PDA

View Full Version : Whine from engine when idling

Big Col
30th April 2006, 05:58 PM
This only started a few days ago. It goes away when I rev slightly. I thought it was the either the cooling fan or aircon at first as when it first started I was moving but now it's started doing it at idle and goes away when revved, coming back again when it returns to idle. Bloody annoying! Does anyone have a similar problem or any ideas what it could be?

The Dogfather
30th April 2006, 06:28 PM
Sounds like a belt or summat, are you sure its not the power steering?

Mind you I'm sure there's a few people who'd be happy to give you a good belt :D

Gismo
30th April 2006, 06:37 PM
Is your girl friend in the car at the time :p:blackeye:;):I

Mini Me
30th April 2006, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

ooooooooooohhhhhhhh :eek::blackeye::evil::D

X30YES
30th April 2006, 07:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Big Col
30th April 2006, 07:26 PM
<rolls eyes> I even specified "coming from the engine" in an attempt to aviod that obvious gag. <sighs> :)

X30YES
30th April 2006, 07:43 PM
Old boiler !!:D:D

Big Col
1st May 2006, 06:02 PM
It aint the power steering I don't think Vidal. It does it when going in a straight line or not even moving.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Scottie
1st May 2006, 06:07 PM
well when I had a loose belt on my Zeemax Mini the one that goes on the pulley thingy( you know the one that folks change when adding more bhp) what the name for that pulley??? it made a whine and when you rev the car it went away.

The Dogfather
1st May 2006, 06:10 PM
Supercharger belt SC, Col my power steering made the whine whenever the engine was running.

Scottie
1st May 2006, 06:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Supercharger belt SC, Col my power steering made the whine whenever the engine was running.

that's the name. Thanks:D

redpoint rallying
1st May 2006, 06:58 PM
Col,

I had this recently. JC changed the drive belt, tensioner etc but eventually it was found to be the lower pulley. When it was removed it was found that the rubber bush within it had worn. The pulley was replaced and the whine noise stopped.

M

Big Col
1st May 2006, 08:00 PM
Excellent. Thanks M. Methinks a wee pop into JCs is in order. It is ok to take it to another dealer when it's a warranty claim and not the one you got it from isn't it?

Gismo
1st May 2006, 08:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
It is ok to take it to another dealer when it's a warranty claim and not the one you got it from isn't it?
Nah mate, you'll have to take it all the way back to weegie land ;):p;)

The Dogfather
1st May 2006, 09:53 PM
I thought you had to take it back to the factory to get belts fixed :D

X30YES
1st May 2006, 11:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I thought you had to take it back to the factory to get belts fixed :D
You'll get a belt in a min :p:D:D

Big Col
2nd May 2006, 04:30 PM
That's a pi$$er about having to take it to Weegieland. Especially since I bought it in Stirling! Frikkin Teuchters! :evil:;):D