PDA

View Full Version : Bomb part falls from RAF Tornado over Moray

The Dogfather
11th May 2006, 10:11 PM
The RAF has issued a warning to members of the public after one of its Tornado jets lost part of a concrete bomb over the Moray coast.

The Tornado was returning from a routine training exercise when the 10-inch long metal tailfin became detached and fell off.

The incident happened south-east of Burghead on Wednesday afternoon.

The RAF said anyone finding the part should report the discovery to the Lossiemouth base or to Grampian Police.

Use of the concrete bombs has been suspended while the incident is investigated.

RAF spokesman Michael Mulford told BBC Scotland: "It contains a smoke cartridge which they use when they drop the bombs on the ranges.

"We would say not to touch it - make a note of where it is and tell us."

Bugger, bit scary really.:eek:

AeroJonny
12th May 2006, 12:18 AM
but its not explosive, it's effectively a flare. It's a bit of metal thats come off a concrete bomb replica so its down to the manufacture of the concrete/tailfin joint rather than RAF negligence or stupidity, so I don't think its all that bad. Although, if something like that landed in ma garden....:blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::dead:

The Dogfather
12th May 2006, 12:28 AM
The tought of a piece of aircraft falling off a plane is scary, especially given the speed they travel at.

I did realise it wasn't explosive BTW ;)

AeroJonny
12th May 2006, 04:16 AM
Lol I figured u did, its just prob some eejit thinkin, oh its only a concrete dummy, this doesnt need to be put together properly. If the whole thing had fallen off, then be VERY worried!!! ;)

Sheilz
12th May 2006, 06:47 AM
The RAF were held responsible for mysterious craters that appeared in the New Aberdour area. This happened a few years back when they had a target range off the Rosehearty coast. Pretty damned scarey how low these things went and even scarier that they could miss the target in the vicinity of small villages. The range is no longer used but my mum got many a fright when screaming jets seemed to appear from between the roof tops and the profile of pilots clearly visible. One of my aunts dedicated much of her time to complaining to the RAF about the noise and fear many felt when the jets were practicing. Bless them, they did a 'fly past' at her funeral.