PDA

View Full Version : New iMac owner! So far not too bad.

The Dogfather
22nd May 2006, 07:58 AM
Well I finally did it yesterday I bought my first Mac. It's the 17" iMac, I decided the Macbook screen would be too small for working on Photos and that the 20" wouldn't allow me enough cash for other kit.

I've spent nearly 12 hours adding info, transfering files, sorting out email accounts, networking to PCs etc. I'm just about getting used to not right clicking, although its a bit frustrating finding out and remembering special keys as I'm not one for reading help files :I

I'm still using my PC laptop for photo editing as I've not got a decent replacement for Photoshop yet. How does photoshop compare with photoshop elements, anybody know:question:

So far I like some bits about OSX but I miss some features from Windows, I suppose it'll take time for me to figure out different ways of doing things.

:)

sleepyrascal
22nd May 2006, 08:20 AM
Why use photoshop elements? Just get photoshop for the mac! You can download it easily enough im sure!!

I actually quite like the mac. It is know in the indusrty as the 'toy' computer but i guess thats just hardcore PC talk.

They certainly do look nice. We created our entire project on PC but for the purposes of the London exhibiton were using big ass 20" IMAC G5s becasue they do look ace!

AndyP & Lenore
22nd May 2006, 08:23 AM
< stands back and waits for a KJ/GAJ fandango!:eek::blackeye::D;)

Mark R
22nd May 2006, 08:26 AM
Congratulations on the new Mac. I've often heard that new Mac users should just buy a two button mouse. If you bought a new iMac you should have a Mighty Mouse though so you can go into system preferences and keyboard and mouse pane, click the right primary button item and change it to secondary button then you'll be able to right-click.

I've been using PSE for a while and find it does pretty much everything I need in terms of photo editing. Never used Photoshop though so not too sure what it's missing from that. I know there is something about masks not being in PSE but you can create a new layer to get one if you need it as a workaround since every new layer contains one.

Monsta Mo Mini
22nd May 2006, 06:21 PM
Unless you're doing high end photographic retouching, complex masks, colour correction, etc. etc. etc. then element will do fine for any non-professional user. It's also a damn site cheaper!

Paul - buy a mouse with 2 buttons or use the alt key ;)

The Dogfather
22nd May 2006, 06:41 PM
I'm trying to find a keyboard with a built in trackpad to so I can have the iMac on the coffee table with the keyboard on my lap. So that should sort the right click problem :). Cheers for the advice elements it is, if I need to do anything more complex I've still got photoshop 6 on my PC laptop anyway.

The Dogfather
23rd May 2006, 07:31 AM
Just found the speech thingy, how cool is that - You say 'Computer what time is it' it tells you the time. Theres with a shed load of other commands as well.:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
23rd May 2006, 07:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Just found the speech thingy, how cool is that - You say 'Computer what time is it' it tells you the time. Theres with a shed load of other commands as well.:cool:

Try.

"Computer, make me breakfast. Eggs scrambled (not too wattery mind), bacon nice and crispy, toast well buttered and a couple of lovely hash browns please."

Sh!t, I'm hungry now.:D

The Dogfather
23rd May 2006, 08:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
Try.

"Computer, make me breakfast. Eggs scrambled (not too wattery mind), bacon nice and crispy, toast well buttered and a couple of lovely hash browns please."

Sh!t, I'm hungry now.:D

Should have tried that with Jackie it was my Birthday today (technically Yesterday at time of posting). Damn it, I'll have to wait for another year :disapprove:

Big Col
23rd May 2006, 03:14 PM

You wont get one of them mate. KJ doesn't have the bottle. :D

AndyP & Lenore
23rd May 2006, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/stickpoke.gif ;)

Burple
23rd May 2006, 11:01 PM

quote:Originally posted by Big Col

http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/stickpoke.gif ;)

Lol... I love that smiley! :D:D:cool:

3GGG
25th May 2006, 06:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

I think Calum meant the CTRL key for right clicking with a one button mouse.

The Dogfather
25th May 2006, 06:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Thanks David, I've now got the 'mighty mouse' set up for right clicking so I'm feeling more at home with OSX. Only thing that's disappointed me so far is programs crashing, I though Mac weren't supposed to do that. Perhaps I'm trying to do too many things at once.

Monsta Mo Mini
25th May 2006, 07:40 PM
quote:

That's what i meant :) lettering has worn off my control and alt keys so forgot which is which:clown:

3GGG
25th May 2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks David, I've now got the 'mighty mouse' set up for right clicking so I'm feeling more at home with OSX. Only thing that's disappointed me so far is programs crashing, I though Mac weren't supposed to do that. Perhaps I'm trying to do too many things at once.

No shouldn't do that...

Any particular program that is doing it?

Try running Disk Utility (In Applications/Utilities) and Repair Permissions on your Disk.

The Dogfather
25th May 2006, 11:31 PM
Yesterday it was itunes and iSync. I was ripping a CD whilst updating my phone, I just put it down to trying to do too much at once. I'll give it a go but surely there shouldn't be a problem I've only had it since Saturday.

3GGG
25th May 2006, 11:47 PM
When you say it crashed, what happened, did one application stop responding and you had to force quit it? - or did the whole machine freeze and you had to restart?

macblob
26th May 2006, 01:46 AM
congrats on the new mac :)

The Dogfather
26th May 2006, 03:11 AM
David it was the force quit thingy, which is very like Ctrl+Alt+Del on a PC. The machine did freeze up when my external hard-drive switched itself off though.

3GGG
26th May 2006, 03:55 AM

David it was the force quit thingy, which is very like Ctrl+Alt+Del on a PC. The machine did freeze up when my external hard-drive switched itself off though.

It must be infectious - My Mail app quit itself twice this evening. I also had a Kernel panic on wake up from sleep. These Macs eh :mad:

I must say that generally I can go for weeks without anything breaking. However sometimes Apple brings out a system update that makes other apps fall over until the software is updated.

Intel Macs are slightly more prone to software problems at this time as not everything is Intel native yet. I'm still in the dark ages here with a G3 a G4 and a G5.

The Dogfather
26th May 2006, 06:00 AM
I'm sure as the Intel Machines bed in any bugs will be sorted out