PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Stretch of Scottish Road and Why?

The Dogfather
11th May 2006, 12:31 AM
I'm thinking of putting together a website about the best roads in Scotland and I'm looking for some suggestions of which roads I should include.

Please include why they should be included - Bends, scenery, low traffic etc. Thanks :D

Scottie
11th May 2006, 12:35 AM
easy one this has to be A832 reason it's the road that takes me home after bring at work.:cool: + I know it so well I can drive it pretty fast.:D

X30YES
11th May 2006, 12:37 AM
Must be the M74 (North):D:D:D

The Dogfather
11th May 2006, 12:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Must be the M74 (North):D:D:D

Funny I quite like the southbound ;)

Come on stretch yourself people.

I love the A93 between Blairgowrie and Braemar. Great Scenery but the road is awesome, bends, hills - ultimate driving road unless you get stuck behind a coach :(

Burple
11th May 2006, 01:00 AM
It HAS to be the A82 between Crianlarich and Fort William thrrough Glen Coe! Bends - lots of them, some of them slow, some fast, but LOTS of them, and the Scenery is amazing. Actually the Scenery is the biggest attraction of this road for me, the last twice I've been up it there's been a HUGE Stag at the side of the road (in pretty much the same place!) and lots of other Deer. If it's a clear day, it's beautiful, if it's a miserable day it's intimidating. The traffic *can* be a nightmare right through Spring Summer and Autumn, but if you get it on a quiet day, you're going to have fun! Especially if there's another 15 Minis with you! :D

john
11th May 2006, 01:11 AM
A96 must have the best,you can see the rear end of trucks and tractors for most of the way and the friendly PLOD must love it as they are always there somehwere,its fantastic:clown:

The Dogfather
11th May 2006, 01:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

A96 must have the best,you can see the rear end of trucks and tractors for most of the way and the friendly PLOD must love it as they are always there somehwere,its fantastic:clown:

I think Kinghorn and Eggy might agree with you on the Plod bit ;)

Mon the fish
11th May 2006, 03:49 AM
A93 is a classic, as is the B974 just south of Strachan. One bend leads into the next, just get to the top of 3rd before hard on the anchors for the next corner.

But my personal favourite is the B769 between Newton Mearns and my old home town of Stewarton, 10 miles of unadulterated fun :D

N12 JLK
11th May 2006, 04:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

It HAS to be the A82 between Crianlarich and Fort William thrrough Glen Coe! Bends - lots of them, some of them slow, some fast, but LOTS of them, and the Scenery is amazing. Actually the Scenery is the biggest attraction of this road for me, the last twice I've been up it there's been a HUGE Stag at the side of the road (in pretty much the same place!) and lots of other Deer. If it's a clear day, it's beautiful, if it's a miserable day it's intimidating. The traffic *can* be a nightmare right through Spring Summer and Autumn, but if you get it on a quiet day, you're going to have fun! Especially if there's another 15 Minis with you! :D

Yup took the words right out my mouth, was going to post something similar but would add the stretch on from Callander too. Today was my fortnightly visit to Fortwilliam and the sun was out at 5.30am no clouds in the sky , no caravans just me . GREAT, roll on Mr D's run in August on our fave road:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Crombers
11th May 2006, 07:19 AM
Stirling Straights starting from Balloch :approve: or the MOD road between Loch Lomond & Helensburgh :approve:

The Dogfather
11th May 2006, 07:28 AM
Crombers what's the road numbers so I can find them on the map

Crombers
11th May 2006, 07:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Crombers what's the road numbers so I can find them on the map

I'll get back to you on that one Paul :I need to find a map

Big Col
11th May 2006, 03:31 PM
<blinks>

Normal_interest_________________________ hobby___________________________________ lil_bit_sad_______________________________________ ________________ plain_weird___________________this_thread! ;)

X30YES
11th May 2006, 03:40 PM
Has to be this one in N Carolina 318 bends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQOAA8Byds&search=mini%20cooper):eek: Not Scotland but still a belter of a road :p

The Dogfather
11th May 2006, 04:25 PM
Col, given that I'm off work for another 3 weeks, I thought I do summat creative :D

indigomatt
11th May 2006, 08:15 PM
A702 - the Dalveen Pass :D

Starts off at Abington (wee bit dull) then magic country roads down through the pass down to Thornhill/Drumlanrig...

...sheep litter the road sides :) three bridges pop up out of nowhere :eek: little traffic :cool: two wonderfully isolated cottages :D and a load of suicidal rabbits come the nighttime :eek:....

M.

The Dogfather
11th May 2006, 08:41 PM
Cheers Matt, will add it to the list. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm on my way back from Blackpool :). It'll make a good alternative to the M74, M8.

Duncan Stewart
11th May 2006, 10:02 PM
A85 from St Fillans to Crianlarich - great road, great scenery especially the really twisty bits at west end of Loch Earn and the spectacular climb up Glen Ogle :D

Neil and Lorna
12th May 2006, 03:21 AM
Hi Paul

The best route IMHO must be from Loch Lomond all the way up the West Coast then across the North Coast finishing Thurso.

Neil.:D:D:D

Scottie
12th May 2006, 04:39 AM
ok the best ever road I have travelled in Europe and there has been a few:) mainly with a caravan on the back mind but the best I would say for minis is the Grossglockner pass which is in Austria. The Brenner Pass is pretty good also. Then the Coastal road from Genoa Italy round to Antibes South France passing through Monaco and Nice is pretty awesome and a run round Monte Carlo ain't to bad either.:cool:

Sheilz
12th May 2006, 06:37 AM
Inverness to Portree and Inverness to Gairloch. Bit of everything and brilliant scenery. Did both of these routes yesterday from Abz and home again in wee sma hours. Took ages coz I just had to stop for just one more photo! Brilliant fun!:D:D:D:D