May 2006, 08:42 PM
I watched a show there other night about Scottish football casuals, Aberdeen fans where the second team in the UK to adopt the Casual look.:dead:

Rangers v Celtic matches are renown for trouble, is it not taken as part of course that these two will fight even on the pitch ?

http://www.broxibears.com/images/uploads/ricksen_3.jpg

Each team, scottish or english have an element who have a need too fight. I know most people who attend matches go there for the sport, yada yada....... but far to much trouble brews.

I reckon they should just Bann the damn sport all together.;)

Big Col
29th May 2006, 08:52 PM
I agree. Fishing for Englishmen in much more fun! ;)

john
29th May 2006, 10:38 PM
How the hell does everything land up back to FOOTBALL?????

Crombers
29th May 2006, 10:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

God's own sport :approve:

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 10:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

God's own sport :approve:

Very true!

Big Col
29th May 2006, 10:47 PM
Bollocks! If it was God's own sport Ronaldhino would be good lookin!

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 11:04 PM
Bollocks! If it was God's own sport Ronaldhino would be good lookin!

See that's the twist, if you're good at football, you have to have something wrong with you... God is just balancing things out.

Beckham - squeeky voice, bad taste in women
Gerrard - Never look happy even after winning a major trophy, scouse accent
Ronaldo (Brz) Gap teeth, over weight
Rooney - Shrek looks
ZZ - Bad bald patch
Owen - Gambling addiction
Maradonna - Drugs, shorter than me

Crombers
29th May 2006, 11:05 PM
I dunno , reckon big gums/teeth would be better than being to tall/small :p;)

Burple
29th May 2006, 11:51 PM

Lowest Common Denominator ;):p:D

Burple
29th May 2006, 11:57 PM

<kicks Crombers ankles> Oi.. watch it :p:p

Did anybody see Maradonna on Soccer Aid last night? I just happened to turn it on just before half time... he's like a wee pudgy cartoon character!:D

And he scored a penalty from a handball by somebody (David Gray or summat) lol
The irony was not lost on the commentators (strange that? ;)), who were yelling at him not to be allowed to take it :D:D "if he scores this lets just all go home". ace. :D

The Dogfather
30th May 2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I watched the whole match. Second half was crap, best bit was Gordon Ramsay raging at the bald italian ref in the first half.

Maradonna and Gazza were a pale imitation of their former selves.

Scottie
31st May 2006, 12:01 AM

Did anybody see Maradonna on Soccer Aid last night? I just happened to turn it on just before half time... he's like a wee pudgy cartoon character!:D

And he scored a penalty from a handball by somebody (David Gray or summat) lol
The irony was not lost on the commentators (strange that? ;)), who were yelling at him not to be allowed to take it :D:D "if he scores this lets just all go home". ace. :D

O'ooooooo wait wait. I watched that match and guess what wait for it.

About 1 minute into the comentators starting guess what was mentioned

<drumroll> yip your SPOT ON 1966.:D

Burple
31st May 2006, 12:22 AM
quote:

Seriously, don't play the drinking game where you have a drink where anything like that is mentioned ;) you'll be $h!tfaced in minutes! :p:p:p
Well, time to dig in and try to switch off to all the hype. There's no avoiding it for the next couple of months. Might as well unplug the telly for the summer, what with all this nonsense on top the constant BB droning.. :p

As a slight aside, do you think the UK media would still be spouting about it as much if Scotland *had* won The World Cup at some point instead of England? I doubt it, it'd be a side-issue in the news. I'm pretty sure the media hype would be nowhere NEAR all this nonsense we have to put up with. United Kingdom? yeah.. my @rse..when it suits the interests of the (English) Media maybe.

:p:p:p;);):D:D
(don't get yer knicks in a twist VB ;) just ranting.. :p Unless of course you can justify to the rest of the 90% of this country who *are* still Scottish *why* we need to endure 'England' this that and the other on every form of broadcastable and printable media...) :p:p:D

Scottie
31st May 2006, 12:29 AM
I think Walter Smith had a valid point in the papers last week.

Why should I support England. I'm Scottish and the team I support is Scotland. What is so wrong with that:question::question: why should I be held against a wall and told you must support England it's the "correct" thing to do. Why is that then:question: why is the correct thing to do.:question:

I like the football but it's just a game and I'll only be watching the big games with Brazil and the likes but not the smaller games with England and the likes.:)

Coop
31st May 2006, 01:17 AM
So how many Scots will be supporting England at the WC then? The main thing stopping me is the English media. They're bad enough about 19bl***y66 so I canna imagine what it would be like if they won it this year. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

<gets down on knees and prays for major case of food poisoning in England camp>

:)

Crombers
31st May 2006, 01:31 AM

;)

Smitty
31st May 2006, 02:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Tell you what....i nearly launched my TV out the window at this....

Bobby Charlton being introduced to the players of soccer aid then PRICK tindlsey pipes up with........

Next year it might be the heros of '06 being introduced to the players

HA

Best joke i've heard for a while!!:dead::blackeye:

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 03:05 AM
Just an observation, not directly linked to the content of this thread...

Its not the fact that Scots 'should' support England its the fact that they'll support anyone else who plays against England. I've seen it with my own eyes. I watched the Argentina/England match in Aberdeen during the last world cup, a large number of Scots in the pub had gone out to buy Argentina shirts. Unfortunately for them England won, I guess it would have made a great Mastercard spoof.

Later that day me and a few friends went for a beer, there was quite a few footie fans in waiting for the next game. Halfway through our first pint the pub erupted in to a chorus of 'We hate the f'ing English' 'We hate the f'ing English'. Needless to say we left, with a number of my Scottish friends stunned by the chanting.

Since I've been here I've frequently had a hundreds of put downs 'what would you know you're English','Don't talk to him he's English' etc. I've also had to suffer abuse from people I've been out drinking with because I'm English.

Even this site has seen posts insulting England, mentioning Bannockburn and the slaughter of English troops and of course Angus posting anti-English his hilarious jokes and images.

I love living in Scotland, I feel so welcome and it gets so much better when the world cup arrives.

X30YES
31st May 2006, 05:00 AM

No, not Scottish International as the Tartan Army are always well behaved. But Scottish domestic matches are bad, I've seen it meyself in Aberdeen, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

I never said anything about the Tartan Army.
Aberdeen is a bit different is it not , with the Casual mob up there .

X30YES
31st May 2006, 05:02 AM
BTW ...... VB you do talk utter P%&h some most of the time :p

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 05:19 AM
Casuals are football hooligans. Aberdeen isn't alone they don't just fight themselves.

BTW if you can point out anything I've said thats 'Pish' I'll gladly withdraw it.

X30YES
31st May 2006, 05:31 AM
Give it out, take it back mate :p....its only banter ..well !!:D
My Mother is English BTW , but I still love her :p

X30YES
31st May 2006, 05:43 AM
It is an Off Topic & BANTER thread ya know ,and that was a soft soft penalty ?:p

Scottie
31st May 2006, 05:49 AM

Just an observation, not directly linked to the content of this thread...

Its not the fact that Scots 'should' support England its the fact that they'll support anyone else who plays against England. I've seen it with my own eyes. I watched the Argentina/England match in Aberdeen during the last world cup, a large number of Scots in the pub had gone out to buy Argentina shirts. Unfortunately for them England won, I guess it would have made a great Mastercard spoof.

Later that day me and a few friends went for a beer, there was quite a few footie fans in waiting for the next game. Halfway through our first pint the pub erupted in to a chorus of 'We hate the f'ing English' 'We hate the f'ing English'. Needless to say we left, with a number of my Scottish friends stunned by the chanting.

Since I've been here I've frequently had a hundreds of put downs 'what would you know you're English','Don't talk to him he's English' etc. I've also had to suffer abuse from people I've been out drinking with because I'm English.

Even this site has seen posts insulting England, mentioning Bannockburn and the slaughter of English troops and of course Angus posting anti-English his hilarious jokes and images.

I love living in Scotland, I feel so welcome and it gets so much better when the world cup arrives.

Oh dear:(

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 05:56 AM
Banter?

Its a very fine line if you are actually directly abusing someone because of their nationality, race or culture its racism.

john
31st May 2006, 07:12 AM
I dont hate the English but I do hate FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

duncan
31st May 2006, 07:49 AM
I hear what you're saying VB, however, in no defence for the "racism", when you're a Scot in England, we get pretty much the same treatment as you seem to get.

Typical questions being:-
No my name is not Jock. I only know one person called Jock.
Yes, its a Scottish Tenner, No, there's nothing wrong with it. Its not foreign currency.
Yes, of course it rains all the time north of the border. <doh>
Yes, we all wear kilts and have ginger hair.

These are just typical of some of the stupid questions you get when down south.
Yes, its debatable if its racist, but it is highly ignorant.

Add in the fact that the UK state broadcaster frequently gets broadcasts wrong, or overlooks differences in laws, culture, education, it seems to give "racism" an official nod.
How many times do you hear a place on BBC referred to as Somewhere, Scotland? A heck of a lot more than Somewhere, England.

john
31st May 2006, 08:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

I hear what you're saying VB, however, in no defence for the "racism", when you're a Scot in England, we get pretty much the same treatment as you seem to get.

Typical questions being:-
No my name is not Jock. I only know one person called Jock.
Yes, its a Scottish Tenner, No, there's nothing wrong with it. Its not foreign currency.
Yes, of course it rains all the time north of the border. <doh>
Yes, we all wear kilts and have ginger hair.

These are just typical of some of the stupid questions you get when down south.
Yes, its debatable if its racist, but it is highly ignorant.

Add in the fact that the UK state broadcaster frequently gets broadcasts wrong, or overlooks differences in laws, culture, education, it seems to give "racism" an official nod.
How many times do you hear a place on BBC referred to as Somewhere, Scotland? A heck of a lot more than Somewhere, England.

We were in an Englsh pub (still sober)and the barman refused to take our Scottish notes:blackeye:

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 08:28 AM
Abuse either side of the border is out of order. Calling someone 'Jock' or similar is racist - Someone I used to work with was given a straight final warning for it when someone complained. He was advised by his Union he was very lucky not to be sacked. The problem is far worse on the North side of the border though. Most English people will either support any of the home nations or have no interest.

I don't agree with you about the broadcaster stuff, but you knew that anyway. If your not in the South East you get ignored its not just Scotland, in fact Scotland actually gets singled out for special treatment compared with other UK regions, such as North West England. The BBC has special 'Scottish Objectives', you should read the channels annual review.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/aboutus/review/site/bcs/objectives.shtml

BTW, technically Scottish notes, I believe, aren't legal tender in England and Wales, and English notes aren't legal tender in Scotland.

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 08:31 AM
John, where in England?

Big Col
31st May 2006, 03:19 PM

Awwww fur fek sake!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/invent/shutup.gif

IT'S BANTER!!!!! You give it out enough mate so take it when it's directed back at you.

X30YES
31st May 2006, 03:57 PM
He he ....Well put :D:D:D(Breakfast was all over the table after reading that Col);)

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 04:38 PM
Col, my post wasn't just about what happens on this site.

I have to put up with this 'anglo-phobic' crap week in, week out, and have done for the last five years. The difference is that I can make a choice of whether to visit this site and put up with it, I don't have that luxury everywhere else.

Scottie
31st May 2006, 04:51 PM

Awwww fur fek sake!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/invent/shutup.gif

IT'S BANTER!!!!! You give it out enough mate so take it when it's directed back at you.

Col where did you find those pics. Excellent.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/lmao.gif

Big Col
31st May 2006, 04:56 PM
Mate...with the greatest of respect...get over it ya big drama queen. You'd think you were being persecuted and sold into slavery. It's banter. Even if it's not, who the fek cares that some neanderthal doesn't like you 'cos you're English?!?! You're not the only English person on here but you're the only one that greet about the banter. You also change your stance on it more than your fekin' socks! Some days you're happy to banter away, other days you throw the toys completely out of the pram and start squealing. Everytime I've been down in England I get just as much abuse as you get up here but I've never batted an eyelid at it 'cos its a joke. It's banter. It's the way it's always been between the English and the Scots. Until one or the other nation is blown up, underwater or in any other way uninhabitable it's the way it always will be! Now gonnie pick up your rattle and get back to having a laugh and a joke!!!!! Jeez! If you weren't pregnant I'd say you had the painters in!!! :D:D:D

MartinSullivan
31st May 2006, 05:14 PM
We were in an Englsh pub (still sober)and the barman refused to take our Scottish notes:blackeye:

Lol was that the pub near my house John? Unfortunately they have had a lot of problems with forged scottish notes down there - because scotland has different 10 pound notes etc (ie more than one type) its quite easy to confuse someone with a forgery that doesnt look like any scottish note. Most of the shops in my village wont take scottish currency for that reason, it isnt an anti scottish thing.

In one italian restaurant in manchester they actually took my scottish note which I used to pay the bill and pinned it to the board behind the counter where they had notes from all around the world lol.

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 05:30 PM
Col, if you'd been on the other end of the banter for five years, you might not be so quick to dismiss it. My old bosses son actually tried to commit suicide because he was bullied at school because he sounded English, he was actually born in Wales.

Still its my choice whether or not to put up with it on here, I choose not to.

Big Col
31st May 2006, 05:46 PM
Mate I was bullied at school for being tall but don't think people are out of order for slagging me for it on here. Kids are kids and bully people for having ears the wrong shape, the wrong trainers on or just for not being one of the cool crowd. Trying to imply that all of the jokes about English people made by the Scots are filled with malice and contempt is just ridiculous. I've also been on the end of tall jokes since I was old enough to remember, which is a helluva lot more than 5 years, and I don't gob my rusks out everytime someone makes a gag about it so I think I can quite easily dismiss whatever I like!

I notice that you've now changed back to it being about the abuse you get on this site. If you don't want to take it on this site then that's fine. Just stop changing your tune about it, taking it as banter on Monday then blustering with indignanation on Tuesday!

SHEESH! You REALLY need to get back to work mate. This sitting in is clearly affecting you! :)

Burple
31st May 2006, 05:55 PM
quote:
BTW, technically Scottish notes, I believe, aren't legal tender in England and Wales, and English notes aren't legal tender in Scotland.

From the Royal Bank website:

"There are more Royal Bank banknotes circulating in Scotland than those of any other bank but, with the exception of temporary provisions during both World Wars, Scottish banknotes have never been 'legal tender' even in Scotland. Today, no banknote qualifies as 'legal tender' north of the Border, although they remain legal currency. The notes may also circulate freely in England and Wales, although branches of the Royal Bank there may not issue them."

So apparently neither country's banknotes are legal tender in the other country, although Scottish banknotes are still 'legal currency' and there's no reason for anyone south of the border NOT accepting them.
The same obviously applies to English notes up here, since there are so many of them in circulation.

Every day's a school day :)

Scottie
31st May 2006, 06:03 PM
I was called Ostrich for years at School and had to put up with it although I hated the name.:I:I:D

No idea why I got the name.

Big Col
31st May 2006, 06:06 PM
An Ostrich's brain is smaller than it's eyeball Fi. That might be why. :D;)

Scottie
31st May 2006, 06:11 PM
An Ostrich's brain is smaller than it's eyeball Fi. That might be why. :D;)

H'mm you could have a point :D;):p:blackeye:

I thought it was because they had long thin shapely legs and could run fast.;)

Burple
31st May 2006, 06:19 PM
Mate I was bullied at school for being tall but don't think people are out of order for slagging me for it on here. Kids are kids and bully people for having ears the wrong shape, the wrong trainers on or just for not being one of the cool crowd. Trying to imply that all of the jokes about English people made by the Scots are filled with malice and contempt is just ridiculous. I've also been on the end of tall jokes since I was old enough to remember, which is a helluva lot more than 5 years, and I don't gob my rusks out everytime someone makes a gag about it so I think I can quite easily dismiss whatever I like!

I notice that you've now changed back to it being about the abuse you get on this site. If you don't want to take it on this site then that's fine. Just stop changing your tune about it, taking it as banter on Monday then blustering with indignanation on Tuesday!

SHEESH! You REALLY need to get back to work mate. This sitting in is clearly affecting you! :)

EXACTLY what hes says! ^
But replace 'tall' with 'short' and latterly 'baldy'. How many times have you read a post on this site where someone has made a short or bald joke about me (I'm sure you're not entirely innocent there either by the way :p)? I've learned to rise above it (How much brainpower can it really take to say "ha ha, you're short and bald"? It's not the pinnacle of humourous comedy really is it?). If I spat the dummy every time I've suffered that kind of abuse, I'd probably be locked in a nice bouncy room by now - or worse.
It's nothing personal against you. If we had NO English members at all these things would still be posted, laughed at, then forgotten. It's not because we hate every English person alive, far from it. It's cathartic to let it out, I'm sure you feel the same when you've got something you want off your chest.
Look at it another way, my Grandad was half French. If you slag off the French, you're abusing my family.

What would your reaction be if I went off on one everytime someone made 'shorty' or 'baldy' joke about me? Can I demand that everyone stop that too then cos it upsets me? No more 'lanky streak of p!$h' jokes about Col?
If everybody's gonna have to be so politically correct, then there's no point in keeping the OT&B forum is there?

Sittin on yer @rse is making yer right grumpy by the way, can somebody no drop off yer homework?:p:p

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 06:58 PM
Col, of course being tall you must have had so much abuse at school. I mean I'm 5ft 5 and sailed through without any stick whatsoever. Mind you I do realise that I'm so touchy about the subject of being a short arse on here aren't I?

However, I think you'll find that whenever people have posted up any anti-English stuff I've pretty much always had something to say about it. I was always brought up to believe it was wrong to make fun or to abuse people because of where they are from, whether they be Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Pakistanni, African, French etc. Its racism end of.

In Scotland it seems social acceptable to abuse or make fun of English people but why is making fun of the English 'banter' and making fun of someone because they're Pakistani racism?

From what I can find most definitions of racism do mention national origin or culture, and I have yet to find one that states 'unless that person is English and you're Scottish' or 'unless that person is Scottish and you're English'.

Burple
31st May 2006, 07:25 PM
Isn't that cos we're 'all one nation' in the UK? ;);)

Until of course the media make the distinction... :p

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 07:28 PM
In a word no.

We're supposed to be a Union of Kingdoms/Nations.

Big Col
31st May 2006, 08:09 PM
First of all I've no idea what relevance your height has and I think you missed my point. My point was that you're saying that the anti english banter that exists in Scotland was what resulted in that poor boy's attempted suicide. I was saying that's pish. He was bullied because he was different and kids get bullied at school for whatever it is that makes them different. That does not mean that all jibes at people's differences are unacceptable or out of order. Personally mate I think calling it racism is rubbish. The good natured rivalry between Scotland and England has existed for generations. 99% of the time there is no malice intended. The rivalry and good natured jibes come from both sides of the border and out of all of the English people I know, and I know a lot of English people, you're the only one that blubs about it in this way. I've actually show 7 of them this thread and all of them have asked for your address so they can get tissues sent over. I also just asked an 8th and he's asked if he can include "a can of shut the h£ll up juice" with that delivery. :)

Of course there are incidents where it goes beyond good natured digs but that doesn't mean this is accepted. Everyone I know that is Scottish would be appalled if someone was physically assaulted or visciously verbally abused simply because they were English. There is a fine line between good natured humour and vile racism and I think the cast majority of people are able to understand where that line is. You just seem to be in the minority that doesn't.

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 08:34 PM
Col, a lot of the time you actually talk sense. On this occasion you're not.

First you didn't answer my question were is the difference between the two examples I gave. Or is it ok the for people to engage in some 'good natured' Pakistani Jokes?

If it wasn't OK for 'banter' the kid wouldn't have been bullied, and if he hadn't he would have tried to kill himself.

There is no fine line, its racism.

X30YES
31st May 2006, 08:46 PM
Who said 'Boring FOOTBALL Thread' :question:...:D:D:D
this aint boring at all :p, Pedantic Fobia and Hilarious it sure is :D:D:D.
And my 2P worth for the record :- Once down in Gt Yarmouth going offshore I popped in for a wee bag o chips ,handed over a Jockanese £1 note , the look on the wee lassies face was a picture :eek:emm mister we dont take Euro's here and ran off to get the owner..after he looked at the note ,he said it was ok to take it !! :cool:
Another time in Manchester filling up the car,handed over a £20 note ,the woman said ....sorry mate we dont accept them here ,I said that was all I had and if she wanted the petrol back she could take it :p....she called the Police :eek:...this was years ago when £20 would well fill a tank with juice and have change back !!!!.

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 09:07 PM
So its OK for Scots to be racist because the English are ignorant about Scottish bank notes?

X30YES
31st May 2006, 09:15 PM
No , but I'm being factual not ignorant mate

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 09:21 PM
I never said you were being ignorant!

X30YES
31st May 2006, 09:27 PM
I have a car needing some polish/wax, and a garden to tidy if your stuck for something to do shorty ;)...or cant I say that either:D:D

Scottie
31st May 2006, 09:28 PM
I've spoken to Sue in my office and she agrees with VB. yes there is a element of folks being racist against the English and living in Scotland she moved up from London some 20 years ago. Although she says she can give as good as she gets and she is not sensitive to it.

Sue also said that you have the flip side down south that the English are the same towards the Scots.

Sue also commented that being racist is more extreme down south with all different nationalities English people in general are more racist and the National Front are awful.

Maybe we don't really appreciate how bad racism really is as we don't see alot of it up here I know I don't other than what is reported on TV.

Perhaps what we call banter other people can perceive it is being something else. Especially if they have witnessed racism first hand.

X30YES
31st May 2006, 09:33 PM
< Wait's....;)

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 09:35 PM
Shortys fine, you could have said fatty either :D

Happy to polish ya car mate ;) Always happy to 'help the aged' :p

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 09:42 PM
So the English are more racist as well now, SC?

Another sweeping generalisation....... Come on, you don't even realise when you're doing it.

Scottie
31st May 2006, 09:57 PM
So the English are more racist as well now, SC?

Another sweeping generalisation....... Come on, you don't even realise when you're doing it.

I don't really know to be honest with you VB. Sue seems to think so.

She said when she went to School in London it was very bad and she could never understand why.

She had very good friends that were Polish and they had a terrible time.

doing what though.???? you have to tell me what i'm doing wrong that way I can avoid making the same mistake next time I don't set out to upset you but obviously I have.

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 10:04 PM
Fi, you haven't upset me. The statement you made 'In general the English are more racist' is in itself racist. Its a generalisation about a group of people, I think what you meant to say was 'in general England has more racial problems than Scotland'.

England does have a far higher population of minority groups, and in areas like Bradford and Blackburn there is a lot on tension. Scotland hasn't got this type of problem, well at least not to the same extent and therefore any racial tension hasn't surfaced like it has down South.

Scottie
31st May 2006, 10:11 PM

Fi, you haven't upset me. The statement you made 'In general the English are more racist' is in itself racist. Its a generalisation about a group of people, I think what you meant to say was 'in general England has more racial problems than Scotland'.

England does have a far higher population of minority groups, and in areas like Bradford and Blackburn there is a lot on tension. Scotland hasn't got this type of problem and therefore any racial tension hasn't surfaced like it has down South.

that is what I meant to say.:) I need to get you to proof my work fist;):p

So we still mates then.

p.s I really do want David Beckham to win the World Cup if i'm 100% honest.:I:p

john
31st May 2006, 10:21 PM
This thread is certainly helping with the post count if nothing else:D

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 10:28 PM
Fi :D

I'm still mates with everyone, I'm just making the point that I'm fed up of all the so called 'banter' directed at the English. My opinion is that it is racism.

Scottie
31st May 2006, 10:33 PM

Fi :D

I'm still mates with everyone, I'm just making the point that I'm fed up of all the so called 'banter' directed at the English. My opinion is that it is racism.

Ok.

Craig
31st May 2006, 11:20 PM
has your Visa not run out yet VB ? ?

<just a joke and a bit of banter...... i'll get ma coat >

The Dogfather
31st May 2006, 11:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

has your Visa not run out yet VB ? ?

<just a joke and a bit of banter...... i'll get ma coat >

:D No but my Mastercard has ;)

Big Col
1st June 2006, 12:16 AM

Col, a lot of the time you actually talk sense. On this occasion you're not.

First you didn't answer my question were is the difference between the two examples I gave. Or is it ok the for people to engage in some 'good natured' Pakistani Jokes?

If it wasn't OK for 'banter' the kid wouldn't have been bullied, and if he hadn't he would have tried to kill himself.

There is no fine line, its racism.

To answer your question I have one or two Pakistani friends and they also get the same abuse as all of my other friends get and they give it back just as well. Trying to say that the abuse you get is the same as Pkistani people getting BNP and Nazi symbols keyed on their cars and written on their front doors is frankly embarassaing.

With regards to your constant use of that poor young guy's attempted suicide to add weight to your weak argumet, what was happening to that young boy wasn't banter, it was abuse and bullying. You're talking complete nonsense about this point and to be honest mate, it's not really a topic you should be using to try and back up your argument. Bullying is a completely separate issue to the piss taking that we're talking about. The fact you're actually trying to say that the Scottish people's supporting of anyone that's playing against England is comparable to the severe abuse and bullying that a poor young lad was subjected too then you really are ill and should be signed off by your doc for a lot longer! There is a line mate but, as I said, you just cannie see it.

Now. I'm off to have some dinner and a couple of beers. :)

P.S. One of the English guys I showed the thread too has just said "Jeez is he STILL talking pish? No wonder you guys hate us!" :D:D:D

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 12:43 AM
'To answer your question I have one or two Pakistani friends and they also get the same abuse as all of my other friends get and they give it back just as well. Trying to say that the abuse you get is the same as Pkistani people getting BNP and Nazi symbols keyed on their cars and written on their front doors is frankly embarassaing.'

Never did, I just said it was racism. What you're talking about are very extreme cases of racism, neither is right. If you wish to make racist comments and you're friends are willing to tolerate them then fine, that's your and their choice.

'With regards to your constant use of that poor young guy's attempted suicide to add weight to your weak argumet, what was happening to that young boy wasn't banter, it was abuse and bullying. You're talking complete nonsense about this point and to be honest mate, it's not really a topic you should be using to try and back up your argument. Bullying is a completely separate issue to the piss taking that we're talking about.'

Its not an arguement I'm just stating my opinion. Actually kids pick this sort of thing up from their parents, think its OK and then take it into the school yard. Yes its bullying but its racist bullying, you should try reading up on it. Extra point if you can explain the difference between piss taking and bullying in a school.

'The fact you're actually trying to say that the Scottish people's supporting of anyone that's playing against England is comparable to the severe abuse and bullying that a poor young lad was subjected'

Where exactly did I do that? All I'm saying that any anti-national abuse is racism it might be harmless in intent but its still racism. I just gave an example of how calling it banter and allowing it to be acceptable can have a major effect.

BTW, if its really socially acceptable try telling an anti-english joke to a group of senior managers at the place you're working at now. You might want to ask for a reference before you do though.

So far Col you haven't explained why it isn't racism, all you've done is say its OK to be racist as its only banter and on this point I disagree with you, that's all.

Scottie
1st June 2006, 12:55 AM
This is a quote from a Newspaper
Football isn’t a political matter – it’s much more important than that. The First Minister, Jack McConnell, was taken severely to task last week for failing to support England in the World Cup. There have been cries of outrage from the guardians of the Scottish media. McConnell is supposed to be a unionist, they cried. Surely he should be able to support our UK brothers in this great endeavour? Where is his patriotism?
For refusing to back England, McConnell has been accused of fomenting anti-English prejudice, of making a cheap bid for the nationalist vote and of demonstrating his immaturity and woeful judgement. And Jimmy Hill didn’t like it much either.

Er, but, hang on. This is a football match we’re talking about, not the war in Iraq. Since when was it obligatory for unionists to demonstrate their commitment to Britain by supporting a handful of overpaid primadonnas prancing around the pitch showing off their latest hairstyles?

The First Minister isn’t alone. The redoubtable Scottish Tory leader, Annabel Goldie, told me she would be waiting to see the form before deciding whom to back. She may be an arch-unionist, but she certainly wasn’t going to back England until she had had a chance to inspect their fetlocks. Nicola Sturgeon hasn’t ventured an opinion, though I am assured she will be joining the “gone shopping” party for the duration of the World Cup.

As a non-believer, the World Cup largely passes me by, as it does the other half of the Scottish population. But I certainly don’t feel under any obligation to support the English football team unless they demonstrate that they’re worth it. And I don’t see any reason why the First Minister should lie about something as trivial as whom he is minded to support in a sporting fixture.

McConnell said he would be supporting the underdogs, which seems to me far truer to the great British sporting tradition than backing lisping chavs like David Beckham, who seems about as far as you can get from a true patriotic role model. The idea that McConnell has betrayed his country is ludicrous. Were Chelsea supporters weeping when Barcelona beat Arsenal in the Champions League? Hardly. Was that unpatriotic?

I think supporting Trinidad and Tobago is a great idea, and not just because they have a player whose second name is Scotland. The SNP leader, Alex Salmond, set the T and T ball rolling, and I think it will go the distance. Scotland is the ultimate sporting underdog, and we should be supporting outsiders. Surely it would be good for sport in general for a team from this small former British colony to take the title – or even defeat England.

The truth, as everyone knows, is that the vast majority of Scots will not support England, and will indulge in schadenfreude at every setback for the three lions. And no, schadenfreude isn’t a new brand of white beer – it means taking pleasure in the misfortune of others. Many will do so almost in spite of themselves. And the crunch will come if there is a replay of 1966.

I vividly recall having dinner with some Scottish BBC executives in a smart Westminster restaurant patronised by MPs and ministers on the night of the Euro 1996 semi-final. When Gareth Southgate missed his penalty the Scots rose as one, then hastily sat down again when they realised that half the Tory party was watching them. It was the funniest thing since Basil Fawlty tried not to mention the war.

The BBC Jocks weren’t being racist or unpatriotic, they were just being Scottish. Is it wrong? Well, it’s a little childish, I suppose, but hardly a sin. I’ve been known to indulge in this vice myself on occasion – often at the expense of the United States or Tony Blair, and while I’m not proud of it, I’m not going to pretend that it doesn’t happen.

But what of the English? Will they forgive Scotland for not supporting the greatest heroes ever to walk planet Earth? Already Jimmy Hill, the hammer of the Scots, has put the boot in, ably assisted by Jack Straw and the Scottish Labour MPs.

We are warned

Craig
1st June 2006, 01:00 AM
I for one will be supporting Scotland this year.... ;)

Linky (http://www.scottishquest.com/howscottish/game.html)

:approve::approve::approve::approve:

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 01:30 AM
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=434&id=1303952004

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=434&id=800562004

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=434&id=1110502003

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=434&id=674132002

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=434&id=674142002

Burple
1st June 2006, 01:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

I for one will be supporting Scotland this year.... ;)

Linky (http://www.scottishquest.com/howscottish/game.html)

:approve::approve::approve::approve:

And as he's a former Arab, so will I. I've got them in a mates' WC sweepie too :approve:

Fi, that quote was pretty spot on. It just proves that you can't win. If you don't support England you're racist. If you do you're a fawning sycophant.
Personally I hope they get gubbed. Nothing personal against you Paul, or any other single English person I know *. I'd take that as just payment for the weeks of mental torture having to put up with all that Engerland p!$h that's flooding the media. And to see the faces of Gary Lineker and all those other gloating idiots on TV eating their words about 'Rooney being fit for the final whoever we play':p:D:D

*It's never been an anti-English thing for me. It's the arrogance of a nation to ostensibly force so much propaganda down the throats of the 3 other 'home nations' no matter WHO qualifies. Can you see the same sort of coverage if England HADN'T qualified? ..and perhaps Wales Northern Ireland or Scotland had? If you think the amount of blatant propaganda and advertising would remain at the same level for the cause of one of the other nations you're sadly mistaken.
I know you've only lived up here a few years, we've had to deal with this all our lives, and most of us find this sort of arrogance on a national level to be offensive. On the other hand, living in England you've been raised with it as being Patriotic.

To use a rather out of context example, It's like we're the French living in occupied France during WW2, and the Germans run the telly.

euan
1st June 2006, 01:49 AM
I'm not even going to start on the "abuse" I get living in England for being Scottish - but it's just banter and I get in with it. Enjoyed the 6 nations a lot though ;)

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 01:59 AM
I don't expect Scots to support England, and I'm certainly not calling anyone racist if they don't.

All I did was talk about my experience as an Englishman in Scotland. I've experienced at lot of anti-English sentiment, and so have the majority of my English friends. I would love to be able to put on an England shirt and go down to my local pub and watch a game or two, without being worried about being beaten up or getting abuse, not going to happen though is it?

I think I'll vote SNP next time, I mean if you guys get your own TV channel, I might get some peace ;)

X30YES
1st June 2006, 04:12 AM
Ah ,The six nations that was good ..why ? .....because the media and most of the arrogant folks from south of the border (feeling or showing proud self-importance and contempt for others) were made to eat humble Haggis

Burple
1st June 2006, 05:12 AM
quote: I would love to be able to put on an England shirt and go down to my local pub and watch a game or two, without being worried about being beaten up or getting abuse, not going to happen though is it?

Yip, that would be ace, but it's the same no matter where you are. An English person here, a Scot in England, a Man U fan in Liverpool. At least you don't get shot for wearing the wrong colour walking down a street like some of the gangs in LA :eek:

People just can't accept strangers, it's built in.

At least you don't have to pay extra tax to be an immigrant er.. settler.. ;);):D

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 05:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

arrogant folks from south of the border

Are ya slaggin' the welsh now as well :evil:

Wul
1st June 2006, 05:38 AM
Any chance you can all get back on topic please? ;):p

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 05:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

this is the Off Topic forum innit :question: :p

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 06:06 AM
Yip, that would be ace, but it's the same no matter where you are. An English person here, a Scot in England, a Man U fan in Liverpool.

Now I've actually been in a bar in England with a Glaswegian, who was wearing a Scottish rugby shirt whilst watching a Scotland footie match. Oh, and the funny thing was back then everyone watching was actually supporting Scotland. Mind you it was in Blackpool, there's a lot of Scots in Blackpool. They were playing the Cech Republic, I remember that Smicer scored and he ended up signing for Liverpool at the end of that season.

BTW you can see loads of Man Utd shirts in Liverpool pubs, usually an hour before kick off. It happens at least once a year.

X30YES
1st June 2006, 02:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

emmmmmm what was it :question::p

Big Col
1st June 2006, 04:09 PM
VB mate I'm so very glad there aren't more people like you in the world. :)

Right...time for coffee. :)

The Dogfather
1st June 2006, 04:11 PM
VB mate I'm so very glad there aren't more people like you in the world. :)

Right...time for coffee. :)

Ditto ;)

Burple
1st June 2006, 06:42 PM
Sorry VB, but I just read the following on an American site...
It ain't just us! ;)

Quotey:
"COMMENTATOR 1: "And Sparciaowitcz passes to Mikanowitch...not unlike the way Hurst performed that historic pass to Charlton in 1966."
COMMENTATOR 2: "Ah yes, 1966, where England won the world cup."
COMMENTATOR 1: "1966!"
COMMENTATOR 2: "Gosh, all this talk of 1966 is giving me a right stiffy."
COMMENTATOR 1: "Oh, well, let me help you out with that. 1966!"
COMMENTATOR 2: "1966!"
COMMENTATOR 1 [with mouth full]: "1966!""

P.S.. I left out the laft word of the quote which starts with a 'W' and sounds like what you use to stop boats ;);):D

X30YES
1st June 2006, 08:06 PM
or Merchant Banker :question::D

X30YES
8th June 2006, 07:43 PM
Get you world cup shirt Here
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/1744/medium/officialscotland1_1_Small_.JPG

The Dogfather
8th June 2006, 07:48 PM
i remember hearing there was a Scottish guy who went out and bought all of Englands opponents shirts in the last world cup, he eventually got a winning shirt at the fifth attempt. I think most shirts cost about £40 :eek:

X30YES
10th June 2006, 04:21 PM
'I mean if you guys get your own TV channel, I might get some peace '
What is STV

X30YES
10th June 2006, 04:26 PM
Here we go

BERLIN (Reuters) - German police said on Saturday they arrested more than 20 soccer fans -- most of them German and English -- amid violence overnight in the city of Frankfurt following the World Cup opening matches.

Three German and three English fans were taken in after a brawl close to the city's central station.

"After suspected English hooligans thrashed the chairs and tables outside a restaurant .
ADVERTISEMENT
... a serious fight kicked off between the English hooligans and the German bouncers of the bar," Frankfurt police said in a statement.
On Friday night, England and German fans taunted each other in an hour-long stand off on a central square in Frankfurt following the host nation's 4-2 win in the opening game against Costa Rica. Police kept the two sides apart.

The Dogfather
10th June 2006, 05:29 PM
Angus - It took me ages to find that story only Reuters are listing it so I'd take it with a very large pinch of salt. Looks as though it was nothing more than handbags or there would have been widespread press coverage. Still lets hope its not the start :(

Big Col
10th June 2006, 08:24 PM
LOL! "Only Reuters are listing it so take it with a very large pinch of salt."??????????

Reuters is one of the most respected and accurate news agencies in the world! The BBC get a lot of their stuff from there!

The Dogfather
11th June 2006, 12:12 AM
LOL! "Only Reuters are listing it so take it with a very large pinch of salt."??????????

Reuters is one of the most respected and accurate news agencies in the world! The BBC get a lot of their stuff from there!

Well considering there's probably thousands of journalists in Germany right now you'd expect to see more coverage if there'd been any serious trouble.....

euan
11th June 2006, 04:35 PM
Every newspaper or tv news gets feeds from Reuters.

But yes, it does look like a drunken argument gone too far and not anything organised.

X30YES
11th June 2006, 09:30 PM

Well considering there's probably thousands of journalists in Germany right now you'd expect to see more coverage if there'd been any serious trouble.....
a serious fight kicked off between the English hooligans and the German bouncers of the bar,' Frankfurt police 'said in a statement.

The Dogfather
12th June 2006, 12:22 AM
Its a fight at a club, you see that in most towns most Saturday nights. Give that their German perhaps 'hooligan' is an approximate translation.

Gismo
12th June 2006, 12:14 PM
The whole media have now centered on the louts who stupidly decided to put swasticas on their heads :disapprove:

X30YES
12th June 2006, 04:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

The whole media have now centered on the louts who stupidly decided to put swasticas on their heads :disapprove:
:eek:...(_*_)'s...:disapprove:

The Dogfather
12th June 2006, 06:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

:eek:...(_*_)'s...:disapprove:

Agreed, hopefully they'll get kicked back home. They spend a fortune on visting Germany only to get deported back home, it serve them right.:approve:

Crombers
13th June 2006, 07:58 AM
One word 'Brazil' tomorrow , let the festival begin :approve:

X30YES
13th June 2006, 04:03 PM

One word 'Brazil' tomorrow , let the festival begin :approve:
for sure ....( . )( . ) & (_!_) ...magic :D

Gismo
13th June 2006, 04:32 PM
Or
(.)(.)
)(
\/
!

I'll get ma coat :p

X30YES
14th June 2006, 04:57 PM
One in three Britons to shun England match

LONDON (Reuters) - One in three Britons will be doing anything but watching the World Cup match between England and Trinidad and Tobago on Thursday, according to a survey.

A poll of 1,000 people by research firm Mintel found that 35 percent of respondents will be doing anything but watching the game.

And it is not just women who are shunning the football frenzy, the survey published on Wednesday found.

As many as three in ten men responded that they will be at work when the game kicks off at 5 p.m. or otherwise occupied.

One in five people said they would be rather be on holiday than taking in the game.

Another 5 percent would like to be shopping, taking advantage of retail conditions expected to be quieter than usual.

Burple
14th June 2006, 05:45 PM
...But the majority will be the ones sitting in their dark musty rooms, open mouthed and drooling, sucking up Big Brother. :p

Incidentally, Ellie had a little bit of it on last night after he Brazil game. It was one of the many satellite shows (the one with Russell Brand on it), and they were discussing an apparent new arrival, I think it was the sad idiot who found a 'golden ticket' to get in or something. They were talking about the fact that her hubby had apparently spent £4000 on KitKats to find her a ticket (sorry, but I find that offensive, what a waste). Anyway, One bloke piped up: "Her hubby knows what he's done, he's just spent 4 grand to lock her up so he can watch the World Cup!"

Excellent! :D