PDA

View Full Version : The English World Cup

Gismo
21st May 2006, 03:12 AM
BBC World Cup Guidelines for commentary team.
1 - Within 1 minute of kick off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica), the commentator must mention England.
2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England have to be mentioned within the first minute.
3 - The commentator shall refer to the Falkland Isles in passing at some point in the match if England play Argentina.
4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst will be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.
5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then '1966' should be mentioned approximately 20 times.
6 - 1966 will be mentioned approximately 10 times a match, or only on 4 or 5 occasions for matches not involving England.
7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team lifting the trophy, the commentator will mention Bobby Moore. And 1966.
8 - When Germany are playing, they must be referred to as being arrogant by the commentator on at least 14 occasions. This must refer to their style, their passing, their haircuts and their general footballing ability.
9 - Should England play Germany, mentions of Winston Churchill, Dambusters, The Luftwaffe and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory. And 1966.
10 - All Scottish members of our commentary team must continue to refer to England as "we" and "us".
11 - We must ensure that nationlistic stereotypes are adhered to. Of course, the Germans are arrogant. The Spanish are bottlers, The Ivory Coast are fast but bad at defending, The Angolans are disorganised, The Argentinians are cheats and the French are only good because their best players play in England.
12 - For matches not involving England, we must only discuss the players that are playing in England. (eg - Holland v Argentina should be referred to as Van Nistelroy v Crespo).
13 - The mythical "bulldog spirit" phrase should be used as often as possible.
14 - Each match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."
15 - Should any player be involved in an injury that involves the loss of teeth, then references to Nobby Stiles and 1966 are compulsory.
16 - If in doubt, mention 1966.
17 - Praise all of the stunning new stadiums in Germany but emphasise that they lack the presence of Wembley, the spiritual home of football since 1966.
18 - Commentators should feel free to imitate the style of Kenneth Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.
19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be mentioned.

Sweeney
21st May 2006, 03:14 AM
haha thats good :D

X30YES
21st May 2006, 03:20 AM
:eek:..how true :D:D:D

john
21st May 2006, 03:25 AM
At least you like football:)

I on the other hand will be cracking up for a long time(resist the comments)

Coop
21st May 2006, 03:44 AM
Superb! Thats getting forwarded.........

Gismo
21st May 2006, 03:51 AM
And before VB starts hius nonesense :evil: let's just see what the commentaries reveal when the world cup actually starts ;):D

X30YES
21st May 2006, 03:54 AM
Its been printed , enlarged , and posted in the office and TV lounges :D:D.no boubt it will be added to :cool:

Crombers
21st May 2006, 04:26 AM
He he yup a good un , but waiting for VB to pop in for a natter on this one :p;):D

PS as a side , dont you think that if we had ever won the World Cup (like as if!!) we would be just the same

..........comment

The Dogfather
21st May 2006, 10:06 AM
I won't be adding to this thread! ;)

euan
21st May 2006, 05:11 PM
Someone sort him out ;)

I'm avoiding the commentry on the games by going to Germany, so I'll be in amongst 20,000 sweaty germans in the open air big screens where they are showing all the games ;)

All because I got match tickets....

X30YES
22nd May 2006, 12:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I won't be adding to this thread! ;)

You just did ya wee s**^E.get that crap off :mad:

Neil and Lorna
22nd May 2006, 01:08 AM
There was only 2 good things that happened in 1966.
I was born and Lorna was concieved.:D:D

Neil and Lorna.:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
22nd May 2006, 01:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Neil

One of those is questionable as to whether it was good. But I'm not saying which one.:D:D

X30YES
22nd May 2006, 01:47 AM
All depends who's watching ...or reading I guess ;)

Mon the fish
23rd May 2006, 03:06 AM
World Cup? Pff. We've got the Kirin cup :p

Sheilz
23rd May 2006, 04:35 AM
So who won?

N12 JLK
23rd May 2006, 04:46 AM

Was it not sunny also that day:)

AndyP & Lenore
23rd May 2006, 06:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Was it not sunny also that day:)

NOPE!:D:D:D:blackeye::blackeye::eek:;)

Craig
23rd May 2006, 04:17 PM
I never knew Neil was nearly middle aged.... :eek::blackeye::p:approve:

next he will be trading in for a cooper s works convertible... ;)

Burple
23rd May 2006, 05:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

So who won?

:D:D:D:D
You're SUCH a girl! :p:D

It's not even STARTED yet.
But if you're exposed to the media at all, you'd be forgiven to think a certain nation down south has. As usual. :p:D:D

X30YES
25th May 2006, 09:08 PM
The barstewards are at it again on the BBC news .... when Rooney's foot gets better he will be ready for the quarter finals, failing that..... most deff for the final ,at that point the breakfast was all over the table !!!!

Burple
25th May 2006, 10:32 PM
quote:when Rooney's foot gets better he will be ready for the quarter finals, failing that..... most deff for the final

When Rooney's foot gets better we'll be able to take over the world...again. Honest.

Face it England...

You HAD an Empire.
You HAD a great football team.
You MIGHT HAVE a great football team in the future at some point. When you win the World Cup again, THEN brag about it (We damn well would). Until that happens, STFU!!

:clown::clown::D

And going back to the original post on this thread, perhaps best NOT to make this a drinking game. Unless you live next door to A&E or want to be reliably trousered within the first 10 mins of every game played :p:p;);)

The Dogfather
25th May 2006, 11:17 PM
Actually it was the British Empire.......

BTW you do realise that in 1966 England won the world cup, just checking :D

Burple
26th May 2006, 12:26 AM

Actually it was the British Empire.......

BTW you do realise that in 1966 England won the world cup, just checking :D

Of Course it was.. and where was the throne of that Empire? ;)

Did England win the World Cup? I must have missed that. It's not been on the news, on the Telly, in the newspapers on advertising billboards, in magazines or anything..:p

and it's not like they've been trying to sell England tops in the shops up here.. :evil::evil::evil::blackeye::blackeye:

The Dogfather
26th May 2006, 12:49 AM
Of course they'll sell England tops up here 10% of the population of Scotlan is English :D We're the largest ethinic minority.

Throne? She's your Queen as well, she spends enough time up here ;) Plus they're bloody Germans, they'll not know who to support. BTW did Greece qualify, even more confusing for Phil the Greek.

Ewan, I'll send you some information about the 1966 worl cup if you'd like :question: I know you'd hate to be ill-informed ;)

Crombers
26th May 2006, 08:21 AM
Oh gawd , tin hat on already & we are weeks away :eek::p;):D

Burple
26th May 2006, 05:34 PM

Of course they'll sell England tops up here 10% of the population of Scotlan is English :D We're the largest ethinic minority.

Good grief.. the UK's unofficial designated winner of everything.. and now an Ethnic minority as well? ;):p

quote:
Throne? She's your Queen as well, she spends enough time up here ;) Plus they're bloody Germans, they'll not know who to support. BTW did Greece qualify, even more confusing for Phil the Greek.

They were put out by the Ukraine.. (sounds nippy)

quote:
Ewan, I'll send you some information about the 1966 worl cup if you'd like :question: I know you'd hate to be ill-informed ;)

Ah, crap.. this is worse than having the Jehovah's Witnesses round! ;):p:p:D:D:D

The Dogfather
26th May 2006, 05:55 PM
:D;)