PDA

View Full Version : Calling All True Classic Owners.....

Gismo
13th May 2006, 05:56 PM
........give me you're honest opinions of this classic for sale on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUSTIN-MINI-SPECIAL-
BLUE_W0QQitemZ4639248774QQcategoryZ18262QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem) ;)

Crombers
13th May 2006, 06:14 PM
What a stunner , looks as fast as fcuk (love that gear changer assembly) & with you knowing a thing or two about motors this would be a belting purchase :approve:

Gismo
13th May 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm not keen on walnut dashes, how easy would it be to change it out for an alloy looking or even checker plate one to match the footwell design??
I'm keen to know what classic owners think of the car, ie, do the body mods make it look non classic etc etc

X30YES
13th May 2006, 07:50 PM
It looks well restored ,and in top condition great paint job as well,all round it looks very good ,however for me the boby kit is a wee bit ott ......but do like the free can of Red Bull in the engine bay :eek::D:D
The dash will come out , but a wee bit of work stripping all the gauges etc is to be expected( as you will know );)...www.minisport.com Part No PMY528 in alloy and will fit spot on !!!!

Smurf
13th May 2006, 07:53 PM
Looks nice, seems to be well finished by the pictures, but be careful that the work has been done properly, or in a few months time you'll have a rust bucket. Make sure the de-seamed bits are welded on both sides, and sealed, and that the shell has been strengthened to take account of the seams not being there any more. (It will flex otherwise, especially at the boot hinges). Dashboard (apparently) is easy enough to change, if you know how. Not convinced about the missing rain channel above the rear and front windows..... Lets water move about more easily!!

Personally, I'm not keen on the "zeemaxed" look, but if YOU like it, then that's what matters. Its still a stunning looking wee car.

Engine wise, it seems to have all the good bits, and looks tidily put together. I reckon it will be a hard ride, with no suspension travel, because it's so low, he's had to put the 'zorst through a tunnel, and raise the gear change box into the car...

All in all, we'd still go and look at it! :D:D

There seems to be 2 kinds of classic ownership - those who keep them original, or only a few mods - and those who modify. Both are respected in their own way, and there doesn't seem to be any division among the classic owners as to which is "best". Just like the new MINIs I guess. Some are modded, some aren't.

Hope this helps, BS!

Craig
13th May 2006, 08:08 PM
not allowed access to Ebay at work..:disapprove: however what I would say very much echo's Smurfs sentiments.

A mini is a very indiviual car (classic or new) and what you think is "classic" may not be what some else thinks.

Rust is your biggest worry, make sure you check all the usual places (take a screwdriver for poking about..:eek::D) If your unsure, take a classic owner with you and they will no doubt keep you right (as they will most probably have spent money on the common problems..;))

I may know of a car for sale in a few months....;)

whatever car you go for, remember you will have to spend money maintaining it... and probably a lot more than you first think, even if the car is in fantastic nick..:D:D

Gismo
13th May 2006, 11:02 PM
Cheers guys, have asked all the right questions, i hope :I reserve is £4k, is that reasonable????

Burple
14th May 2006, 12:27 AM
A wee flying machine! :eek:

Everything that Smurf says! :D:cool:

I was about to say I didn't like the 'Fortec' kit look till I saw the back!! :eek::D:D:D:cool: That looks like a very nice job. But others have said, have a good look underneath and in the rear door pocket area for any rusty bit, but it sounds like it should be solid. Maybe even take a wee mirror with you so you can see underneath round the rear subframe area.

The dash shouldn't be much bother to change.

The engine sounds like a right screamer :cool::D Just be aware that one with such a high spec (and huge size) that it'll possibly have to be kept 'in tune' a bit more than a bog standard Mini - and Weber carb have a known habit to be a weebit 'dribbly' with fuel, but it's not a problem. Just so you know where the possible smell of fuel comes from! :D

The clutch should be nice and heavy as well - not the best car in the world for cruising long distances, and it'll be a solid ride. :D

But I can guarantee you one thing, if I was looking for a new classic just now you'd have competition! :D:D:cool::cool:

Duncan Stewart
14th May 2006, 03:24 AM
Wow! stunning looking mini :cool: - love the blue with the black & silver wheels. Not sort of thing I would go for (not into big wheels & bodykits) but if you like it then go for it and enjoy :D Only thing I would add to the above is an engine of this spec will be pretty short lived but if your are not planning on doing 1000's of miles a year it then so what :p

john
16th May 2006, 12:42 AM
I don't like it:blackeye:

I don't like the body kit and if you have a 1963 mini then why o why would you do away with the sliding windows????

The rear window is too big the bood lid is Mk3 as is the grill etc etc.

It would appear that the only 1963 thing about the car is the rag plate;)

The Dogfather
16th May 2006, 12:48 AM
I'm with John on this, I don't like it OTT.

I prefer a classic classic. I would have thought investing in a unmolested '63 car would have been a better bet. Then you'd have the fun of tuning the engine yourself.

Wul
16th May 2006, 04:12 AM
I like the redbull ignition coil - maybe it can fly!! :D

Big Col
16th May 2006, 03:49 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the way it looks either. I think it looks like a neds been allowed loose on it BUT as others say, if you like it go for it mate. Cracking colour! For £4000 I'd have thought you'd be able to get a better example though?

Gismo
16th May 2006, 04:09 PM
Hmm, it's currently sitting at £3950 with 18 hours to go, i'd set my limit at the reserve of £4k so it's probably not gonna get another bid from me.
These kind of cars are always a personal choice :p

Big Col
16th May 2006, 04:13 PM
and they're the choice of a new generation! :D

Gismo
17th May 2006, 05:12 AM
Well, i had a good deal of discussion with the seller and i put my final bid of £4050 :eek: in for the car, but, it was beaten very quickly.
I know some don't like the car, but, I liked it :approve: it was different and i guess that's what it boils down to at the end of the day.
I just get the feeling there will be more bidding up to the finish at around 2am, so, we'll see what it went for when i get up in the morning.

So, the search continues..........8)

X30YES
17th May 2006, 05:15 AM
It was different ...that was the good thing about it A , however , at the end of the day put your bid in and leave it at that ,,unless you really really want it ...bets your up to check as well !!

Gismo
17th May 2006, 05:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES
It was different ...that was the good thing about it A , however , at the end of the day put your bid in and leave it at that ,,unless you really really want it ...bets your up to check as well
I've made my final bid as per my previous post and that's it :p and nope, i won't be up to see the finishing bidding frenzy :evil:;):D
Sets the alarm for 01:45 :I

GAJ
17th May 2006, 05:53 AM
I always use Auctionsniper (http://www.auctionsniper.com/default.aspx) for my eBay bids. It doesn't make any sense to bid early and give others the chance to trump you IMHO. It's still the highest bid that wins, so you have to bid the maximum amount that you are prepared to pay, but it saves having to make sure you are online at the auction end.

I have to say, not keen on that car. Buy a mini that looks like a mini!

X30YES
18th May 2006, 06:30 PM
How much did it go for ,any idea :question::p

Gismo
18th May 2006, 07:02 PM
It went for £4250 :) but that's without anyone else bidding

X30YES
18th May 2006, 07:45 PM
Not that far away from your bid then ...oh well what's for you and all that, no mails yet then offering you a second chance ??

The Dogfather
18th May 2006, 08:02 PM
Lucky escape BS ;)

Burple
18th May 2006, 08:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

It went for £4250 :) but that's without anyone else bidding

That's not a bad price for that amount of car! :)

Gismo
18th May 2006, 09:40 PM
I made my mind up that £4k was my limit, but, i did like the car :cool:

Craig
19th May 2006, 12:00 AM
you could have mine for £4K...;)

:eek::eek::eek:

broken_brian
19th May 2006, 12:55 AM
Not selling already are we?

As for the car not my cup of tea i would like the engine tho and keep it nice and basic looking maybe with black bumpers and weller steel wheels:evil:

I could sell you my one if you realy fancied a project to spend 4 k on though:p

Crombers
21st May 2006, 12:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

Eh!! ;)

N12 JLK
21st May 2006, 06:38 AM
Feel as though its lost and has no identity, to many mods done to it.

zimbo
21st May 2006, 07:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

:eek: Hawww you better make sure Dougal doesnt hear you young man!! :eek:

minimadtez
1st June 2006, 12:01 AM
NO WAY!!!! thats not a 'true classic'!!! someone has tortured it and turned it into.....well THAT!!!