PDA

View Full Version : Static...

zimbo
2nd May 2006, 01:51 AM
Does anyone else on NMS get a little shock when they get out there car and touch the door handle to close the door? I have got one every time I've closed the door since I picked him up... :disapprove:

Neil and Lorna
2nd May 2006, 01:56 AM
I do on occasion depending on what type of shoes I'm wearing.

Weird eh:cool::D

Neil:D

Sweeney
2nd May 2006, 01:57 AM
i get static shocks off a lot of things, scared to turn a light off/on because of it :P had a bad one once where i went to move tv on its turntable thing and it shocked me 3 times, 3 "loud enough" sparks and my hand was numb for about half an hour :S

depends what fabrics your wearing i believe

The Dogfather
2nd May 2006, 02:12 AM
Zimbo, you need a rubber suit, perhaps you can borrow LnLs ;)

Mark R
2nd May 2006, 02:27 AM
You can get a drag strip I believe that will earth the car underneath so you won't get shocked. It attaches to a metal part and drags along the road. Once you start getting shocked again it's time to replace it.

The shocks are often caused by the material you wear building up static. Different types of tyres insulate the car differently so you could try switching what make of tyre your using when yours are done.

Sweeney
2nd May 2006, 02:30 AM
good thing about it though is if your alternator goes on the blink, just touch each end of the battery ;)

lightbody
2nd May 2006, 02:36 AM
Never - in either of my MINIs.

sleepyrascal
2nd May 2006, 03:09 AM
I get this. I seriously am now in the habit of closing the door with the cuff of my top. Ive never thought about until now !! HAHA :D

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2006, 03:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by zimbo

Does anyone else on NMS get a little shock when they get out there car and touch the door handle to close the door? I have got one every time I've closed the door since I picked him up... :disapprove:

I worked with static for 3 years during a sabatical out of the family business.

It's more than likely your shoes and the clothes you normally wear.
As the static charge builds up in you, when you touch the car's metalwork, you are discharging (effectively earthing) yourself into the car. Other than carrying a 1Meg resistor and using that to touch the car with for a second before you get in, there's really little you can do. Leather soles on your shoes and stay away from man-made fabrics. Not entirely practical.

To be honest, the static strips atached to the back of a car not only look hideous, they don't really work.

The static shocks you are feeling will be in the region of 20,000 volts. The static shocks Sweeney got as he moved his telly were probably more in the region of 100,000 volts plus. Either that, or he's a big girls blouse.:blackeye::eek::D

Sweeney
2nd May 2006, 03:19 AM
no ive had my big blouse moments but the tv incident was a scary one, hand went numb and fingers were twitching and everything, shat meself :)

although its not really down to volts but how many amps go through you :P

Moonshine
2nd May 2006, 03:46 AM
cheap pants??

Gerry :)

X30YES
2nd May 2006, 03:50 AM
its not a Mini thing ...its the body and I get it often zaaaaaaap , try a chain under the car something to ground it ..it might take the/zap shock away ,nylon and tumble dryers seem to enhance it as well !!!

Burple
2nd May 2006, 05:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Zimbo, you need a rubber suit, perhaps you can borrow LnLs ;)

He'd never get those Zebra-chasing legs inside it! :p:p:p

I get it all the time off stuff, most recently being the tip of me mate's cats's ear! She wasn't entirely chuffed about it! :blackeye::I:D:D

Smurf
2nd May 2006, 06:25 AM
I get static off my Mini all the time. But then I get static off a lot of things, so I didn't think anything of it.

Big Col
2nd May 2006, 04:29 PM
Yup. Like Smurf I get static from lots of things so didn't think much about it when I get it from me motor all the time. :)

s12cot
3rd May 2006, 04:43 PM
never had it from any other car apart from the Mini.... it really pisses the Mrs. off:evil:

sjfield1
3rd May 2006, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

I get this. I seriously am now in the habit of closing the door with the cuff of my top. Ive never thought about until now !! HAHA :D

I find myself closing my door with my elbow most of the time! my firends all think i am mad until they go for the door handle and get a shock!! LOL!! :dead:

zimbo
3rd May 2006, 11:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by sjfield1

I find myself closing my door with my elbow most of the time!

Thats what I have started doing as well or just pulling my sleeve down over my wrist on one arm and then closing the door...

By the way was that you I saw picking up your car from Menzies a couple of weeks ago, that was my motorbike that was parked near your new baby (yellow MINI) :) Which was very nice.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd May 2006, 11:25 PM
Sad thing is, as the weather gets warmer and dryer it will all get worse.:eek:

sjfield1
8th May 2006, 07:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by zimbo

quote:Originally posted by sjfield1

I find myself closing my door with my elbow most of the time!

Thats what I have started doing as well or just pulling my sleeve down over my wrist on one arm and then closing the door...

By the way was that you I saw picking up your car from Menzies a couple of weeks ago, that was my motorbike that was parked near your new baby (yellow MINI) :) Which was very nice.

Hey, yeah that was me picking up my new car. its not really felt like a new one tho coz its exactly the same as the last one. I was admiring your bike too!! Very nice! :D