PDA

View Full Version : Rattle from the back...

Bazthemod
17th November 2003, 11:36 PM
Have any of you experianced a rattle comming from the boot? we did and took it to the dealer, seemingly theres a fault with the strings which hold the parcel shelf up one is longer than the other seemingly and loads od MINI's are are the same so check yours out!:approve:

KenL
18th November 2003, 12:50 AM
Take out your parcel shelf to see if the rattle goes away. There are LOADS of threads on mini2 about knocks/rattles from the rear.

Gismo
18th November 2003, 12:55 AM
I'd be amazed if the rattle is not coming from the boot catch somewhere, i've had two new ones and the rattle returns usually after a couple of days.
Endless adjustment of the rubber stops never cures it either :(

Bonnie Scotland

GAJ
18th November 2003, 02:48 AM
Yup! It will be the boot catch! Been there and had it fixed.

Twice!

minidriver#1
18th November 2003, 03:28 AM
i found a rattle in the back, it was the back passenger seat belt buckle rattling off the plastic side under the window.

Julz
18th November 2003, 05:07 PM
Oh don't get me started on this one, I get very grumpy driving my mini these days as every square inch of the interior either squeaks or rattles, not what you'd expect for a £19k car!! I'm told that the rattles come from my bodykit, so my car must be amazing at reading into the future cause it rattled as bad before the bodykit, grrrrrrrrr:mad::mad:

GAJ
18th November 2003, 05:41 PM
Julz, I thought you got that exhaust so you wouldn't hear the rattles!:clown:

Julz
18th November 2003, 05:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Julz, I thought you got that exhaust so you wouldn't hear the rattles!:clown:

I did, but the rattles sussed this out and got louder too!! (exhaust is going to have to get toned down, I get a constant ringing in my head, oh the bells, the bells:p):D

Duncan Stewart
18th November 2003, 06:00 PM
I keep a plastic box full of junk in the back so it rattles enough to cover any other squeaks, rattles, etc :approve:
what a picky lot you are ;) , every car I have ever had rattles somewhere - turn the stereo up

Wul
18th November 2003, 10:33 PM
Three main sources of rear rattles:

1. Boot latch - sorted by either new latch or insulating tape round the D latch.
2. Rear seat latches - sorted with insulating tape on latch.
3. Seat belts rattling on plastic trim - sorted by adjusting rest position of seat belt

Gismo
20th November 2003, 01:41 AM
Finally gave in and used the insulating tape around the D latch, rattled cured, not exactly happy :eek: but no rattle

Bonnie Scotland

3GGG
13th July 2004, 04:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Finally gave in and used the insulating tape around the D latch, rattled cured, not exactly happy :eek: but no rattle

Bonnie Scotland

Mine has starting rattling now at 10k miles, thought I was immune to this one:mad:

I've booked it in to get it 'sorted' they said an adjustment should fix it - I thought there was a new style latch out?

Also getting the rear number plate replaced at the same time as it is stained - black marks moving down from the top edge beneath the surface - seen a lot of cars with that problem - is it the stuff we use to wash the car that causes that?

No pickup and delivery of my MINI this time, so I'll just have to drink the coffee and wait as I don't want a BMW courtesy car which costs me insurance surcharge for the day.

Picked up a new MINI brochure today - spotted what I think might be a typo - it says the Cooper has the battery in the boot - (like the S) - think that is unlikely.

Duncan Stewart
13th July 2004, 04:32 PM
Same thing is happending to my rear numberplate. Are they doing it under warranty? I was thinking of buying some nice 3D ones with the Mini logo but if I can get it done for free I won't bother.
And why no pickup? I hope Morrisons are still doing this

Monsta Mo Mini
13th July 2004, 04:42 PM
If Morissons did do pickups I'd seriously consider moving to them! I can't face another visit to the Dunedin service department - creaky seat AGAIN!!!!! I'm going to live with it for now!

Having just taken delivery of another new car, which to date hasn't had a single fault, of any description, no creaks, rattles, nothing! Icost half the price of a MINI and it's really brought home how badly put together the earlier ones were!

Heather
13th July 2004, 04:47 PM
Had the boot rattle too and fairbairns replaced it with a new latch. Just have to deal with the squeaking dashboard now!

3GGG
13th July 2004, 06:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Same thing is happending to my rear numberplate. Are they doing it under warranty? I was thinking of buying some nice 3D ones with the Mini logo but if I can get it done for free I won't bother.
And why no pickup? I hope Morrisons are still doing this

Yes they are replacing it for free ( It should be covered by the warranty).

When I asked about pickup I was told they couldn't do it because of staff shortages with holidays - I called their bluff and said 'well can you give me an alternative date when you will have staff available as this is not urgent?' - they hummed and hawed and eventually convinced me that they would be able to do it while I waited - funnily enough same story last time when it went in for the first service - so whether they have changed their policy or not I can't say.

3GGG
13th July 2004, 06:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

If Morissons did do pickups I'd seriously consider moving to them! I can't face another visit to the Dunedin service department - creaky seat AGAIN!!!!! I'm going to live with it for now!

Having just taken delivery of another new car, which to date hasn't had a single fault, of any description, no creaks, rattles, nothing! Icost half the price of a MINI and it's really brought home how badly put together the earlier ones were!

Well as I mentioned above, they used to do pickups, but this time and last they have kind of forced me to bring it in and wait. I must remember and say that I don't want it washed this time as it takes longer than the service.

3GGG
13th July 2004, 07:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini

Had the boot rattle too and fairbairns replaced it with a new latch. Just have to deal with the squeaking dashboard now!

I was reading all about the new latch and the loop on M2 and it will be interesting to see what they try with mine.

3GGG
13th July 2004, 07:15 PM

Having just taken delivery of another new car, which to date hasn't had a single fault, of any description, no creaks, rattles, nothing! It cost half the price of a MINI and it's really brought home how badly put together the earlier ones were!

Yes, really frustrating isn't it? - what make/model is it that you got?

I haven't had a shot in any of the new MINIs to see how much better they are than the very early builds. I hear that the ride is a lot better in the newer cars due to a change in the dampers, that wouldn't be a bad thing as the very firm suspension and runflat tyres make the rattles even worse IMO.

I was looking at the new range trying to decide if we might change our other car sometime for a MINI as well, but am rather disappointed to find that they don't do a decent blue for the Cooper anymore - don't fancy electric blue, they are enough of them already ;)
Don't like the 3 spoke wheel either.

The 'visibility' pack - anyone know what that comprises? - does it have a heated front screen? I'm not really wanting rain sensing wipers, but the auto dimming mirror would be nice.

Willie M
14th July 2004, 03:30 PM

If Morissons did do pickups I'd seriously consider moving to them! I can't face another visit to the Dunedin service department - creaky seat AGAIN!!!!!
One word. DIET ;);):D

3GGG
15th July 2004, 09:34 PM
Well, took my car into the dealer today and they have fixed the rattle:)

The bad news is that all they did was put some insulating tape over the catch:mad:

However, they also replaced the rear number plate which had stained and did the brake fluid change which was due tomorrow- though I had to get the mechanic to come and reset the indicator on the speedo which he had forgotten to do.

Didn't get them to wash the car which saved a bit of time, only 2 hours sitting having coffee and reading 2 papers and 2 magazines:mad:

Hats off to the parts dept who gave me the small plastic plug I needed for holding on the s Skirt free gratis. ( I genuinely didn't have any change).:approve:

Of course I forgot about a couple of things - the speedo needle rattle on start up and the air filter foam breakup - next time...