PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear

sh@z
17th November 2003, 06:13 AM
Anyone see todays top gear?

Hartge, Works and Digi-tec in it ... where was the BBR 220/240 :(...

Works 'won' cos of peace of mind and overall feel or something.. tho he said that all of them were superb... i'd take any of em like :D

Then came the BBR275... looked superb, and he was pretty scared i thought :p lol...

anyhow finally mini's got some coverage on top gear ... apart from being one of only 4 cars in sub-zero :D

zimbo
17th November 2003, 06:18 AM
BBR275 :p:p:D
<drools everywhere.....>

Linda M
17th November 2003, 06:22 AM
Got all excited when MINI's were mentioned :cool: Loved it :D:D:D

macblob
17th November 2003, 06:43 AM
mmmm 275 bhp, ur car is looking a wee tad under powered is it not Alan :D

<ducks and waits for the back lash>

Gismo
17th November 2003, 06:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

mmmm 275 bhp, ur car is looking a wee tad under powered is it not Alan :D
<ducks and waits for the back lash>
:blackeye::blackeye::evil:

Bonnie Scotland

weefossy
17th November 2003, 08:16 AM
Great to see MINI feature on Top Gear.:D
Sounds like Hartge,Digitec and BBR haven't greased enough BMW palms.:evil:
Who needs 275bhp anyway. Its not what you have, it's how you use it..... he says in a pathetic, jealous, green with envy,why can't I afford it,it's not fair,I'm going to bed in the huff sort of way:(:(

Willie M
17th November 2003, 04:55 PM
Certainly was great to see the MINIs featured on Top Gear after the let down at the end of the last series (feature dropped for new Bentley).

The BBR275 'hooligan' looked just awesome (275bhp in a MINI... jeepers :eek:)

Julz
17th November 2003, 05:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Anyone see todays top gear?

Hartge, Works and Digi-tec in it ... where was the BBR 220/240 :(...

The 275 mini is David Brodies own mini, which was at 240 when i drove it, but being 'upped' to 275 when I went back to collect Fatty!! So the 275 is also the 220 and the 240, just a wee bit faster!!;):D

knaone
17th November 2003, 05:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

The 275 mini is David Brodies own mini

I wonder how he felt when the presenter (cant remember his name) "parked it" at the end.... :p:eek:

KenL
17th November 2003, 05:46 PM
I was VERY disappointed :disapprove:

What is it with Top Gear? They never really say anything of interest about the cars. All that happens is you see some twit (usually Clarkson) on the track smoking tyres and looking like they haven't a clue how to drive properly.

Clarkson should stick to chat shows and they should get Tiff back on Top Gear :) Vicki B-H would be a worthwhile addition to the show as well instead of that big snobby git they've got on there now :p

Duncan Stewart
17th November 2003, 05:55 PM
Great show last night with Lambos and Minis :D:cool: (yes, I had that poster on my wall! :I) . I hope no proud corsa owers were watching tho! ;)

Big Col
17th November 2003, 08:23 PM
Awwww I missed it. Do they repeat Top Gear?

Big Gordy
17th November 2003, 08:58 PM
Bu**er :mad: I missed it too. Caught the last 20 seconds with the two Lambo's in the studio then the credits showing the silver 'S' and thought 'I wonder if that was on the show, I hope not:mad:' and low and behold it was. Bummmmer :dead:

super ally
17th November 2003, 09:02 PM
Great car for the Kingston Bridge!!

Tahra
17th November 2003, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

What is it with Top Gear? They never really say anything of interest about the cars. All that happens is you see some twit (usually Clarkson) on the track smoking tyres and looking like they haven't a clue how to drive properly.

Clarkson should stick to chat shows and they should get Tiff back on Top Gear :) Vicki B-H would be a worthwhile addition to the show as well instead of that big snobby git they've got on there now :p

No, no Tiff is crap !!!

PS I think it is repeated on one of the cable/freeview channels cos someone at work often catches it through the week

euan
17th November 2003, 10:13 PM
I think it will be repeated on UK Horizons on Wednesdays at 10, starting this week with the 1st episode - so a few weeeks to wait.

Mini Martyn
17th November 2003, 10:28 PM
Its was well good. Wish they had raced them around the track with The Stigg to see who kit was quickest!! or Even better pitched them agenst one of the Lambo's for a laugh!! :D

Did Willie M get the benefit of your excitment Linda??!! :I

KenL
17th November 2003, 10:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tahra

quote:Originally posted by KenL

No, no Tiff is crap !!!

Crap at what? He's a great driver and gives straight forward info about the car. Not like Clarkson - he's just a knob :evil::p:D

Fontal
17th November 2003, 11:27 PM
I think the new format for top gear is fantastic, its a programe for car nuts by car nuts, no racing drivers (exept for the stig)and no models just blokes having a toung in cheek look at cars and having a gaff while doing it.
There are other car shows that are more like the old stye like 5th gear, driven and so on which are also good just not funny.
So for me its a big thumbs up for the new format. :D

Tahra
17th November 2003, 11:32 PM
Not discussing their driving, obviously Tiff has proved himself, but he's just as opinionated....Clarkson occaisionally makes you laugh if only at him ( when his own car was "borrowed", or the S2000 lost) whereas as Tiff is "I remember when - dashing down to Monte Carlo after such and such race etc....." But none of them compare to the pocket size Richard, even if he cant park a MINI !!:D

duncan
18th November 2003, 01:55 AM
I enjoyed TG for the first time in a while.
Got to love the Dodgy modified motors section!

That Clio's exhaust was hilarious!

Gismo
18th November 2003, 02:30 AM
I was utterly disgusted with the poor showing of the Mini's on top gear, so much so i have cancelled my subscription to the magazine.
They were more content at showing a bl@@dy great big landrover doing a lap around the track and 3 very unafordable (to most, if not all) Lambo's on display.
Another of the sub zero cars gets mentioned every week, namely the porsche 911 and any of it's derivitives, why then when an affordable car comes along do they hardly ever mention it.
Absolute waste of time, i've been a fanatical watcher of TG for years and yet cannot believe how small minded they were on presenting the car like it couldn't be driven properly.
To compare the cost of the JCW against a bag of sweets was childish to say the least.
The MINI is in the sub zero portion of the cool board and yet this is the second attempt at showing it off and gave it about 3 mins air time.

To throw in that the BBR was indeed quicker by 5 secs means nothing if they couldn't even be bothered to show the Stig doing a lap or advising on the comparable times for a lap.

Based on anything any of them said, would it make you go and buy a MINI??

Very hacked off Bonnie Scotland :disapprove:

sh@z
18th November 2003, 03:03 AM
Yeah i agree with you Alan...

I might just email them to see what sort of times the cars put in on the test lap, as if the BBR was 5-6 secs quicker, then obviously they have the times there somewhere. But yeah, with Mini's bein in sub-zero and their popularity, i'd have hoped (and i bet the tuners also) for a lot more airtime, i mean the BBR275 "test" did no justice to it at all, swerving about a airstrip in front of the camera by a guy who doesnt know how to drive it jus jus a pain.. thats all i was thinkin watchin it ... "wat the heck is that guy tryin to achieve" .. and his parking manouvere jus topped it. I mean they have a "stig" ... hand him the keys and let his driving to the talking :(.

Yeah Julz i bet his was a 240 at some stage ;)... but woulda been nice to see a few more tuners in the lineup to make things more interesting and a fuller test done...

The Lambo Gallardo is god damn hot tho... i totally disagreed with JC with what he said about it "losing its x-factor" heh...

my 2 pennies ;)

sh@z

Monsta Mo Mini
18th November 2003, 04:43 AM
I can only agree with Shaz and Alan on this one - didn't really tell us anything apart fom the fact that Richard Hammond hasn't a clue how to handle a car properly. Very disappointing!

DNV122
18th November 2003, 05:05 AM
TG swings between good and bad, but last night was 'blokes in a pub having a quick drink' format - absolutely useless for deciding whether to pick a car or not.

never mind - will have to go an choose for myself.....

macblob
18th November 2003, 05:14 AM
Agrees with the dismal amount of coverage the MINIs got, They should have a whole show just on those cars dammm it with someone that can actually drive!!!!

Linda M
18th November 2003, 06:39 AM
To be honest, I don't really take the show 'that' seriously because as usual it comes down to individual opinions and every week it's theirs. I thought the coverage wasn't that bad. It was better than their silly 'groups' taking a reasonably priced car round the track, now that is crap viewing and a waste of about 10mins of the show. I take the show with a pinch of salt.

Duncan Stewart
18th November 2003, 05:44 PM
Top gear is a good laugh as long as you don't take it seriously (as Linda says). They are generally only interested in mega bucks cars / jeeps with a few very cheap ones thrown in. Everyday cars are ignored. However I am also disappointed at the amount of coverage of the mini.

Big Col
18th November 2003, 09:10 PM
Whilst I agree that Top Gear has very little coverage of affordable cars, I think that's the way it should be. Whilst I'd like to see MINIs getting thrown about more, I don't really care about the new Micra or Megane. If I want to know what one of those cars are like I'll go and test drive one. I'd far rather see an Aston Martin geting flung about than watch the "reasonably priced car" feature that Linda mentioned. I think TG is getting closer to adopting the approach of Evo magazine which is by reviewing cars that are good to drive. As I say, more time should be given to the MINI but I, and everyone else on here, be biased. If giving MINIs less time is the price we have to pay to avoid getting an entire episode dedicated to Fiat Multiplas then it's a price I'm willin' to pay.

Linda M
18th November 2003, 10:28 PM
Am I the only one who couldn't care less how much coverage the MINI gets :question:

I mean I've got my MINI because it's the car that 'I' wanted not because of 'anyone' elses opinion.

I think the problem now is the amount of conversions coming out, it's getting all rather to competitive.

Go out and enjoy your MINI, do what you want to your MINI and don't listen to other peoples opinions...it's your 'own' opinion that counts.

I try to admire everyones MINI's because it's 'their' pride and joy just like yours is to you :)

Big Gordy
18th November 2003, 11:02 PM
Ooooooooooooo Linda strikes back. Well said girl :D I don't want everybody and their granny to have a mini as then it would just be like a Corsa <god forbid:dead:> ie ten a penny. At present we are a unique bunch of individuals and long may it continue that way :p:D:approve:

Big Col
18th November 2003, 11:08 PM
Gordy...even if your wife didn't own a MINI you'd still be a unique individual.

Big Gordy
18th November 2003, 11:12 PM
<thinks> Was that a compliment or a slagging :question: Probably the latter knowing him :p:D:approve:

Linda M
19th November 2003, 12:26 AM
Anyway, talking of MINI coverage. I don't think you can get much better coverage than a blockbuster Hollywood MOVIE :D:cool::D

euan
19th November 2003, 12:48 AM
Well said linda - and there were 3 of the things....now, if only that had done one of the cars in EB/W, I'd have been REALLY happy.

TG annoyed me, but if they don't want to preach the joys of the thing, guess we will have to :)

Gismo
19th November 2003, 12:55 AM
There was actually 4 of the things ;) including the BBR monster, my gripe is mainly based on the fact TG have had two chances to show off a sub zero car and they have failed, in my book, to promote the best hot hatch available today :)

Bonnie Scotland

euan
19th November 2003, 07:20 PM
Bonnie, i was talking about the film ;)

But yes, TG have missed out. Thinking about it, the only "proper" road test I saw of a MINI was on Fifth Gear by that hairy bloke who was tearing about in an S in narrow country lanes.

knaone
19th November 2003, 08:20 PM
I remember that hairy bloke... that was a bit frightening to tell the truth...

Did they not at some point test it against the CTR the Cupra (i think) and many moons ago? cause it showed the S and the CTR cetrtainly when they were doing a piece on the Focus RS? didnt show a test of the mini and comparison....

Maybe they are afraid of ze germans :p

Fontal
19th November 2003, 08:31 PM
I was watching an old Driven last night with the MINI in the test 100 and not only did it beat the beetle and audi a2 but it got the highest score of the year :D
Oh and it was the one the were testing woohoo.

Julz
19th November 2003, 10:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal

I was watching an old Driven last night with the MINI in the test 100 and not only did it beat the beetle and audi a2 but it got the highest score of the year :D
Oh and it was the one the were testing woohoo.

I would have to say that Driven is my fav. motoring programme!! Especially when the presenters picked their fav cars of the year and two of them were part of my 3 car selection before I bought the mini, the Evo and the mini!! (my third was an Elise BTW!!):p:D

morrisminiminor
24th November 2003, 04:27 AM
Good for Linda. Clarkson et al WFC? Remember this is the guy who slated the Rover 25 except that the 25 wasn't in production at that stage.
Enjoy your MINI!

morrisminiminor

KenL
25th November 2003, 11:44 PM
Did anyone see 5th Gear last night? Now that was what I would call a good car show. Track shoot outs between Boxster and Z4. Also 350Z v Audi TT with DSG gearbox and the Mazda Rx-8. Cars all the way and no big twats talking rubbish :p

Compare that with the cr*p you get on Top Gear. The feature on putting an old Toyota pickup in the sea etc was waste of my licence fee :disapprove::(

Big Gordy
25th November 2003, 11:53 PM
I'm with you on this one Ken :D Last nights top gear was good.They didn't tell you that you have to fill the Mazda ****el with oil every 1000 miles though did they :eek: Is it just me or does anyone else think the bum of the Z4 looks like a 25 year old Marcos :D:approve::p

KenL
25th November 2003, 11:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

I'm with you on this one Ken :D Last nights top gear was good.They didn't tell you that you have to fill the Mazda ****el with oil every 1000 miles though did they :eek: Is it just me or does anyone else think the bum of the Z4 looks like a 25 year old Marcos :D:approve::p

I take it you meant 5th Gear Gordy. Are you on the same gear as Big Col :p;):D

I really like the Z4 - mibbe that's Willie M's next car :cool:

Big Gordy
26th November 2003, 12:02 AM
OK I meant 5th gear (its all the old top gear folk after all:I) I hope Willie dosn't get the Z4 its boggin awful looking (IMHO) Looks nice from the front and back but from the side its just far to deep looking :p:D:approve:

Big Col
26th November 2003, 01:33 AM
<Points at Gord'y post> Hey guys...look...that's amazing. A human being talking totally out of his bottom! :p:D

Willie M
26th November 2003, 01:37 AM
Have to agree with Ken L. This weeks Top Gear was pretty poor. A good 5 minutes or so was wasted on each of the following. Simon Cowell (git), the Toyota Landcruiser destruction piece, the 'Cool Wall' (starting to get tiresome) and the new 'Classic or Crock' board.

On the whole I've enjoyed the new format TG, good chill-out Sunday night fodder and I don't pay the slightest bit of notice to their opinions, likes and dislikes. Some of it's funny, some of it's guff. This weeks prog was however, on the whole, a hatful of pi*h :disapprove:

For me Driven and 5th Gear are much more informative. Used to love Deals on Wheels (sadly no more) and Wrong car, Right car was both a fun prog and a pointer in wheeling and dealing.

euan
26th November 2003, 09:28 PM
I'm beginning to feel glad as I was at the other halfs family for dinner and missed Top Gear this week. I'm with Willie, I like the format, fills a void on the Sunday that otherwise would be filled with Heartbeat or some other guff, and used to leave enough time between it and 24 when it was on. I like the longer format, but I love to drive cars, I want to know how they drive, not how many motorbikes you can leap in a bus. But still, without the new format we would never have had Grannies doing doughnuts....And I like the lap board, but it's not indicative of how a car would perform on a real road.

Big Col
27th November 2003, 01:08 AM
I've heard a nasty nasty rumour that Simon "I should be stabbed, shot, shredded then burnt" Cowell was the fasted driver in the crap car yet. I missed the show so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me it ain't so!

KenL
27th November 2003, 01:10 AM
It's true I'm afraid.

Willie M
27th November 2003, 01:22 AM
Yup, 'fraid so. Jodie Kidd's reported to be mad as hell :evil: Bet she could kick the bejesus out of Mr Cowell.... Hmmmmm... I'd pay good money to see that :approve:

Gismo
27th November 2003, 02:29 AM
I can just imagine what Jamiroquai is thinking as well, beaten by a girlie and a self pretencious so and so

Bonnie Scotland

Big Col
27th November 2003, 05:06 PM
Their guest better be Eddie Irvine next week! Can't have that whanger at the top of the leaderboard. Grrrrr.:mad::mad::mad:

Burple
27th November 2003, 07:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

I've heard a nasty nasty rumour that Simon "I should be stabbed, shot, shredded then burnt" Cowell was the fasted driver in the crap car yet. I missed the show so pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me it ain't so!

Hey but put it into perspective... look at the cars Jamiroquia normally drives...
then remember that Mr <w@nker> Simon <wa@nker> Cowell <w@nker> probably OWNS one of these pieces of shiat, so he's used to it... ;):D
...and he's surrounded constantly bay rattly whining things all day for Pap "I'm an attention whore - Look at me!!" Idol all the time...
;):D

which reminds me.. I have a great idea for a new reality TV show...
sorta like big brother, but I'll name it "Sad B@stards". everyone who wants to watch it buys a web cam... them the plug it into their PC. Then they can watch THEMSELVES eating breakfast, having a poo, whatever...watching themselves, watching themselves, watching themselves...dribbling inanely, comatosed in front of their PC or telly.
Surely that's got to be more entertaining???

;);):D:D:cool:

Big Gordy
27th November 2003, 07:22 PM
Just say what you mean low'n'load:pdon't hold back now, let it all out <steady now - I know what you lot are thinking - keep it clean> :p:D:approve:

Big Col
27th November 2003, 10:30 PM
oooh. On the subject of Big Brother:

a)What a load of crap

b)They could make it soooooo much more interesting. Like put in 4 kkk members and 4 black pride gang members. Or put them in there with no food so the winner is the one that makes it out alive by eating the others.

sh@z
28th November 2003, 01:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Yup, 'fraid so. Jodie Kidd's reported to be mad as hell :evil: Bet she could kick the bejesus out of Mr Cowell.... Hmmmmm... I'd pay good money to see that :approve:

to be honest, i bet mr cowell would pay good money for that aswell :p

Burple
28th November 2003, 02:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Just say what you mean low'n'load:pdon't hold back now, let it all out <steady now - I know what you lot are thinking - keep it clean> :p:D:approve:

heh... sorry...
<click...rant mode off> ;)

I think I may have issues with 'reality TV' shows..... :D:D
snigger snigger snigger...

I'm holding.. I'm holding!!!;);):I

Burple
28th November 2003, 02:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
oooh. On the subject of Big Brother:
a)What a load of crap

Actually I think I can refine that further..
a) what a load of %£"$^""&$*)'#!£"%%^*%($@#ing crap!!!

quote:
b)They could make it soooooo much more interesting. Like put in 4 kkk members and 4 black pride gang members. Or put them in there with no food so the winner is the one that makes it out alive by eating the others.

hmmm... yes young Obi Wan... your ideas show much promise...
Another version using Neds??
another with 5 'celebs' (those with desperately flagging careers preferably), 4 baseball bats and no food??
One with Keith Harris and Orville, the bloke with Nookie the Bear (with Nookie), Bernie Clifton and that silly-ass bird thing and the Krankies, again no food, but a plentiful supply of rather blunt cutting and hacking weapons and tazers??

<suppresses twitch in left eye>

I thinkI could make a fortune here if it wasn't against decent human morality to MAKE these shows...
Do I sound bitter and twisted??

Oh dear.... GOOD!!! ;):D:D:D:evil::evil::evil: