PDA

View Full Version : EXHAUST

ianking
11th May 2006, 08:39 PM
Ive put a new standard exhaust on my 1990 rover mini (carb type) and i used the correct bracket and sealed it up with sum gum gum stuff but i just cant get it to stop blowing at the join to the manifold.
I had it nice then i took it out for a wee drive and over the first bump it started blowing again.
Any suggestions

Burple
11th May 2006, 09:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

Ive put a new standard exhaust on my 1990 rover mini (carb type) and i used the correct bracket and sealed it up with sum gum gum stuff but i just cant get it to stop blowing at the join to the manifold.
I had it nice then i took it out for a wee drive and over the first bump it started blowing again.
Any suggestions

When you were putting it on did you loosen the inlet manifold and take the carb off? I had similar bother with ost of my classics like this :D
That appears to be the easiest way to get in to fiddle with it (without having massive ramps). You need about 6 hands, on 4 foot long arms the thickness of straws! The type of clamp you use is important too. the cheap pressed ones are really guff cos they sometimes bend...

Best thing I can suggest is to clamp the exhaust together first, then re-attach it to the head all together..

Duncan Stewart
11th May 2006, 09:17 PM
Often due to movement of the engine - are your engine mounts and engine steadies all secure and have recent rubbers in them? Also is the manifold lip OK? If it is the type of manifold I'm thinking of (combined inlet & outlet) then you can find part of the lip cracks off making it impossible to seal properly but it can still looks OK as part of the lip is still there.
Hope this helps

ianking
11th May 2006, 09:59 PM
I loosened the carb and moved it to the side to allows for better access. I wasnt over keen to remove the whole manifold and drop it down away from the car but I may have to do this.
I had thought of wrapping exhaust bandage tape round it just as a quick fix. I have entered it in the thistle run but I am pressed for time before then to go removing it again. Do you think tape will be a fix for the time being. It isnt blowing major just a bit of a noise and a bit louder than it should be.

Duncan Stewart
11th May 2006, 10:13 PM
As long as it is secure I wouldn't worry about it. On the Thistle run there will be some minis with very loud exhausts :eek::p so I don't think yours blowing a bit will be noticable. Mine always seems to blow a bit around the cat but it just makes it sound a bit sportier :D (lovin my 49.5 bhp :I:clown:)

ianking
11th May 2006, 10:25 PM
Duncan
I take it you have a 1.3 injection then.
I just like my old mini to pur along instead of being loud

Duncan Stewart
12th May 2006, 09:19 PM
No, it's a 1275cc Carb Mini Rio (50bhp version fitted to non Cooper minis 1992 to 1994). It has an RC40 rear exhaust section mainly because I don't like the look of the standard pea shooter diameter exhaust pipe and the stainless tail pipe means it doesn't look rusty. Gives a nice low burble when outside the car but inside the engine / gearbox is so noisey I don't hear the exhaust anyway :D:p