PDA

View Full Version : Menzies Loan Car

alanm73
18th May 2006, 01:50 AM
Put my Mini into Menzies tonight to get some paintwork done and they gave me Minime's old Cooper S Auto.

God does the auto box spoil the car or what, and it slow.

Roll on Monday Night!!!

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 02:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by alanm73

Put my Mini into Menzies tonight to get some paintwork done and they gave me Minime's old Cooper S Auto.

God does the auto box spoil the car or what, and it slow.

Roll on Monday Night!!!

:eek::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::eek:

Have to disagree, we love our Cooper S Auto and wouldn't change it for the world.

P.S. It's not slow.

Mini Me
18th May 2006, 02:50 AM
Alan,takes a bit of getting used to , thats all...
try sports mode:p it's no slouch !!!

<you do know what you have started>:eek::blackeye::p:evil:;)

Crombers
18th May 2006, 03:06 AM
Yup this could start a fight :p;):D

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 03:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Yup this could start a fight :p;):D

Not at all Allan.:D Everyone is entitled to their opinion.;)

<Lenore-dons-fighting-gloves> :evil::mad::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:;)

Scottie
18th May 2006, 04:00 AM
e'hhh HELLO paint job:eek::eek::eek: what you doing to my old car:(:p or what have you done that it requires a paint job:question:

Oh and I had a wee shot of that auto before Minime buggered it it was pretty quick but the revs need to be a lot higher than that of a manual. but then maybe that's cause Minime told be to "drive it like I stole it";):cool:

Mini Me
18th May 2006, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

e'hhh HELLO paint job:eek::eek::eek: what you doing to my old car:(:p or what have you done that it requires a paint job:question:

Oh and I had a wee shot of that auto before Minime buggered it it was pretty quick but the revs need to be a lot higher than that of a manual. but then maybe that's cause Minime told be to "drive it like I stole it";):cool:

i know,i know, i know:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Big Gordy
18th May 2006, 06:22 AM
I must have come out of menzies right behind you tonight:eek:Saw minime's old mini drive of right in front of me. You turned right at the roundabout and I went left to get petrol. I was in the red Mundane at the time :p:D:approve:

alanm73
18th May 2006, 06:32 AM
Well on first impressions of the Auto my Audi DSG was better.

Had it in sport down the motorway slip road and it dont go anything like a manual and supercharger just seems quieter and it dont pop the same off the power, or maybe i just hate autos.

As for the paintwork there were paintruns on the front bodykit to get fixed (How did u miss them scottiecoop?) and a chipped wheel to het refinished and one thats not laqured properly to get done and one of the vents below the windscreen to get replaced as one of its clips is broken.

Least i can go to the garden centre this weekend!!!!

Scottie
18th May 2006, 07:08 AM

Had it in sport down the motorway slip road and it dont go anything like a manual and supercharger just seems quieter and it dont pop the same off the power, or maybe i just hate autos.

As for the paintwork there were paintruns on the front bodykit to get fixed (How did u miss them scottiecoop?) and a chipped wheel to het refinished and one thats not laqured properly to get done and one of the vents below the windscreen to get replaced as one of its clips is broken.

Least i can go to the garden centre this weekend!!!!

e'hh must have slipped my mind to mention it when I was selling it back to Menzies;);) sorry:)

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 07:15 AM

The auto box in the MCS is an Aisin gearbox which is what Audi use.:approve:

The standard exhaust doesn't pop as much on an auto as on a manual:( but the Playmini exhasut we have pops plenty and sounds great.:p:D

Also have never noticed our supercharger being any quieter than our old manual S.

Sheilz
19th May 2006, 02:25 AM
Have to disagree, we love our Cooper S Auto and wouldn't change it for the world.

P.S. It's not slow.
[/quote]

I can vouch for that, I ad to try and keep up with it!

:D:D:D:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 02:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP&Lenore

P.S. It's not slow.

quote:Originally posted by Sheilz
I can vouch for that, I ad to try and keep up with it!

:D:D:D:D:D

LOL:D:D:D

X30YES
19th May 2006, 03:12 AM
I always get a car from DP ,never a Mini tho , BMW , cracking number plates as well , ie , BMW 316, 325, 525 ,etc etc , Kylies Kyles boss has DP99 on her car .Just chucking that in as it was of no relevance what's so ever ,however it fills a space and always gets some sort of reply :p

Sweeney
19th May 2006, 03:14 AM
speaking of registrations, what's the meaning behind x30yes?

X30YES
19th May 2006, 03:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

speaking of registrations, what's the meaning behind x30yes?
Good Idea for a thread leeRyan

Surname is BOYES ....80YES had been sold when I bought it ...;)
I thought about changing from Angus to Xavier to really make it good , my mom slapped me ;)...well I was 40 at the time :D:D

Sweeney
19th May 2006, 03:19 AM
ah right... looking at your profile could've explained it, im dense as ****! :clown:

change your name or reg plate ;)

X30YES
19th May 2006, 03:22 AM
That would be easy !! as in having GUS ,really wanted A80 YES ,...gone ,G80 YES and A13OYES also gone . But ABO6YES is still there for the taking :p

Sweeney
19th May 2006, 03:28 AM
you couldn't use that AB06, can only put plates on a car which are older than the car itself. (using current prefix) :p

X30YES
19th May 2006, 03:29 AM
The car is O6

Sweeney
19th May 2006, 03:31 AM
06 kicked in on march... you had that before the end of march though did you not?

X30YES
19th May 2006, 03:34 AM
No No bought it end of March and picked it up April on my return from offshore

Sweeney
19th May 2006, 03:36 AM
didn't realise it was as new a car as that, so its only a few months old then eh

when did you get the works kit and coded arches etc?

X30YES
19th May 2006, 03:37 AM
Yes 2000 miles, body kit was new when I bought it and painted (deal);)' JCW stuff after 1000 miles

Sweeney
19th May 2006, 03:41 AM
you and yer fe***ng deals, you must know something about them! or at least get a discount if you show them your oap benefits book ;) anyways better shh thread seems to have gone off at a tangent because of us....

never driven an auto, although judging by the pace on the mi3 run it wasn't exactly a sloth (andy+lenore)

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 04:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

never driven an auto, although judging by the pace on the mi3 run it wasn't exactly a sloth (andy+lenore)

And to be honest we were taking it easy for the majority of the run because of the weather and a couple of the runners preferred a more sedate run.;)

Sweeney
19th May 2006, 04:02 AM
i know you were, it was greasy or at least a bit too much for my tyres, as pulling out of the junctions and hammering it would only result in high revs and me going no where :p was brilliant though driving through those roads, apart from the odd car we met coming towards us

X30YES
19th May 2006, 04:03 AM
Hey ,it was a Sunday after all ...and my JCW kit was new :(;)

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 04:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Hey ,it was a Sunday after all ...and my JCW kit was new :(;)

Wasn't talking about you Angus.;);)

X30YES
19th May 2006, 04:08 AM
I know that ;).what up the Movie crap then :D:D:D

alanm73
19th May 2006, 06:00 AM
God what have i started here!!!!

I would agree its not slow, but it aint anywhere near as quick as a manual in my opinion and just not as much fun even if you change gear manually which then defeats the point of an auto.

But then again after having a crappy A3 TDI DSG auto for 8 months im biased as im enjoying the joys of gear changing again.

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 09:55 AM
....... just not as much fun even if you change gear manually which then defeats the point of an auto.

Remember that auto's are not produced purely to satisfy the curiosity of all the drivers who can drive manuals. Auto's satisfy a massive worldwide market for those who are unable(for whatever reason) to drive a manual.

But then again after having a crappy A3 TDI DSG auto for 8 months im biased as im enjoying the joys of gear changing again.

I'm guessing your simply not a fan of this gear box.:( 'Cos it's the same 'box in the Audi and the Cooper S.

Lenore and I sure don't want to start a flame war, thats really not our intention, but when you express such strong opinions, I hope your not upset by us disagreeing with them:question::eek::blackeye::D;);)

Just out of interest, in a recent track test a Cooper S auto actually beat a manual. And it is an absolute fact the auto changes gear faster than any human can possible change gear in a manual.;)

Smitty
19th May 2006, 05:50 PM
Never driven an automatic BUT

<takes cover before sayin this....>

Would it not just take the fun out of the driving experince?

Yes, you still have the amazing handling, superb performance etc.

But where is the joy of suddenly dropping down a few gears, whipping round a corner and workin your way back up them again, workin between steering wheel, gear lever and clutch!!!:p;)

<o no, i'm going to regret that!;)>

Just my opinion though! And one thing that would be good.....fantastic for motorway drving and traffic jams!:p:D

The Dogfather
19th May 2006, 06:10 PM
I've got both an auto and a manual car, the auto is a 4 speed the manual has 6.

I don't have a preference the auto box suits the omega, although I do miss the ability to manually shift cogs when I'm pushing it through bends. The sports mode helps but you have to be careful not to go past the change down point or things get a bit screamy. Obviously the auto box blunts the performance and damages the fuel consumption but its a godsend in traffic and on the long journeys south.

But, I thought the S box and DSG box allowed you to switch the cogs yourself if you wanted to, surely thats the best of both worlds?

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 06:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

But, I thought the S box and DSG box allowed you to switch the cogs yourself if you wanted to, surely thats the best of both worlds?

It does.:approve: And oh boy, it is.:approve::approve:

I can manually shift down, just on corner approach, floor the pedal on the way out the corner, bring the gears back up whenever I want. And best of all, I can make these changes quicker than any manual driver in an S.:p:p:p:approve:

Smitty, as you say, you haven't driven an auto. You don't need to take cover - honest;). But it sure as hell doesn't take the fun out of driving for us. In fact, for both Lenore and I, if we couldn't have the Auto box in the S, we couldn't have the S. Simple as that.:D:D

alanm73
20th May 2006, 12:40 AM
On this one have to agree that after being stuck in road works on the M8 earlier the auto is nice for that.

It's just everybodys likes and dislikes and my opinion at the end of the day so i hope it didnt annoy anyone.

Your right on one thing i bought an auto out of curiosity and hated it but my girl friend loved it thought it was so much better than a manual.

Smitty
20th May 2006, 07:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
Smitty, as you say, you haven't driven an auto. You don't need to take cover - honest;). But it sure as hell doesn't take the fun out of driving for us. In fact, for both Lenore and I, if we couldn't have the Auto box in the S, we couldn't have the S. Simple as that.:D:D

Well aslong as you enjoy it thats the main thing!:D Everyone has different driving styles, and enjoy different things!

Myself, i'll stick to a good old stick shift for now!;)

But must say, from your description of being able to drop down and move up gears yourself....that DSG box dosent sound to shabby!!:p