PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bay

alanm73
25th May 2006, 05:30 AM
What and where is the best place to purchase a clay bar?

macblob
25th May 2006, 05:40 AM
There are a few different ones here
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/clean.html

I have used the megs quick clay and found it to work well :)

Wul
25th May 2006, 02:41 PM
Try ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SP-Sonus-Ultra-Fine-Detailing-Clay-Single_W0QQitemZ8013969626QQcategoryZ72201QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) too - this one is supposed to be excellent. :)

Burple
25th May 2006, 05:54 PM
That's an interesting line -
"Safe to use on all painted and glass surfaces"

Does that mean you can use the claybar to clean your windscreen properly too?

macblob
25th May 2006, 06:10 PM
yup :D

Burple
25th May 2006, 06:15 PM
Sweet :cool:

I've been wondering how to get the ground in Mank off the rear window properly... :D:D

Wul
25th May 2006, 06:28 PM
Although i'd use an old piece of claybar on your windows rather than the same one you use on your paint. remember kids - break the clay into 3 so that if you drop it (you will - believe me) you still have spare bits to use. :)

Burple
25th May 2006, 07:24 PM
...But..but...but.. the clay bar's *ALL* new.. not used it yet :p:p:p:D

Wul
25th May 2006, 07:41 PM
Well then use it on the paint first - it's just to save any horrible window nasties sticking to the clay then scoring your lovely paint!!

and no I wouldn't advise using it on your head!! :p

Burple
25th May 2006, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Well then use it on the paint first - it's just to save any horrible window nasties sticking to the clay then scoring your lovely paint!!

and no I wouldn't advise using it on your head!! :p

<looks suspicious>

wot? <cof>

<puts own clay bar>

Dunno wot you mean....
:p:p

Wul
25th May 2006, 09:17 PM
Smooth as glass eh!!?? ;)

KenL
25th May 2006, 10:03 PM
If you do drop a bit of clay don't use it on your paint. Don't through it away either but use it for removing those baked on pieces of brake dust from your wheels.

alanm73
26th May 2006, 03:37 AM
Cheer for the help and suggestions, I have went for the sonus clay from ebay so will let you know how i get on with it.

KenL
26th May 2006, 04:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by alanm73

Cheer for the help and suggestions, I have went for the sonus clay from ebay so will let you know how i get on with it.

Does it come with any lubricant?

If not, don't worry. Get a plant sprayer and fill with water and some car wash solution. Mix it stronger than you would for washing the car. Maybe about the same you would put in a bucket into the sprayer.

Remember to wash your car, then rinse - no need to dry obviously before claying.

Frequently kneed (is spelling correct? it's what you do with bread dough) the clay to move any crud into the centre. You can use the same bit of clay several times. You only need to do this every six months or so to your car, unless of course, you are as obsessed as Wul :p

Wul
26th May 2006, 07:32 PM
Good advice Ken :D - hows that golf of yours?

KenL
26th May 2006, 07:48 PM

Good advice Ken :D - hows that golf of yours?

The Golf is fine thanks. Done 20k miles now. That is 2 years I have been without the MINI, doesn't time fly.

I still see some great looking MINIs around. Looking forward to hearing how good the new one is.

N12 JLK
28th May 2006, 03:42 AM
Bought meguires clay bar today and the car looks spanking, after that 2 coats of Tec wax , cant believe how smooth this makes the car:):)

Wul
28th May 2006, 09:56 PM
Used the sonus clay bar yesterday on the car - excellent product - better than the Megs one IMHO :eek:

KenL
29th May 2006, 07:02 PM

Used the sonus clay bar yesterday on the car - excellent product - better than the Megs one IMHO :eek:

I've not tried th eMegs one but have read some people say it is a bit on the soft side!

I have a Swissol one which seems pretty good.

Wul
29th May 2006, 09:30 PM
The problem I noticed with the megs one is it starts to dissintegrate as you use it! the Sonus one was finer too - much less marring where you have a lot of tar spots ie the bootlid etc which means less work with the paint cleanser.

Coop
30th May 2006, 08:41 PM
Bit of a new kid question - but is the claybar used like polish to go right over the car ie when you have finished cleaning your car yu get the clay and polish it in? Cheers for any advice or tips cos Ive never really heard of this before

S7JGW
30th May 2006, 10:13 PM
Na, Claybar is used after washing before polishing, to remove all the stuck on tree sap etc which makes your paint feel rough. You dont need to clay your car every time you polish the car just about 1 to 2 times a year.
I usually, Wash, then clay, then wash again, then polish, then sealant / wax.
Hope it helps coop, Jim

Coop
31st May 2006, 01:05 AM
Many thanks Jim!

N12 JLK
31st May 2006, 04:19 AM
Thats the way to do it!!;)

AndyP & Lenore
31st May 2006, 04:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Thats the way to do it!!;)

You sound like Punch & Judy.;):D

The Bull
1st June 2006, 05:12 AM
Clayed for the first time today and omg, how good is it? I couldn't believe the difference it made. Like glass as they say. ;)

Gismo
27th June 2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, i've decided i'm gonna clean Mili when i get home, so, off to buy the Sonus clay bar :cool:

Big Col
27th June 2006, 04:33 PM
Mate going by the state of your motor you'd need more clay than pottery barn!!! :)

Craig
27th June 2006, 04:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Ok, i've decided i'm gonna clean Mili when i get home, so, off to buy the Sonus clay bar :cool:

I hope Dougal is going to get the same great treatment... ;):D:approve:

Gismo
27th June 2006, 04:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd
I hope Dougal is going to get the same great treatment... ;):D:approve:Should already be done by you mate, prior to sale ;):p:I

Gismo
27th June 2006, 04:52 PM
As i can't remember exactly what cleaning stuff i have in my garage i can't order the rest of the cleaning stuff :p

Allan
27th June 2006, 08:08 PM
I used the Sonus clay on a realy hot day and it was like chewing gum, wasnt really good when it was like that. Had to keep dipping it in cold water. Maybe im just used to the meguiars clay which is quite tough, but I know what your saying about the wearing away Wul, I need to keep heating it up with my hands to stop it from doing that.

There was an experiment on the megs forum which was quite good a while ago, Ill go fish it out for you guys.

Allan

Allan
27th June 2006, 08:17 PM
Here ya go
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2681&highlight=