PDA

View Full Version : MINI Sold? How does the new car compare?

The Dogfather
28th May 2006, 05:23 PM
There's quite a few of us who once owned a MINI and have moved on to other cars. Brought about by changes in family, health, finacial and jobs. So how does the new car(s) compare to the MINI?

Come on MMM, Julz, John, Euan etc....

Gismo
28th May 2006, 05:41 PM
I think i can comment on this, i sold my mildly modded S :p in for a Subaru WR1, the car was an absolute blast to drive and was very brutal through the gears.
The power was amazingly draw droppingly quick and cornered brilliantly, just a few things put me off it, 5k service intervals, under 20 mpg and the turbo lag was horrible, if you weren't in the right gear the power was lost and your granny in a ford anglia would have gotten past me.
It was simply just too much like a rally car, so, luckily for me i was able to get back to a mini cooper, but, even more fortunate i was able to get an M3 which allowed my craze for the mini to continue.

The Dogfather
28th May 2006, 06:04 PM
Mildly Modded :eek:

My Cooper had to go as the over harsh (S) suspension was causing back pain. The MINI was directly replaced with an MX5, it's a great car much quicker than the Cooper and it handles as well, although understeer has been replaced by oversteer :D It's a convertible which is great when its dry and the heater is so strong it can be driven with the top down even in winter.

Downside is it's not a cheap to run as my MINI was converted to run on LPG, there's no space for the dog (on longer journeys, he can sit in the footwell next to Jackie on short runs). Although the build quality is good it doesn't feel as well screwed together.

The plan is to replace my other car the Omega MV6 with a MINI traveller diesel as soon as they come out.......

sh@z
28th May 2006, 08:14 PM
Hey where was my name in your intitial post!! lol

Well yeah a move from a Cooper to a RX8 is quite a big jump. A HELL of a lot quicker than the cooper, and handling will leave even the minis for dead when driven properly (im still too chicken to find the absolute limits of it [altho i did do so down at prodrive in birmingham courtesy of Mazda]) Fuel and Oil consumption are quite high, but its a small price to pay for the driving enjoyment, and i love the rotary engine, so smooth and linear power delivery ... means u always go quicker than you feel and such neutral handling (and predictable). I'll be keeping this car for a while i reckon, as i dont do enough miles for the fuel consumption to hurt me so much.

The Dogfather
28th May 2006, 09:43 PM
Sorry Saz just grabbed a few names from the members front page :I

Crombers
29th May 2006, 05:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
much quicker than the Cooper and it handles as well

Yawn !!

lightbody
29th May 2006, 07:04 PM
My new car is even better than the Mini I traded in for it... although it was a tough job to beat "Charlie".
The new one still has the amazing fun, safe handling, the great equipment, the fun drive, combined with perfect reliability! It also let me take part in the Thistle Run yesterday which I wouldn't have missed for the world, and the IMM in Spain last year.

So my new car compares favourably with my old car... and I'm glad my new car is a MINI!!

Monsta Mo Mini
29th May 2006, 08:37 PM
MINI Cooper to a MkV Golf GTI

I've now driven 15000 miles and with the exception of the steering rack recall, it's been a very pleasurable and trouble free 10 months. More than could be said for my first year of MINI ownership! Superior in comfort, space (what isn't), build quality, fuel consumption is fantastic - I've averaged 34mpg over 10000 miles and seen it average over 40mpg on a long motorway trip - never got that in the MINI (not the way I drove it anyway). With the 18" Monzas it's more of a head turner than your average MINI is these days;). The actual driving experience maybe lacks the excitement of the MINI, mainly due to the fact it's so bloody easy to make it go fast but I always felt that about the Cooper S aswell. As for handling, the Cooper would edge it for fun but would still finish second due to lack of speed and power in the right places. I think the Works Cooper S only just beat the GTI by milliseconds in Test Drives original road tests.

The GTI just ticks all the right boxes for me; practical family car (which even Shirls likes driving) which goes like stink when you feel the need. Sorry MINI

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/images/DSC00025.jpg

Crombers
29th May 2006, 09:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini
With the 18" Monzas it's more of a head turner than your average MINI is these days;).

:(:eek::disapprove: oh dear me , MMM has sold his soul

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 09:31 PM
I think the Golf GTI, Focus STI and Astra VXR have raised the bar for the new MINI, lets hope BMW can deliver....

monkimagic
29th May 2006, 09:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I think the Golf GTI, Focus STI and Astra VXR have raised the bar for the new MINI, lets hope BMW can deliver....

The GTI, yeah a very nice car but the other two look like toy cars.

I reckon the Mini is still the nicest looking, when you see it, your own or others it just says suttle but nice.;)

Most cars of a MCS spec,, scream out MID LIFE CRISIS !!!!!!!

AndyP & Lenore
29th May 2006, 09:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

I reckon the Mini is still the nicest looking,

:approve::approve::approve:

N12 JLK
29th May 2006, 09:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini
With the 18" Monzas it's more of a head turner than your average MINI is these days;).

:(:eek::disapprove: oh dear me , MMM has sold his soul

Think I would disagree there still think the MINI is one of those cars most people turn there nappers round for a wee glimpse:cool:

lightbody
29th May 2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah I agree with Lesley... the Golf may be of interest to certain people who know about them, but the Mini is of interest to a much wider spread of people. It may not be the best car on the road, but its so much more than the sum of its parts!!

Crombers
29th May 2006, 11:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Yeah I agree with Lesley... the Golf may be of interest to certain people who know about them, but the Mini is of interest to a much wider spread of people. It may not be the best car on the road, but its so much more than the sum of its parts!!

Yeay , what this man says :approve:

The Dogfather
29th May 2006, 11:10 PM
The Golf is cool but a MINI is Cooler.

MX5 isn't cool though :(

euan
29th May 2006, 11:49 PM
Sold my S for a 3 series coupe - 320ci sport. I've had it just over a year and done 17K in it.

My driving had changed and I was doing more motorways the S was killing my back (was doing 4 hours at a time to Manchester and back every week). New car is great at that stuff, and it's sodding enormous inside which helps for all the diy stuff we've been doing the house (had a 2m long shelf in it, with the book shut - couldn't do that in my Mini!).

Performance is rubbish in comparison to the mini, never feels scary fast, but that's not why I bought it as I needed a long distance cruiser. Handling is sweet though, the balance in it is the best of any car I've had. Powering out of a long corner is very satisfying! Build quality is rock solid, it's quiet at speed and has all the toys I wanted.

You could say I'm happy with it, although I do wish I'd bought the Golf GTi instead (that was my other option) but was worried about fuel consumption. Ah well, live and learn.

Miss the mini loads though...Always brought a smile to my face when I went back to it, and the whine from the supercharger...and the exhaust popping (helped by the parcel shelf ;))

Julz
3rd June 2006, 09:53 PM
Well, I sold my slightly modded mini for a "sensible family four door saloon" and how much fun is it!!!! I must admit the only time I've missed the mini was when I needed sat nav, I have missed the 911 though but it would be hard not to! The Evo is just amazing, it's quite nippy ;), handles amazingly, fits more than three bags of shopping in the boot and makes me giggle everytime I hit the accelerator and it whistles through the rev range!! Plus, I saw more minis on Riverside Drive yesterday (including Mr KJ) than I've seen Evo's in the 8 months I've had the car!! There is also the bonus of a fantastic local dealership who actually know what's what under the bonnet8):sleepy:

Plus, I can't imagine having to lug a baby seat in and out of the back of the mini. The bonus being, the wee mans favourite colour is yellow!!:D

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/minijulzcs/P5140624.jpg

N12 JLK
4th June 2006, 12:27 AM
What a cutie. :cool:

zimbo
4th June 2006, 03:04 AM
quote:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/minijulzcs/P5140624.jpg

What a good looking wee chap he is :) ....couple more months and he will be almost as big as you too :D:p;) hee hee...

Just joking Julz, hope you three are all well?