PDA

View Full Version : Cooper question

Scottie
18th May 2006, 04:09 AM
had a few days driving my cooper and my cooper s back to back first thing I notice is the clutch is much lighter in the cooper than that of the S. will that be right??

Also drove my nephews Cooper recently when he got it and wisnae to impressed with the gearbox and the wee crunch you can get putting it into reverse if you do it in a hurry but got my cooper fitted with a short shift and OMG what a difference infact I would say it makes the change in the cooper so much better than the S and putting it into reverse now is just a wee click:D

Sweeney
18th May 2006, 04:12 AM
never driven a cooper s so wouldn't know if reverse grinds like it does on the cooper or if the clutch is lighter/heavier, although ive found my coopers clutch to be pretty light... reverse is a ba****d have to put it into 1st then reverse whilst stationary.

Although whats this short shift do then never seen one of those?

Scottie
18th May 2006, 04:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

never driven a cooper s so wouldn't know if reverse grinds like it does on the cooper or if the clutch is lighter/heavier, although ive found my coopers clutch to be pretty light... reverse is a ba****d have to put it into 1st then reverse whilst stationary.

Although whats this short shift do then never seen one of those?

nope reverse on a S does not grind it's over and up for reverse although you have to push it past the gate thingy if you know what I mean.

I thought it was only the early Cooper that crunched going into the reverse but certainly noticed on Ross's Cooper that unless you were gently it "crunched" his is only two weeks old.

Short shift ir brillant wouldn't have a mini without one and certainly really sorts out the gear change in the cooper IMO.

Sweeney
18th May 2006, 04:20 AM
mines grinded since day one, when ive been in the dealer and they are moving them about, they crunch with them. I find 2/3 times itll grind no matter what the situation unless i put it into 1st then reverse, im told its something to do with it not/having a syncromesh although im not that intelligent about that sort of thing yet ;)

whats involved with short shift then, what does it do?

Burple
18th May 2006, 04:24 AM
My One crunches a little bit going into reverse too occaisionally, but it's the same box as the Cooper now isn't it?

Scottie
18th May 2006, 04:25 AM

mines grinded since day one, when ive been in the dealer and they are moving them about, they crunch with them. I find 2/3 times itll grind no matter what the situation unless i put it into 1st then reverse, im told its something to do with it not/having a syncromesh although im not that intelligent about that sort of thing yet ;)

whats involved with short shift then, what does it do?

go visit the lohen website for info on the short shift and my friendly local dealer Calterdon ace workshop by the way:cool: fitted mines. Was fortunate as it cost me nothing to fit :D

Sweeney
18th May 2006, 04:27 AM
will do!

they fitted an aftermarket part? i thought it was policy for bmw/mini dealers not to?

Scottie
18th May 2006, 04:30 AM

will do!

they fitted an aftermarket part? i thought it was policy for bmw/mini dealers not to?
;):p H'mm I've had two delaers fit aftermarket parts and turn a blind eye;):p but then they knew better than to argue:D:kiss::kiss:

Sweeney
18th May 2006, 04:31 AM
bah! must be a shareholder then eh ;)

alanm73
18th May 2006, 06:35 AM
Would have to agree on the shortshift as the Alta one on my car well your old one's fantastic.

It is hard work getting it into reverse though!!