AndyP & Lenore
17th May 2006, 08:29 AM
So, who's going to see it?

sh@z
17th May 2006, 10:10 AM
Me, for sure!

X30YES
17th May 2006, 02:57 PM
Will see it offshore no doubt next week :eek:;)

Big Col
17th May 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm going to wait for someone to tell me if it's any good. :)

GAJ
17th May 2006, 04:23 PM
I'm going to wait till someone straps me into a chair and props my eyelids open with matchsticks.:sleepy:

Scottie
17th May 2006, 04:49 PM
I'm going to wait until it comes out on DVD:)

AeroJonny
17th May 2006, 05:48 PM
once these flippin exams are done, I'm gonna camp in the cinema, that's after I've camped in a pub! :D

Burple
17th May 2006, 06:01 PM
Probably, I'm reading one of his other books just now, and it's alright... :)

..and I really fancied seeing it, till I found out Tom Hanks was a main character...

The Dogfather
17th May 2006, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

once these flippin exams are done, I'm gonna camp in the cinema, that's after I've camped in a pub! :D

Beer tent?

euan
17th May 2006, 08:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

There is a pub in Edinburgh that has a screen in the back - can't remember it's name but it's next door to Kushi's indian off south bridge. Problem solved, films and beer (with curry later!)

euan
17th May 2006, 08:46 PM
Oh, and as far as the Da vinci Code is concerned, I wasn't going to but I think I will.

Coop
17th May 2006, 09:39 PM
I'll be going

jayex
17th May 2006, 10:46 PM
Me Me... :D enjoyed the book- so looking forward to seeing if the film lives up to it 8)

zimbo
18th May 2006, 04:42 AM
Mmmmm reports are not favourable I,m afraid from what I've heard.

duncan
18th May 2006, 04:48 AM
Never read the book, not really interested.
I'll wait till its on the TV.

Wonder if it'll be the BBC Christmas Day blockbuster in a few years time? :eek:;)

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 07:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by zimbo

So far the reviews are not blistering. To be honest, I never trust the reviewers. I prefer to go see a film and decide for myself. And bad reviews won't make a jot of a difference at the box office for this film. Even the book didn't review terribly well when it was first released.:)

The Dogfather
18th May 2006, 08:02 AM
Wait for it to come out on DVD then I can watch it in my own cinema :D

Big Col
18th May 2006, 03:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
To be honest, I never trust the reviewers. I prefer to go see a film and decide for myself..:)

Can't imagine what possible motivation a cinema owner would have for saying this...;):)

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 05:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

To be honest, I never trust the reviewers. I prefer to go see a film and decide for myself..:)

Can't imagine what possible motivation a cinema owner would have for saying this...;):)

:D

But it's true either way Col. And speaking as a customer of other cinema's, rather than an owner, if I fancy seing a film, I'll go see it, make my own mind up whether it's any good or not.:D

GAJ
18th May 2006, 05:36 PM
Even the book didn't review terribly well when it was first released.:)

Mmm? I wonder what the reason for that was?;)

Burple
18th May 2006, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by zimbo

That's only cos it's not full of scantliy clad bimbos, car chases and explosions! :p:p

Gismo
18th May 2006, 05:56 PM
I thought the book was excellent and am looking forward to the film when i get a chance to see it :p
Why the fuss in the press about Tom Hanks hair for chrissake :evil:

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I thought the book was excellent and am looking forward to the film when i get a chance to see it :p
Why the fuss in the press about Tom Hanks hair for chrissake :evil:

Just because they can. http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif

I thought the book was a good, well written thriller, but still not sure why it stayed at the top of the best-seller list for 3 gazillion years.http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif;)

Burple
18th May 2006, 07:39 PM
The film's getting slated in the US, especially by those such as the Catholic church and all associated outrage-mongers.
Have people lost sight of the fact that it's a work of FICTION? :D
I'm currently reading another of DanBrown's books, 'Angels and Demons', and yes, it's OBVIOUSLY fiction too (his character dialogue is a bit.. well, crappy sometimes)- sort of like Tom Clancy in a church setting :D

(personally I can think of a much more offensive and much bigger work of fiction, but maybe that's just me ;):D)

Big Col
18th May 2006, 09:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Have people lost sight of the fact that it's a work of FICTION? :D

Ah yes but "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate" Methinks this is what's pi$$ing them off. :)

Scottie
18th May 2006, 09:26 PM
Now I would rather watch Indiana Jones in his quest to find the Holy Grail anyday.:D

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 09:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
Now I would rather watch Indiana Jones in his quest to find the Holy Grail anyday.:D

:D:approve:;)

Dum de dum duuuuum, dum de duuum...... You call him DR JONES, Doll!;)

Scottie
18th May 2006, 09:35 PM

are you sure that's how it goes;):D:D have you not missed a de

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2006, 09:38 PM

are you sure that's how it goes;):D:D have you not missed a de

Ah, maebbe...

Dum de de dum duuum, dum de duuuuuum............ de daaa da, de daaaa da, de daaa dum de dumdedum....;):D

SarahMunro
19th May 2006, 12:18 AM
Think Ian and I will be paying you a visit Andy and Lenore. :)

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 12:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by SarahMunro

Think Ian and I will be paying you a visit Andy and Lenore. :)

Two ways of reading this....

Is it to thump us stupid with a baseball bat?

Or are you thinking of coming to see Da Vinci Code?

If it's the latter, Lenore says: "Ask her to bring her convertible.":D:D

Andrew says: "Suggest you book. Tickets are flying out the door, depsite the ever so slightly negative reviews.":D:D "But don't let that put you off coming.

We're off on Friday but in all day Sat & Sun.:D

SarahMunro
19th May 2006, 12:36 AM
It is the last one. Tell Lenore I will if I get it back from Eastern. Problem with the steering rack and they don't even know what it is. :( Hence the delay in pictures but will put some on soon.

Think we will have to wait a couple of weeks anyway as our Gala events are happening next week and we are very busy!

Burple
19th May 2006, 12:45 AM
quote:

Andrew says: "Suggest you book. Tickets are flying out the door, depsite the ever so slightly negative reviews.":D:D "But don't let that put you off coming.

That sounds about right.. good marketing ploy by the film company methinks... get some religious nutjobs to slate it, then EVERYBODY will want to see it! :D:D

It worked with 'The Passion' didn't it? :D:D:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 12:46 AM
OK.

Sorry to hear your having trouble with your car. Is it a clunking sound? If so, I believe it's a common problem and I would have thought Eastern should really know exactly what needs done.

SarahMunro
19th May 2006, 12:47 AM
It clicks every time you turn the wheel. Will find out tomorrow and let you know. Hopefully nothing serious but if it is then warranty will cover it.

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 12:59 AM

It clicks every time you turn the wheel. Will find out tomorrow and let you know. Hopefully nothing serious but if it is then warranty will cover it.

Ooooo:(. This is starting to sound very familiar. We have a slight click occasionally when we turn the wheel a small turn. Very annoying and Dunedin couldn't find anything - after about 5 attempts. Still happens - occasionally. But I don't think it is the fault that minime has mentioned a few times, which is a common fault of a loud clicking/clunking from the steering column which requires replacing.:eek:

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 02:52 AM
Hey, does anyobody think this roof graphic (http://www.cooperflags.com/ProductDetail.cfm?id=95&Option=412) would be a good marketing idea.:question:

On Neil's Mini, of course.:D Wouldn't put it on mine.;)

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 06:47 PM
Watched it last night.

The reviewers have been a tad harsh. It follows the story of the book flawlessly. And the end of the day, it's a dam good yarn. Perhaps a tad very fantastical, but the 2-1/2 hours slipped by. There's enough going on to keep you occupied without any problems.

I would have to agree that Hanks is crap, he was perfectly cast in the role, then he proceeded to completely f*** it up grand style. Tatau was ok, but not startling, but Ian McKellen as Teabing and Paul Bettany as Silas were excellent. Bettany in particular was very good.

Lenore watched it too and she hasn't read the book, and I hadn't really discussed the book with her after I read it. But she had the thrust of the end of the book figured out before it hit the screen. So those of you who havent read the book (is there anyone?) I'd still reccomend the film. Its a good yarn:D:D:D

Scottie
19th May 2006, 06:54 PM

Watched it last night.

The reviewers have been a tad harsh. It follows the story of the book flawlessly. And the end of the day, it's a dam good yarn. Perhaps a tad very fantastical, but the 2-1/2 hours slipped by. There's enough going on to keep you occupied without any problems.

I would have to agree that Hanks is crap, he was perfectly cast in the role, then he proceeded to completely f*** it up grand style. Tatau was ok, but not startling, but Ian McKellen as Teabing and Paul Bettany as Silas were excellent. Bettany in particular was very good.

Lenore watched it too and she hasn't read the book, and I hadn't really discussed the book with her after I read it. But she had the thrust of the end of the book figured out before it hit the screen. So those of you who havent read the book (is there anyone?) I'd still reccomend the film. Its a good yarn:D:D:D

I have not read the book.:D sorry but to busy to find time to read books I work all the time.;):)

AndyP & Lenore
19th May 2006, 06:57 PM

sorry but to busy to find time to read books I work all the time.;):)

http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gifhttp://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gifhttp://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gifhttp://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gif

Burple
19th May 2006, 06:59 PM
quote: So those of you who havent read the book (is there anyone?)

Yes! :I:I:D
(Dad's still got it, I'm meant to be getting a shot of it soon!) lol :D:D

Scottie
19th May 2006, 07:03 PM

sorry but to busy to find time to read books I work all the time.;):)

http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gifhttp://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gifhttp://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gifhttp://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/bustingup.gif

Crombers
21st May 2006, 12:29 AM

Ooooo:(. This is starting to sound very familiar. We have a slight click occasionally when we turn the wheel a small turn. Very annoying and Dunedin couldn't find anything - after about 5 attempts. Still happens - occasionally. But I don't think it is the fault that minime has mentioned a few times, which is a common fault of a loud clicking/clunking from the steering column which requires replacing.:eek:

Steering rack ?

sh@z
21st May 2006, 01:13 AM
Just watched it yesterday, good film, not FANTASTIC tho, but well worth a watch.

AndyP & Lenore
21st May 2006, 08:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Steering rack ?

I suspect so Alan (for our own car) but convincing dunedin Selkirk is prving difficult. To be perfectly honest though until a week ago, the noise hadn't been present for a couple of months. But for some reason, after Sara mentioned her problems, our has been coming out in sympathy.:(

AndyP & Lenore
21st May 2006, 08:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Just watched it yesterday, good film, not FANTASTIC tho, but well worth a watch.

But better than the reviewers are saying....:question:

Sheilz
21st May 2006, 04:50 PM
I watched it last night. Thought it was very good. I'm very fussy about what I would go to the cinema to watch coz I think the majority of films are utter rubbish. I have read both books about the de Vinci code. The film is true to the novel. I had a fifteen year old girl with me who hasnt read the book and she also enjoyed it.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd May 2006, 08:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

I watched it last night. Thought it was very good. I'm very fussy about what I would go to the cinema to watch coz I think the majority of films are utter rubbish. I have read both books about the de Vinci code. The film is true to the novel. I had a fifteen year old girl with me who hasnt read the book and she also enjoyed it.

.... Is pretty much the same as all our customers over the weekend. Almost everyone I spoke to (we're an independant cinema, we speak to our customers) really enjoyed the film. And those who hadn't read the book managed to follow the story and enjoyed the film too.

And it seems to be a worldwide thing too. Looks like everyone has ignored the critics. $77M in the US. Over $220M worldwide.

Records appear to be left in tact, but this is the wrong audience for record breaking. Records are broken when 100million teenagers absolutley MUST see the film THIS weekend or they'll look stupid in front of their piers. Da Vinci Code core audience is much more meture, who tend to spread themselves out somewhat. Which is good news for us cinema-operators, as it looks like the film will have legs.:approve::D;)

Sheilz
23rd May 2006, 04:33 AM
Excellent. Cant be much fun competing with the likes of UGC etc. When I worked at the school as hard as I tried to avoid it I ended up having to endure sitting through the most appalling rubbish. My solution was to ring-fence this time for catching up on my zzzzzzs, so that the kids could go to the film they 'just had to see'. Having to sit through rubbish is my idea of hell. The first time my mother took me to the cinema she vowed never to take me back because I was just a damned pest! Six years later aged ten I mutinied about having to go and watch The Sound of Music under supervision of my older sisters and could only be persuaded to go in with a book and a torch in my pocket! Needless to say I didnt get to use the torch for very long! Luckily I astonished myself by quite enjoying it. TV and cinema is too passive for me.
Have to say on Saturday I still managed to sneak in my own munchies. That was normal practice at the school. I frequently went looking like a heavily pregnant camel! The price of stuff at the UGC is extortionate.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd May 2006, 06:39 AM
Shielz,

You should try the Belmont Cinema in Aberdeen. It's an independant cinema operated by a company called "Picturehouse - Cityscreen".

I would like to think they have a better range of more reasonably priced sweets/drinks.:D

Big Col
23rd May 2006, 03:15 PM
More to the point they serve beer!!!! :D