PDA

View Full Version : £30 fine

fireman01
23rd May 2006, 05:41 AM
Just got in from work to find my other half has been stopped on her way home from work and given a £30 fine by two traffic cops on motorbikes,the reason tinted windows,i didn't think my tints were to dark,but the police say they are only getting a 33% reading on the machine and to be legal needs to be 70%,not sure what to do, leave them on and take my chances,remove altogether or have them redone VERY light,either way what a pain in the a&+! this is,anybody else had this problem?

sleepyrascal
23rd May 2006, 06:09 AM
this thread pops up now and again. Basically the front windows (although they dont look it) are pre tinted from the factory to about 5% ish. I got a 25% tint on all round to keep it even so I am legal and it still looks pretty dark.

Dont take your chances, you will just get stopped again! Its so easy fot the coppers to spot!

AeroJonny
23rd May 2006, 07:34 AM
yeah, your tints are pretty dark. They look great on the car, but the traffs love pullin people for it. I'd go with what sleepy says and get a lighter smoke done.

Although...my mate got done for parking partially on a zebra crossing, £60 and three points and the cops never even checked his insurance which may or may not have had ;)...nor did they check his tints which are so dark that he puts down the windows at junctions at night ;).

AndyP & Lenore
23rd May 2006, 07:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

...nor did they check his tints which are so dark that he puts down the windows at junctions at night ;).

To be perfectly honest, if your mates tints are so dark he has to put his window down at night, it's only a matter of time before he's stopped and his car put off the road 'till their removed. And if he pulled out in front of me because of them, I'd no be a happy chappy, thats for sure.:mad:

Big Col
23rd May 2006, 03:12 PM
It is a bit stoopid havin' tints that are too dark for you to see out at night aint it? I mean people would slap anyone wearing sunglasses at night (unless they're Blade or Morpheous:D) 'cos it'd be dangerous so what's the diff? I know it's not the windscreen but still.

Craig
23rd May 2006, 04:06 PM
sorry this happened to you, but as sleepy says we get this every now and again.

to clarify though, ANY tint on your front windows makes them illegal by law. They may look like a very light tint, however the tint on the windows applied by MINI is to the legal maximum before they leave the factory. Therefore if you tint your front windows in any manner they ARE illegal (including yours SR ;))

Unless they are very dark your very unlikely to get stopped for this alone, however if they stop you for something else (brake light out etc) then be prepared for them to check everything else, including your tints.

My advice would be removed them and save the hassle. :D

minimadtez
23rd May 2006, 04:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd
My advice would be remove them and save the hassle. :D

BORING!!!!! I have tints on my front and back windows, and have never had any problems at all.....if you tint your windows its the chance you take....although, if you pull them off there and then the police cant charge you.....but depends how much you like them. I know afew people in aberdeen who have had the police actually pull their tints off......if they DARED do that to my car there would be trouble!!! no1 touches my baby! (apart from dad and Bri, my personal mechanics!!)

Big Col
23rd May 2006, 07:57 PM
Pfff. Burds man. Drama queens the lot of 'em. :)

Burple
23rd May 2006, 08:01 PM
Cue Tez getting arrested for breach of the peace and kicking a police officer in the plums :D:blackeye::D:D

minimadtez
23rd May 2006, 08:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Cue Tez getting arrested for breach of the peace and kicking a police officer in the plums :D:blackeye::D:D

.....avoids £30 fine, gains prison sentence :D

Hadi
24th May 2006, 01:26 AM
quote:[i]Originally posted by AeroJonny

Although...my mate got done for parking partially on a zebra crossing, £60 and three points and the cops never even checked his insurance which may or may not have had ;)...nor did they check his tints which are so dark that he puts down the windows at junctions at night ;).

Your mate is looking at 3 points on his license, if they are beyond a certain tint you get points and have the car put off road, no ifs or buts, its just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

minimadtez
24th May 2006, 03:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Hadi

Your mate is looking at 3 points on his license, if they are beyond a certain tint you get points and have the car put off road, no ifs or buts, its just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

Not true.....if the problem is solved there and then (ie you rip off your tints), they cannot invalidate your MOT which is what they would normally do. therefore, they cannot continue with the points. That is classed as the warning, ripping off the tints solves the points and fine that would follow the warning.

fireman01
24th May 2006, 03:30 AM
the police also said she was very lucky,as if the reading was 30% or below it would have been a £60 fine and 3 points!!!!!!LUCKY F$&"ing LUCKY,lucky i wasn't there.

sleepyrascal
24th May 2006, 03:59 AM

Therefore if you tint your front windows in any manner they ARE illegal (including yours SR ;))

Mine are not illegal. The windows are 5% from the factory and I have 25% tint which = 30% tint. The front sides are allowed a 30% tint as (incase you havn't worked it out already) it allows 70% of light to pass through. I've been stopped for other things and the coppers didnt bother about my windows.

IF YOU CLICK THIS YOU WILL DIE (http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted%20windows%20information.pdf)

On other important thing if your gona have over tinted windows is that it will invalidate insurance claims where your ability to see may have been impared.

Sweeney
24th May 2006, 03:59 AM
never been a fan of tinted windows :p

sleepyrascal
24th May 2006, 04:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

never been a fan of tinted windows :p

I think we need to draw a line here. I have a very light tint which simply darkens the appearance of the car slightly.

Im not a fan of the dark tints you see on some cars.

Sweeney
24th May 2006, 04:08 AM
i'd probably like the look of that, although im on the same wavelength as regards to strong tints... but everyone to their own ;)

Craig
24th May 2006, 04:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

Therefore if you tint your front windows in any manner they ARE illegal (including yours SR ;))

Mine are not illegal. The windows are 5% from the factory and I have 25% tint which = 30% tint. The front sides are allowed a 30% tint as (incase you havn't worked it out already) it allows 70% of light to pass through. I've been stopped for other things and the coppers didnt bother about my windows.

IF YOU CLICK THIS YOU WILL DIE (http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted%20windows%20information.pdf)

On other important thing if your gona have over tinted windows is that it will invalidate insurance claims where your ability to see may have been impared.

"if I haven't worked it out already" :question::question:

If I didn't know any better I would think you are trying to take the p!ss !

go to your local cop shop and get them tested then SR, they we will see who is right. I only give CORRECT information.

anyway as said by others each to your own, if you want to break the law, on your own head be it.

minimadtez
24th May 2006, 04:13 PM
go to your local cop shop and get them tested then SR, they we will see who is right. I only give CORRECT information.

anyway as said by others each to your own, if you want to break the law, on your own head be it.

the point is....he says he isnt breaking the law! grrr people wind me up!!!

Big Col
24th May 2006, 04:15 PM
Sounded to me like he was takin' the p!ss right outta you Craig mate the scallywag! He says you smell too! He emailed me to tell me! :eek: ;)

Big Col
24th May 2006, 04:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by minimadtez
the point is....he isnt breaking the law! grrr people wind me up!!!
How's he not breaking the law?

GAJ
24th May 2006, 05:08 PM
SR will be breaking the law! The factory tint is more like 20% rather than the 5% that SR presumed, although I have heard it said that the factory tint actually only allows 72% transmission, so they are almost at the limit.

A boy over on MINI2 emailed Pentagon about this a while ago, pasted below -

Dear Sir,
I have just read your recent release regarding tinting windows in front of the B pillar. I have a New MINI with factory tint rear windows. Can you please tell me if I can tint the front two windows(passenger/driver) with your Light smoke and still be within the legal limits? Also do you know the percent of visible light transmission for the factory tinted windows?
Regards

And the reply -

Thank you for your enquiry. For the front two side windows to be legal there must be at least 70% visiblity. By putting light smoke onto the windows the percentage visibility would drop to 45%. Therefore, even light smoke is not legal.
Factory tinted privacy glass is generally 20% visibility.
I hope that helps.
If you have any further queries please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards

James Flannery
Retail Control Manager

Pentagon issued a statement that helps clarify the situation; it is available here. (http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/downloads/pentagon_legal_update.pdf).

For those to lazy to read it the bottom line is that ANY tint added to factory tinted windows, forward of the B-pillar renders them illegal!

AndyP & Lenore
24th May 2006, 05:20 PM
WOW! Even the Pentagon has got involved in this subject now! Wouldn't have thought it was a matter of National Security of the USA, but there you go.:eek:

<where's my coat?>;):p;)

Burple
24th May 2006, 05:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

WOW! Even the Pentagon has got involved in this subject now! Wouldn't have thought it was a matter of National Security of the USA, but there you go.:eek:

Didn't you know? Since they've solved all the rest of the World's problems now, and got the bestest president in the world ever, they have time to muck about with silly wee laws over here ;);):p:p:dead::blackeye:;)

The Dogfather
24th May 2006, 05:56 PM
they have time to muck about with silly wee laws over here ;);):p:p:dead::blackeye:;)

You mean that Scotland has laws to stop people from urinating in a funny way, Gawd, talk about nanny state :eek:

Burple
24th May 2006, 06:59 PM

So if he says he isn't breaking the law then he isn't? :p

If that's the case then I'll quite happily drive about ound town doing about 60. If anyone stops me I'll tell 'em I'm not breaking the law. That should cover it huh? No fines or points for me then.. :p:p:D

Burple
24th May 2006, 07:01 PM
quote:

You mean that Scotland has laws to stop people from urinating in a funny way, Gawd, talk about nanny state :eek:

Yip. Any comedy urinating is frowned upon.. :p

minimadtez
24th May 2006, 07:06 PM

So if he says he isn't breaking the law then he isn't? :p

If that's the case then I'll quite happily drive about ound town doing about 60. If anyone stops me I'll tell 'em I'm not breaking the law. That should cover it huh? No fines or points for me then.. :p:p:D

[/quote]

I dont mean that! what i mean is...craigd said "if you want to break the law, on your head be it"....sleepy didnt think he WAS breaking the law.....so did not WANT to!

however,.......my windows are tinted, looks really nice, yes its illegal and if i get stopped ill worry about that at the time....ive had no problems so far. i can see out of them, so as long as i dont give the police a reason to pull me over, chances are ill be fine with the wondows. ive been stopped before for something else, the windows werent mentioned.

Burple
24th May 2006, 07:41 PM
quote:

I dont mean that! what i mean is...craigd said "if you want to break the law, on your head be it"....sleepy didnt think he WAS breaking the law.....so did not WANT to!

I know... but I couldn't resist! :D:D:D:D:p:p:p

quote:
however,.......my windows are tinted, looks really nice, yes its illegal and if i get stopped ill worry about that at the time....ive had no problems so far. i can see out of them, so as long as i dont give the police a reason to pull me over, chances are ill be fine with the wondows. ive been stopped before for something else, the windows werent mentioned.

The fronts on my last car were tinted too, and I never got any bother about them, and I think they were a medium tint. There was never any question about seeing through the tint, my view wan't obscured in any way. I'm just not taking the chance with this one :I:p Although I'd *love* to have them match the rears!
Yeah, I tink it's a stupid law,and there are still plenty of Neds flying about here with really dark windows.
:mad:

I'm really gonna miss how cool they keep the car in the summer, the difference is amazing! I wish they'd reconsider the amount of light (or lack of) they'd take to be 'illegal', cos I miss the added security from break-ins too. :( Yeah, I know you can get 'clear' window film, but it just doesn't look as nice! :p:p:p:D:D

minimadtez
24th May 2006, 08:07 PM
LOVE my car, LOVE my tints, miss my car.....need gearbox fixed :(

sleepyrascal
24th May 2006, 08:50 PM

"if I haven't worked it out already" :question::question:

If I didn't know any better I would think you are trying to take the p!ss !

Naw I was just stating the obvious, not taking the piss. Didn't mean to anyway. Little bit sensitive are ye ? :D

I was told that the windows come with a 5% tint simply due to the degree of purity in the glass. Which in turn meant I could have a 25% tint, which in turn means I wouldn't be illegal.

I'll get it tested and post up the results. That shoud sort this one out.

sleepyrascal
24th May 2006, 09:10 PM
GAJ is that what you presume? I didnt presume... Its a fact. MINI2 (http://www.mini2.com/forum/exterior/106727-window-tinting-thread-pics-advice.html) did extensive research on this and found that the windows are 5% tint from factory. However they do say this can vary by a few % so they say to be totally safe, assume the windows are no more than 10%.

My windows tints are 25% but having been exposed to sunlight for over 2 years they will be more like 20% now.

Anyway, as i said, i'm gona get it tested just to be on the safe side.

Scottie
24th May 2006, 09:38 PM
GAJ is that what you presume? I didnt presume... Its a fact. MINI2 (http://www.mini2.com/forum/exterior/106727-window-tinting-thread-pics-advice.html) did extensive research on this and found that the windows are 5% tint from factory. However they do say this can vary by a few % so they say to be totally safe, assume the windows are no more than 10%.

My windows tints are 25% but having been exposed to sunlight for over 2 years they will be more like 20% now.

does it really matter anyhow. Thought you were selling the car. I would nae bother.

Not seen many 3 series with tints isn't that what you are after.;)

GAJ
24th May 2006, 09:48 PM

It's not a fact. It's an opinion. Another opinion is expressed in this (http://www.mini2.com/forum/exterior/112237-tints-illegal.html?highlight=legal+tint) thread, particularly the comment posted Mar 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM. Take a chill pill mate!

minimadtez
24th May 2006, 10:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

It's not a fact. It's an opinion. Another opinion is expressed in this (http://www.mini2.com/forum/exterior/112237-tints-illegal.html?highlight=legal+tint) thread, particularly the comment posted Mar 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM. Take a chill pill mate!

Another 'opinion' is that more than one person needs to take a chill pill!

sleepyrascal
24th May 2006, 10:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

The thread i quoted was a chap who went out and got all the info as part of a larger research project and found it to be 5%. The thread you posted was just a bunch of folk saying things like "dont quote me on that" and "i think". Why are you telling me to take a chill pill? I'm just giving a response to the comments. I'm not just gona take every work you say as gospel.

Face it, its 5% (+/- 1 or 2 %) until you can prove otherwise with some solid form of evidence like I did. I expect your response to that would be somethin galong the lines of.. "take a chill pill mate, ive got better things to do with my time" :D

Scottie, yes I am selling the car but need to graduate etc first so its a few weeks down the line yet. Also waiting to be paid for work I did last year :mad:!

As far as I was aware my windows were legal, so if what Gaj and Craig are saying is correct, (that standard windows are tinted to 20% and that my tints are illegal) I want to take the tints off. But it doesnt look like anyone can offer a valid argument against mine so i'm gona get them tested.. end of. ;)

And no I wouldn't tint my windows again, unless it was tinted glass (rather than film).

Craig
25th May 2006, 12:33 AM
i went and got my car checked today at my "local" traffic department.

My car has no tints on the front windows (ie as it left the MINI factory) and I have had them checked with the "Tintman" machine which most forces use to test them. My front windows were allowing 75% of the light through (ie 25% tint).

I also got them to check my back windows (which have the BMW Tint) that you can spec when buying the car. This came out as allowing 25% of the light (ie blocking 75% of light) which astounded me 'cos if you look at them, they don't look very very dark.

I hope this clears up any "confusion" and if I did seem sensitive earlier, that's because I am :eek::approve:. I do cry at some things... ;) (new age man me.... ;))

I would say if yours were tested Sleepy, they would come out at about 50% and would cost you a fine.. I would just take them off and save yourself the money. (again just my opinion and not wishing to upset anyone...)

Scottie
25th May 2006, 12:38 AM

My car has no tints on the front windows (ie as it left the MINI factory) and I have had them checked with the "Tintman" machine which most forces use to test them. My front windows were allowing 75% of the light through (ie 25% tint).

I also got them to check my back windows (which have the BMW Tint) that you can spec when buying the car. This came out as allowing 25% of the light (ie blocking 75% of light) which astounded me 'cos if you look at them, they don't look very very dark.

I hope this clears up any "confusion" and if I did seem sensitive earlier, that's because I am :eek::approve:. I do cry at some things... ;) (new age man me.... ;))

I would say if yours were tested Sleepy, they would come out at about 50% and would cost you a fine.. I would just take them off and save yourself the money. (again just my opinion and not wishing to upset anyone...)

I knew that:approve:

that you greet over anything.;):p

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 12:40 AM

A copper from the motorbike brigade just called me. He said he would come and test but said there was virtually no point becasue they would be illegal. He said the windows standard will be anything up to 10% but the tint and the glass react so if you have a 25% tint it ends up being more like 35% or 40%.

So it turns out my windows are illegal :(

I'll be borrowing my girlfriends hair drier tonight me thinks!! :D

The Dogfather
25th May 2006, 01:03 AM

Why is yours broken? :D

minimadtez
25th May 2006, 02:16 AM

you aint seriously telling me you thought they were legal? and are gonna take them off coz u have 'just realised'?!?!?! you have driven it like that long enough. im not believing that finding out they are too dark is making u peel it off? :evil:

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 03:10 AM

you aint seriously telling me you thought they were legal? and are gonna take them off coz u have 'just realised'?!?!?! you have driven it like that long enough. im not believing that finding out they are too dark is making u peel it off? :evil:

I didnt know it was illegal. But thats not why im taking them off. The cop I spoke to today told me that it would count against me in the event of a crash and even if your back windows are tinted (which is legal) this is also used against you in a case where you are involved in an accident.

I also removed them from my insurance policy a few days ago.

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 03:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Why is yours broken? :D

No I never got it back from you when you had that emergency bad hair day scare! :D

GAJ
25th May 2006, 03:53 AM
That's kind of what I thought, and what I said earlier i think!:approve:
The tintman machines are very sensitive and even little specs of dust or tiny scratches seriously affect the readings that are given so even clear glass often won't give a 100% reading.

The Dogfather
25th May 2006, 05:39 AM
No I never got it back from you when you had that emergency bad hair day scare! :D

Sweety, I never have a bad hair day ;):kiss:

Big Col
25th May 2006, 06:00 AM

you aint seriously telling me you thought they were legal? and are gonna take them off coz u have 'just realised'?!?!?!

No Frikkin WONDER you women confuse the hell outta us blokes!!!! :eek::blackeye::D

Hey Sleepy you SURE you want to get rid of you MINI? Come on! Go to the window and LOOK at it! How could you give that tinted lill beastie up:question: :D

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 06:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

you aint seriously telling me you thought they were legal? and are gonna take them off coz u have 'just realised'?!?!?!

No Frikkin WONDER you women confuse the hell outta us blokes!!!! :eek::blackeye::D

Hey Sleepy you SURE you want to get rid of you MINI? Come on! Go to the window and LOOK at it! How could you give that tinted lill beastie up:question: :D

With all the problems it has given me and money it has absorbed... VERY easily Col! If I had the cash I would buy a new MINI but I don't. I'll have another one some day!! ;)

minimadtez
25th May 2006, 06:36 AM

My first comment was commenting on the fact 'craigd' was implying sleepy thought each morning, "id like to go out and drive illegally"!!!! my second comment was the fact i thought it was accepted by people with window tints that they would draw more police attention, and that they are, in some cases illegal!

end of discussion.....this is becoming far too heated and petty for something as simple as peoples window tinting preferences.

p.s......my car is sexy.....tints n all!!!!! :D

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 06:55 AM

My first comment was commenting on the fact 'craigd' was implying sleepy thought each morning, "id like to go out and drive illegally"!!!! my second comment was the fact i thought it was accepted by people with window tints that they would draw more police attention, and that they are, in some cases illegal!

end of discussion.....this is becoming far too heated and petty for something as simple as peoples window tinting preferences.

p.s......my car is sexy.....tints n all!!!!! :D

Its just a shame it cant actually drive anywhere :D

minimadtez
25th May 2006, 07:21 AM

thans mean :(

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 07:28 AM

thans mean :(

Hey, I feel you pain!!!!!! In fact I feel it more becasue I paid almost full what to have it sorted :(

Craig
25th May 2006, 04:04 PM
quote:

wooooooooaaaaah there.... I didn't imply anything. Sleepy admitted himself that he kinda knew that the tints weren't legal, but had gone on the information provided by other sources... I was only trying to ensure that people can make informed choices as to whether or not they are driving a vehicle that is legal on the road (and thus complying with your insurance..)

That is where my comment "if you want to break the law, on your own head be it". for example, if you want to speed, house break, vandalise etc etc etc..

as for petty :question::question: if someone crashed into me with illegally tinted front windows I would not be happy, and I would have an even harder job getting my car fixed as that person's insurance would be invalid... it's not just as cut and dried as "tints don't harm anyone.."

<anybody want my soapbox now ??>

minimadtez
25th May 2006, 04:52 PM

as for petty :question::question: if someone crashed into me with illegally tinted front windows I would not be happy, and I would have an even harder job getting my car fixed as that person's insurance would be invalid... it's not just as cut and dried as "tints don't harm anyone.."

Thats a load of rubbish! if YOU were claiming, because this REBEL with tinted windows had crashed into you, their tints would not come into it.....the insurance dont say "right, we will inspect the other car" unless there was a dispute as to whos fault it was!!!!!

im unsubscribing from this topic, its getting beyond rediculous!!!

Scottie
25th May 2006, 05:02 PM

Thats a load of rubbish! if YOU were claiming, because this REBEL with tinted windows had crashed into you, their tints would not come into it.....the insurance dont say "right, we will inspect the other car" unless there was a dispute as to whos fault it was!!!!!

Hello minimadtez you certanly getting a bit mad this morning:D:blackeye:;):p

Ok I'll leave the thread.;):p:clown:

Big Col
25th May 2006, 05:28 PM
You should get down from that soapbox mate. It might stop your point flying over some people's heads. ;):D:)

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 05:58 PM

[quote]

It was interesting what the police guy said to me about rear tints and that they would almost certainly be used against u in the case of an accident. That means even factory tinted windows ar a bad idea!

It's strange though becasue Tesco Insurance charged me £200 additional fee on my policy when I declared my exhaust (no power gain) and wheels, but when I declared my front and rear tints, they didn't charge any extra even with the aparent increaed risk of having or being involved in an accident. Perhaps they know they can be held less accountable if tints are fitted, although that seems a bit sinister for a large company such as tesco. I suppose it could also be becasue tint film is actually just darkened security film which stops the window being smashed... but still.

Burple
25th May 2006, 06:13 PM
quote:

Spot who's never been involved in an accident! :p
If someone crashes into YOU, I'm sure the Police would want to know WHY. So they'll check the car that did the crshing into. If they hit you because they had faulty brakes I'm sure you'd want to know about it. Same applies with tints really. if that was the cause of the crash (poor visibility on the part of the other driver) I'm sure you'd want to know about it? So when this other persons insurance is chased up, and your company informs them of the details, the other company will be well within their rights to invalidate the other persons insurance because the tints are illegal. Then you're screwed because you'll have to claim off your OWN insurance. You'll have to pay your excess, and (I think depending on the cost of repairs) your insurance WILL increase the next year, and unless your no claims bonuses are protected, you'll lose some too. Not to mention that the next time you look for insurance you'll have to put that claim down as an 'at fault' claim since there was no other insurance to claim from. And THAT will affect any quotes you get too. Unfortunately I know most of this from experience. My Insurance pretty much DOUBLED because the $%"£$^%£^$%^"$ who hit me had no insurance. Doesn't sound very fair to me, considering I did nothing wrong.
Plus I'm sure the Police would like to have a word with you (probably involving 'Careless' or 'Dangerous' and 'Driving')cos of your tints... :p:p

(not a rant - just experience) :(

Wul
25th May 2006, 06:26 PM
Bin the tints and buy a pair of raybans man! :p

The Dogfather
25th May 2006, 06:31 PM
Tints, the automotive version of net curtains.........

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 06:49 PM

[quote]

If someone crashes into YOU, I'm sure the Police would want to know WHY. So they'll check the car that did the crshing into. If they hit you because they had faulty brakes I'm sure you'd want to know about it. Same applies with tints really. if that was the cause of the crash (poor visibility on the part of the other driver) I'm sure you'd want to know about it? So when this other persons insurance is chased up, and your company informs them of the details, the other company will be well within their rights to invalidate the other persons insurance because the tints are illegal.

An insurance company can't do that though! If someone had tints and they crashed into another person, the police then have to calculate how likely it was that the tints directly caused the accident. If they find that they did, then the driver gets done for dangerous driving and the insurance company dont have to pay out for the guy with the tints, but they still have to pay the other guy. Its the law. But if the police were to find that the tints had nothing to do with it, for example, if your sitting at traffic lights and you drive into the person in front of you, then the insurance company or police cant hold the tints against you. However the police would still charge you for the tints. If it's excessive, the slap dangerous driving on you. Thats roughly what I was told by a bobby yeterday.

This happened to my sis. She had a non standard exhaust, wheels and tints when she had her accident. The insurance boffins simply said they wouldnt pay for the wheels or exhaust to be replaced, but they would pay the rest.

Having someone crashing into you who has NO insurance is an entirely different ball game. Your looking at taking them to court in that case.

Burple
25th May 2006, 07:19 PM
quote:

Having someone crashing into you who has NO insurance is an entirely different ball game. Your looking at taking them to court in that case.

That's if the Police can actually catch the wee £$%"$" who abondoned his (possibly) stolen car and legged it into a housing estate with his 3 mates in tow.
Then they come round to your house with their 'little book of Neds' and try to persuade you that they think 'someone on this page' might have been the one driving, despite you being the one there seeing the guys face as he scrapes the manky fiesta along the side of your car to escape. And the fact that not one person on that page actually looked like the guy who hit me :mad:

Did they catch any of them? yeah right.
Who did it end up costing? yeah. me.
Bitter? yes. :mad:

In the end the insurance companies ARE NOT there to protect your property, they exist to make money, from the easiest target around - just liek 'safety cameras'. I'm not complaing about tinted windows at all, my last car had them all round, and I'd LOVE to have them back on the new car. But it's just not worth it :(:(

sleepyrascal
25th May 2006, 07:32 PM

quote:

That's if the Police can actually catch the wee £$%"$" who abondoned his (possibly) stolen car and legged it into a housing estate with his 3 mates in tow.
Then they come round to your house with their 'little book of Neds' and try to persuade you that they think 'someone on this page' might have been the one driving, despite you being the one there seeing the guys face as he scrapes the manky fiesta along the side of your car to escape. And the fact that not one person on that page actually looked like the guy who hit me :mad:

Did they catch any of them? yeah right.
Who did it end up costing? yeah. me.
Bitter? yes. :mad:

In the end the insurance companies ARE NOT there to protect your property, they exist to make money, from the easiest target around - just liek 'safety cameras'. I'm not complaing about tinted windows at all, my last car had them all round, and I'd LOVE to have them back on the new car. But it's just not worth it :(:(

That sucks!!!! I hate neds!!

minimadtez
25th May 2006, 08:05 PM

Spot who's never been involved in an accident! :p
If someone crashes into YOU, I'm sure the Police would want to know WHY. So they'll check the car that did the crshing into. If they hit you because they had faulty brakes I'm sure you'd want to know about it. Same applies with tints really. if that was the cause of the crash (poor visibility on the part of the other driver) I'm sure you'd want to know about it? So when this other persons insurance is chased up, and your company informs them of the details, the other company will be well within their rights to invalidate the other persons insurance because the tints are illegal. Then you're screwed because you'll have to claim off your OWN insurance. You'll have to pay your excess, and (I think depending on the cost of repairs) your insurance WILL increase the next year, and unless your no claims bonuses are protected, you'll lose some too. Not to mention that the next time you look for insurance you'll have to put that claim down as an 'at fault' claim since there was no other insurance to claim from. And THAT will affect any quotes you get too. Unfortunately I know most of this from experience. My Insurance pretty much DOUBLED because the $%"£$^%£^$%^"$ who hit me had no insurance. Doesn't sound very fair to me, considering I did nothing wrong.
Plus I'm sure the Police would like to have a word with you (probably involving 'Careless' or 'Dangerous' and 'Driving')cos of your tints... :p:p

(not a rant - just experience) :(

I have!!!

AndyP & Lenore
27th May 2006, 05:48 PM
Just found this article on BBC News Website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/5019572.stm

The Dogfather
27th May 2006, 06:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Just found this article on BBC News Website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/5019572.stm

I think Duncan posted this in another thread as well. Looks like they'll be cracking down on the pimp mobiles :p