PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin

Scottie
13th May 2006, 08:16 AM
After a Lot of "will -I will I not" decided to get a Bluefin for ma JCW Sound Kit Cooper which should take it up a wee bit to 130bhp.

Liked the simplicity of it easy to put back to standard etc etc.

but where is the port under steering wheel.???

Should I wait till I've reach a 1000 miles first.??? before I upload it.??

Gismo
13th May 2006, 05:39 PM
Oh dear, Fi, just wait a wee while :p I know the temptations are pulling you in :I but, get a few miles on the car first, this will ensure you're car is trouble free from any niggles like the yo yo etc
I would wait for a few thousand miles first, though, the blue fin is fully reversible etc and can't be detected.
Are you sure you're gonna get significantly more BHP over the sound kit conversion :question:

Scottie
13th May 2006, 05:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Oh dear, Fi, just wait a wee while :p I know the temptations are pulling you in :I but, get a few miles on the car first, this will ensure you're car is trouble free from any niggles like the yo yo etc
I would wait for a few thousand miles first, though, the blue fin is fully reversible etc and can't be detected.
Are you sure you're gonna get significantly more BHP over the sound kit conversion :question:

It takes it up to 130bhp which will only be a very small gain of 10bhp. Think the sound kit brings it up to about 118 -120bhp.

Gismo
13th May 2006, 06:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
It takes it up to 130bhp which will only be a very small gain of 10bhp. Think the sound kit brings it up to about 118 -120bhp
You'll never notice the increased BHP, so, unless it really increases the torque or puts the power band where you want it, I wouldn't install it ;)
As for the port, it is way down the steering column, nearer to the pedals, you Allan should see a wee plastic cover

Scottie
13th May 2006, 06:09 PM
h'mm been thinking that. Thought I would install it see if I noticed and difference if not then uninstall and give the bluefin to Ross for his standard cooper but the only thing with that is once you've used the bluefin on the car then it is tied to that car.

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2006, 07:30 PM
Have you/Ross thought about what will happen to his insurance as a young lad with a "modified car"? Could be nasty, even with onyl a 10bhp increase. :eek:

Sweeney
13th May 2006, 08:35 PM
im contemplating on getting this too, ive emailed lohen to find out what effect it has on jcw sound kit coopers but waiting on word back, it states on the website that is increases torque but i wanna know how much :P

edit: recieved a reply from lohen;

My Message:
I am interested in this "superchips bluefin" gadget, although i have a few concerns; i currently have a jcw sound kit and as such the remapped/updated ecu that comes with it, how much benefit would i see over that if any?
does the increased performance cause any excess wear and tear on the
engine drivetrain or clutch in the short or long term?
finally, as i mentioned i have the jcw sound kit, will it download the standard cooper ecu or the jcw and can i tell it to download the standard ecu at any time?

Lohen Reply:
Hi Ryan,

I am not entirely sure how much benefit you would get from the Bluefin as I don’t know much about the remap on the JCW package. Does JCW give performance figures of the sound kit?

You can expect to see between a 125-130bhp improvement with a Bluefin and considering you have an exhaust and air filter already you may be looking at around 135bhp.

The drivetrain and clutch will be able to cope with this power. You can get around 150bhp without problems with the standard gearbox. You won’t stress the clutch out with these modifications, but as always the more power you add the more you clutch has to deal with.

You will need to return the car to a standard map first. Your current ecu will only have one map on at a time. You would need to ask JCW to return the map to standard.

If you can let me know JCW published figures on the package I will be able to give you an idea of whether a Bluefin is worth a couple more bhp.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Scottie
16th May 2006, 02:41 AM
h'mmm that was not how it was explained to me but from reading the instructions supplied with the Bluefin.

It sounds about right needs to be standard settings for Bluefin to be able to find it on it's memory before it will upload the new settings.:(

H'mm not sure what I will do looks like a refund me thinks.:D

Sweeney
16th May 2006, 02:55 AM
i really don't fancy getting my remap back to standard, even if its for a bluefin :S

Wul
16th May 2006, 04:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney
You can expect to see between a 125-130bhp improvement with a Bluefin and considering you have an exhaust and air filter already you may be looking at around 135bhp.

Wow - that's some increase for a cooper - most remaps only put 10-15bhp on them :p:evil:;):clown:

Sweeney
16th May 2006, 05:06 AM
you know what he meant by that :P should've said an improvement up to 125-130bhp

T6 KFR
16th May 2006, 08:36 PM
what ever happened to the MTH remaps... not herad alot about them for a while. That was the one i was going to go for..

anyone?

MartinSullivan
16th May 2006, 09:27 PM
MTH is still available from your local MTH rep ;)

X30YES
16th May 2006, 09:53 PM
:D:D:D