PDA

View Full Version : World Cup sponsorship..

Burple
10th May 2006, 12:43 AM
Yes folks.. it's time to get behind our nation's (cof cof cof) sporting ambitions... I'm with THESE sponsors...

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/7074/mars2ju.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mon' the Trinidad and Tobago!! (that's who i've got in a sweepie... :eek::blackeye::evil::I)

Smitty
10th May 2006, 12:51 AM
Argentina for the cup!!:D

England winnig the cup.......HA!! :p

And you just no when they get punted outta the group stages the excuse...."If Wanye Rooney was playing......":blackeye::disapprove:

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 12:56 AM
Don't start all the anti-English crap again! :(

We qualified so we deserve to be there, I for one will be wishing they bring the cup back home.

Perhaps the loss of Rooney and injury to Owen will allow the English Press to have a more realistic view of England's chances, but you can't blame us for wanting our team to do well.

Burple
10th May 2006, 01:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Don't start all the anti-English crap again! :(

We qualified so we deserve to be there, I for one will be wishing they bring the cup back home.

Ooo.. touchy :p

Ok.. here's a deal.. get them (the media) to stop ramming the words 'England, World Cup, Rooney, Beckham, 5-1, Germany and 1966 and "British Hooligans"' down our throats for the next 2 months and we'll lay off... :p:p:p:D:D

We wouldn't know what to do if Scotland qualified! :D
I do wish them all the best, they got there, they deserve to be there (unlike our own crappy team)... it's only the above arrogance from the media that incites us :p

I'm backing T&T to net me about £200...and there's bugger all chance of that! lol :D

p.s... There's no anti-english crap from me, I'm only messing with you:p:D

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 01:16 AM
Like I have any control over the media you watch :D...... Try switching it off or buy a paper printed in Scotland, there's little if any English football in them.

Remember the media serves the masses, and there are 10 times more Engerlanders than Scots in the UK.

I wish you lot would bloody qualify for a tournament so I don't have to put up with all the moaning. :p

Smitty
10th May 2006, 01:25 AM
Sorry VB, didnt mean to offend in any way but I do get very pissed off at the huge hype surrounding the english team!:disapprove:

England have some outstanding players, they have the best league in the world, but the national team is not a "World Cup" winning team. They don't play well together and the tactics are just all to pot sometimes!

I reckon if England get to the quarter finals they would be seriously punching above their weight!

As for the comment on rooney....its going to be said, and its going to be said so many times. Yes, rooney is Englands best player and will be missed, but he's not going to make the difference of being knocked out early as to taking them to the final!!

Anyway....rant over.....just wish our rubbish team got better, then wouldn't have to hear about England during the world cup!!;):p:D

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 01:37 AM
Smitty, no offence taken, my comments were aimed at trying to stop some of the comments getting too carried away, as they have in the past :(

The hype in the past has been seriously over the top but perhaps the press will have a more realistic opinion now Rooney is out. You've hit the nail on the head though England have crap tatics and don't play well as a team. Look at Greece, no big name players but a great team, who would have thought they'd win the Euro Champs?

One player can win the world cup though Maradonna, Rooney isn't even close though, well apart from his chubbiness ;)

Crombers
10th May 2006, 01:49 AM
Ouch !! this one's gonna get messy :I

Fact : We (Scotland) are crap & dinna deserve to be there & if we did we'd get pumped

Fact : England qualified , have a good squad (until yesterday that is :p;)) & should do well. If we as a nation had previously won the World Cup (snigger , as if) don't you think we would still be bummin about it as well.

Smitty
10th May 2006, 02:47 AM
Edging of the touchy subject of England:p;)......

Yes, Greece did extremly well, great tactics (if you liked watching 10 men in defence!!) and no big name players. And by hell did it work!:p

But they had a home advantage which does make a huge differecne. Look a Japan and South Korea last world cup, quarters and semis for them:eek:

So an good outside bet for the World Cup has to be Germany, not only a team on the up again, but home advantage!!

One player can win the world cup though Maradonna, Rooney isn't even close though, well apart from his chubbiness ;)

Think there might be another one this year......starts with "Ron" and ends with "aldinho":p:evil::D

X30YES
10th May 2006, 03:40 AM
Never read any of the above post ...but that is a belter Ewan , now how many teams do we have to cheer for before they get booted oot on penalty shoot out , god forbid they get near the second round !!!.........I remember 1966 and the stamps as well ,and have had to listen to 66 for almost 40 years now ....or is that a song !! God bless who ever they play .

Scottie
10th May 2006, 03:43 AM
did anyone watch the Maradonna programme on TV last week with Gary Lineker. did you see the mini in his garage was either a one or a cooper.:cool:

Oh I've got my money on Serbia and Montenegro

Scottie
10th May 2006, 03:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Never read any of the above post ...but that is a belter Ewan , now how many teams do we have to cheer for before they get booted oot on penalty shoot out , god forbid they get near the second round !!!.........I remember 1966 and the stamps as well ,and have had to listen to 66 for almost 40 years now ....or is that a song !! God bless who ever they play .

that makes you 106 years old:eek: oh no wait a minute:I you could be 40;):p:kiss:

Scottie
10th May 2006, 03:47 AM
:Dtalking about football anyone seen the Gretna add on telly.???? it's really funny and good:D:cool:

X30YES
10th May 2006, 03:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

that makes you 106 years old:eek: oh no wait a minute:I you could be 40;):p:kiss:
Try Nifty 50 Fi :p

N12 JLK
10th May 2006, 04:05 AM
You cant be 50:I

X30YES
10th May 2006, 04:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

You cant be 50:I
Hey you shut it :blackeye::D

duncan
10th May 2006, 05:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Yes folks.. it's time to get behind our nation's (cof cof cof) sporting ambitions... I'm with THESE sponsors...

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/7074/mars2ju.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mon' the Trinidad and Tobago!! (that's who i've got in a sweepie... :eek::blackeye::evil::I)

Class Ewan.
Only a few more weeks to put up with this nonsense.

At least we learned our lesson from the 1978 send off, and just see what turns out at the World Cup, if we make it. :p
Unlike some nation thats media is already working out who they will beat in the final.:mad:

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 06:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan
Unlike some nation thats media is already working out who they will beat in the final.:mad:

Sorry but thats not true most of the English Media has been critical of Sven's Squad. The coverage so far has been pretty downbeat given the injuries to key members of the team, Owen, Ashley Cole, Rooney etc.

duncan
10th May 2006, 07:15 AM
Sorry, but before Rooney broke his toe, there were certain sections of the Tabloid press who were touting this.
Now he's out, and Sven has picked a squad with unknowns, the tune has changed.

Radio 5 Live is a nightmare just now. The Sunday morning after he broke his toe, that was all they broadcast as the main news story. Strife in the Middle East, famine in Africa, nah, some footballer missing the world cup took up more than 50% of the reporting. Hardly balanced journalism.

sh@z
10th May 2006, 07:55 AM
They aren't going to win, whats everyone complaining about :p ... Just wait until they get knocked out then we can get our own backs lol

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 02:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

They aren't going to win, whats everyone complaining about :p ... Just wait until they get knocked out then we can get our own backs lol

Own back?

Duncan, there's been strife in the middle east since the crusades, I bet Angus can remember that far back ;) Hardly news! Given that its a sport channel, football is the national game, its the most important football tournament and he's supposed to be the best footballer England have, not my opinion Gerrard is far more important, it sounds pretty balanced to me. The touting you describe is national pride and a excitement.

Anyway, the more I hear about the media the more it sounds like petty jealousy. Perhaps the magnanimous Scots among you will be wishing their neighbours well rather than hoping we crash out in the early stages.

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 02:52 PM
One more question Duncan, the tabloid press you mention are all printed locally with a local perspective. The tabloids in Scotland certainly wouldn't be talking up the English chances would they?

X30YES
10th May 2006, 02:57 PM
'' Sorry but thats not true most of the English Media has been critical of Sven's Squad''

WHATS NEW :pand old headlines will be at the ready as well when the riots -smashing of trains planes and trams start not to mention the odd table being thrown at some poor wee frau having a quiet coffe and cake and thats before the start as well , oh and dont mention the war or the Dambusters tune :p:D:D

Big Col
10th May 2006, 04:02 PM
I see the stunted stirrer has struck again! Just to save time and to stop this thread going on for weeks we can just summarise as follows:

Media : Fuds
England footy team : Decent team, have no a bad chance but we're Scottish and hence hope they get humped. It's genetics. We cannie help it!
Vidal Buffoon : Touchy Sassenach crusader who's attempting to change the aforesaid geneticall inbuilt hopes of humpage with a few posts and seeming cannie realise the futility of trying.
lnl : Professional spoon wielder, Grade 1 stirring action, certification pending.
Angus : An old curmudgeon who actually remembers a world before colour TV and fire. Has had to put up with YEARS of the media being fuds!
SC : Well...she's a burd...what does she know about footy?
Smitty : Seems to be far too "Nice" and logical to be on here. Suspect there is something sinister going on that we haven't picked up on.
Crombers : Bit of a bummer that has a fetish about Vidal! Is happy to go sell his soul in the hopes of a quick fiddle.
Shaz : From the same guild of stirrers as lnl. Grade 4 wind up merchant.
Duncan : Possibly older than Angus, fed up with media and wishes it was more like it was in the old days!

:D:clown::)

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 04:19 PM
Sorted, lock the thread. :D

duncan
10th May 2006, 04:57 PM

Duncan, there's been strife in the middle east since the crusades, I bet Angus can remember that far back ;) Hardly news! Given that its a sport channel, football is the national game, its the most important football tournament and he's supposed to be the best footballer England have, not my opinion Gerrard is far more important, it sounds pretty balanced to me. The touting you describe is national pride and a excitement.

Erm, R5 Live is NEWS and Sport. Its also a UK broadcaster. There are 3 other countries, (not regions) that make up the UK, so fair and Balanced reporting? Nope. I'll be retuning to Radio Scotland until August, to escape the hype.

Anyway, the more I hear about the media the more it sounds like petty jealousy. Perhaps the magnanimous Scots among you will be wishing their neighbours well rather than hoping we crash out in the early stages.

As if any Scot, bar Alan Hansen, are jealous of England!
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, best laugh EVER!

One more question Duncan, the tabloid press you mention are all printed locally with a local perspective. The tabloids in Scotland certainly wouldn't be talking up the English chances would they?

Clearly, you've never read looked at the pictures in the Daily Star, the worst culprit. The News of the World, occasionally also has its faux pas where it doesn't edit the English stories too well for the other countries.

Also you were bumping your gums about the lack of coverage of the English game. Picking two Sunday newspapers at random from the recycle bin, produced the Sunday Mail, and the NotW.

The NotW has 6 pages for the English leagues, and the SM has 3. Do you get a similar amount in the English based versions of the Scottish leagues? Nope, you don't.

Turning to broadcast media, when does a National Free to Air broadcaster show highlights of the Scottish Game throughout the UK? Never, and Scotland only on the MONDAY night! The English leagues? Saturday night.

Anyway, we've got the Kirin Cup on Saturday, thankfully BBC Scotland will be showing that, followed by the Scottish Cup Final. How will I manage with a Scottish Football overload? Ach, I think i'll head to the pub for medication. :p

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 05:48 PM
Within the UK the ratio of English to Scots is 10 to 1. Scots are a minority within the UK.- Fact

Media caters to the majority therefore there will be more coverage of English football on a UK wide channel. However Scotland does have its own regional programming and shows Scottish teams in European Cup games in preference to English Teams, also the Scottish Cup Games are being shown in preference to the FA Cup final this weekend, which is right because the majority of people watching up here will be interested in that game.

The timing and coverage of Scottish games is probably more to do with contracts.

If you are going to survey the papers you need to do it with a balanced perspective, funny how you didn't randomly pick up a mid-week paper or one of the Scottish papers like the Daily Record, Scotsman, P&J and Sunday Mail. Instead you just happened upon two papers who's Sunday's football inserts aren't printed in Scotland. Hardly definative.

Seeing that Five Live can't discuss Scotland's chances in the world cup, perhaps they should do a feature on where the Scottish Footballers are going on holiday this summer, would that help.

Scottie
10th May 2006, 06:18 PM
Now hold on.

I don't want to be reading in the papers about

"The Heading"

Man jailed for life for killing and eating a internet acquaintance.;):p:D

did anyone read about that story in the papers today.:question: The guy wanted eaten alive:eek::eek:

euan
10th May 2006, 07:57 PM

did anyone watch the Maradonna programme on TV last week with Gary Lineker. did you see the mini in his garage was either a one or a cooper.:cool:

Oh I've got my money on Serbia and Montenegro

I've got tickets to see Serbia & Montenegro play Argentina :)

Will be in Germany for 10 days - can't wait

Smitty
10th May 2006, 08:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Smitty : Seems to be far too "Nice" and logical to be on here. Suspect there is something sinister going on that we haven't picked up on.

Haha, PMSL!!:p

I was just tryin to be nice, and not stir up to much sh*t!!

O well i'll come out with it now

ENGLAND ARE PISH AND I HOPE THEY GET HUMPED!!:p:p:p;);):D

MON THE SCOTS!!:Dwere playin some pishy little tournament soon are we no?:blackeye::I:dead:

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 08:07 PM
Smitty - not sure if you know this but the scots didn't qualify. Perhaps next time!

Smitty
10th May 2006, 08:13 PM

Smitty - not sure if you know this but the scots didn't qualify. Perhaps next time!

I know that!!:p

But we are playin some friendly tournament i asia soon i think!!

duncan
10th May 2006, 08:15 PM

Within the UK the ratio of English to Scots is 10 to 1. Scots are a minority within the UK.- Fact

Fact, there are 4 countries in the UK. It was a Union, and not a takeover that brought two of them together.
That aside, Scottish sport doesn't even make up 10% of the coverage on free to air broadcasters.

Media caters to the majority therefore there will be more coverage of English football on a UK wide channel. However Scotland does have its own regional programming and shows Scottish teams in European Cup games in preference to English Teams, also the Scottish Cup Games are being shown in preference to the FA Cup final this weekend, which is right because the majority of people watching up here will be interested in that game.

So the Scottish Cup is live up here, and the English one Live down there. Will the BBC in Scotland show highlights of the FA Cup later? Yes, twice.

Will BBC England show highlights of the Scottish Cup?
Not according to the listings on BBCi

So tough luck if you're a Scot in England, but hey, you're OK if you're an Englishman in Scotland.

The timing and coverage of Scottish games is probably more to do with contracts.

More than likely. However, I seem to recall from the last time the SFA had a contract for coverage the BBC didn't try hard to get the rights. Unlike the Premiership rights.

If you are going to survey the papers you need to do it with a balanced perspective, funny how you didn't randomly pick up a mid-week paper or one of the Scottish papers like the Daily Record, Scotsman, P&J and Sunday Mail. Instead you just happened upon two papers who's Sunday's football inserts aren't printed in Scotland. Hardly definative.

Get your facts right. ;) Both the NotW and Sunday Mail are Scottish.
They have bases in Glasgow. And the reason for chosing that day? You moaned that your dad couldn't get coverage of the English game when he was up, the last time this topic came up.

They're also the largest selling papers in Scotland, on a Sunday, which does provide a fair reflection.

Even both of the largest selling dailys today, have stories, albeit not huge, about last nights play off game.

And the last time I looked, the P&J is neither a Tabloid, or National newspaper.

Seeing that Five Live can't discuss Scotland's chances in the world cup, perhaps they should do a feature on where the Scottish Footballers are going on holiday this summer, would that help.

Aye, it would.

That, and Scottish commentry for the World Cup, so we don't hear pointless references to 1966 in the first 10 minutes of a game between Serbia and the Ivory Coast.

Cast your mind back to France 98, long time, I know.
The opening game of the World Cup was Brazil v Scotland, and England had their own seperate commentry, for that, an the other games involving Scotland. How can we not

X30YES
10th May 2006, 08:27 PM
Shame about the ratio in the H's of Parliament then :p
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/1664/ignore_ad3.jpg

AND LETS HOPE WE SEE THIS ONE SOONER RATHER THAN LATER
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/1664/Entry269_1256.jpg :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Crombers
10th May 2006, 08:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Crombers : Bit of a bummer that has a fetish about Vidal! Is happy to go sell his soul in the hopes of a quick fiddle.

To be fair , not a bad description sir :approve:

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 08:59 PM
Scottish Regional Media is biased towards the Scots.

English Regional Media is biased towards the English

UK wide media caters towards the majority - The English (6 to 1 ratio all nations included) but also mentions the other nations in proportion, the chances are the reason the hasn't been much coverage is because only England qualified.

Scottish Papers or at least the bits that are written in Scotland don't have much English Football.

English Papers have very little Scottish Football.

Scottish Regional TV carries as much Scottish Football it is contracted to.

England have won the world cup, and we are entitled to crow about it as much as we like, you can do the same when you win it.

It would be very crass to have English commentators broadcasting to Scotland on a Scottish game, I remember the game and as far as I recall it was a Scottish Commentator and Terry Butcher in England. Although it was introduced by the pundit team that does Match of the Day now. Big Ears, Hansen and co.

Can't say I've ever read the NOTW as its a Sun paper and after Hillsborough no self respecting Liverpool fan would. Mail on Sunday - Sunday Mail my mistake. However I wasn't just commenting on tabloids I was talking about scottish papers as a whole so add to that list the Herald.

I agree with you about Ian Wright though he's a tosser.

euan
10th May 2006, 09:06 PM
I have the opposite problem to VB - I live in England as a Scotsman.

It's almost enough to make me pack my bags and get back north, unbearable the amount of crap gets written (and spoken....)

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 09:27 PM
Here's an interesting fact 10% of the people living in Scotland are actually English :eek:

Gismo
10th May 2006, 09:40 PM
Sheesh, not this one again :evil: VB, why do you bite so easily :p;)
Many posts on NMS mention "the media" that refers to the TV industry as opposed to out and out tabloid representation.
Get over it man "the media" ram any world cup, european tourney etc etc and all the baggage attached to them down our throats
As a for instance, many months ago when the live draw was made (and i commented on it then) the TV presenter mentioned that England would dispose of Germany in the quarter's if THEY made it.
Yes "the media" can blow their trumpet because you're in it, but for heaven's sake let "the media" be realistic

I will gladly lock this thread as I know where it's going :p

X30YES
10th May 2006, 09:47 PM
England have won the world cup, :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:wondered how long that would take to jump oot the sewers again :evil:

X30YES
10th May 2006, 09:49 PM
''I will gladly lock this thread as I know where it's going '' dont you dare ...hes getting it !!

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 09:54 PM
Don't lock it, as long as it doesn't become one of those 'We hate the English Thread', then its good to have a discussion.

Anyway BS you're wrong as usual ;) the Media can't be realistic because it doesn't sell :p

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 09:56 PM

England have won the world cup, :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:wondered how long that would take to jump oot the sewers again :evil:

well we have, whats the problem only 6 other teams have

Scottie
10th May 2006, 10:04 PM
anyway is not the Polish fans that will be causing all the trouble at this world cup. Which the "media" have reported on. Sounds pretty bad to me they have well organised gangs coming and currently they have a massive football hooligan problem in Poland.

For what it is worth I hope England get far in the competition cause I could watch David Beckham running round a football pitch all day.:kiss::kiss::kiss: not Rooney though he is pot ugly:disapprove:

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 10:28 PM

For what it is worth I hope England get far in the competition cause I could watch David Beckham running round a football pitch all day.:kiss::kiss::kiss: not Rooney though he is pot ugly:disapprove:

:D:D:D

Trouble is Beckham is pish, I wouldn't have him in team.

duncan
10th May 2006, 11:23 PM
[I agree with you about Ian Wright though he's a tosser.

:D:D

Burple
10th May 2006, 11:27 PM
quote:

Anyway BS you're wrong as usual ;) the Media can't be realistic because it doesn't sell :p

Unfortunately you're right. Only sensationalism sells these days. You don't even have to have any talent to be famous these days fercripessakes!

The bottom of the barrel (apart from the tabloids) has to be those reality shows invloving celebrities - where the celebrities only happen to be 'famous' because of other reality shows. Once the bandwagon starts rolling...
I mean.. A reality tv show about a hairdressing salon? :eek::mad:
(that's more up your street tho Paul.. ;);))

at the end of the day, we *all* have the ability to change the channel (more likely the 'off' button), and there's always *mute* for those irritating commentators and the CONSTANT barrage of inane advertising.

I'm not saying that England (a generalistaion)don't have the right to brag about '66 (I'm darn sure *WE* would), but as a part of the UK surely the media (TV and print) should be showing some consideration to the other 3 nations in the Union?
(Don't argue about that! It was a rhetorical question! :p)

:)

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 11:41 PM
We gave Captian Scarlet (Alan Hansen) a job commentating on English football :), there's the balance.

What does rhetorical mean :p

Smitty
10th May 2006, 11:53 PM
Alan Hansen.....you mean the most English Scottish man ever!!!???:p;)

The Dogfather
10th May 2006, 11:56 PM
He was a God at Anfield :approve:

Burple
11th May 2006, 05:57 PM

We gave Captian Scarlet (Alan Hansen) a job sticking his tongue as far up the English public's @rse as he can :), there's the balance.

:D yes...

quote:
What does rhetorical mean :p

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p