PDA

View Full Version : Run Flat Tyre Choice :S

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 02:07 AM
Hey! i'll be getting new alloys (r99s) with run flats in the near future and it's dawned on me, after being asked what tyres i would like i haven't the slightest clue about whats what :clown:

i know dunlop and goodyear have run flat tyres, my current are goodyear run flats, i know that you can get all season and performance ill be using mine all year round if that helps.

So has anyone any suggestions as to what i opt for?

Big Col
29th April 2006, 03:22 AM
I've always got dunlops and never had any real feelings about them any other way mate. They aint exceptional and they aint crap. I've just changed to pirellis at the front so will let you know in a week or so what I think of them. :)

gill
29th April 2006, 03:24 AM
We've got Pirellis on at the mo... no probs with them. I'll be needing new fronts soon and would have the same again. :D

AeroJonny
29th April 2006, 03:24 AM
What col said...apart from the changing to pirellis part ;)

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 03:26 AM
ah so it looks like stick to what im used to? i just don;t want to end up say getting gy's and they turn out to be lemons, no grip, bad in wet conditions etc.

(btw norman i haven't decided where ill get my stuff yet incase you thought ive went elsewhere :P)

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 04:34 AM
so, next question: is there going to be any differences i notice/feel going from 16" with run flats to 17" with run flats?

lightbody
29th April 2006, 05:48 AM
Yes, it will be even bumpier and you may also feel it tramlining a bit if there's uneven road surfaces etc!

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 05:54 AM
ah well, cant be THAT much bumpier than it currently is, spine snapping ride already :P
tram lining i can put up with, surely they won't be that much different though? only an inch difference?

lightbody
29th April 2006, 06:59 AM
Paul Mullett - the guy that runs MINI2 - has tested lots of MINIs with all wheel sizes and says he won't use 17s because of the tramlining issue.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/wheels-tyres-suspension-brakes/109880-17-tyres-steering-issues.html?highlight=tramlining

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 07:08 AM
ah cheers, seems to be of mixed opinion though, but it has brought up another question from me: weight in the wheels affecting acceleration, im using the 5 star 16's just now, surely there can't be a big weight increase to the r99's?

as for tramlining, andyp & lenore you have the r99s do you notice bad tramlining?

Crombers
29th April 2006, 07:14 AM
17's since day one with Sports Suspension Plus. I love the handling (hard as!!) & that's what MINI's should be all about imho. In the dry it is as sure as but in the wet it aint so good on runflats but then again i love the 'drift' (when safe to do so) you get on the twisties :approve:

At the end of the day BMW spent millions developing the car & who am I to disagree with their final product (love it) & the rubber they chose :p;)

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 07:15 AM
dont get me wrong i love the motor, no gripes about it at all, just don't want to make a hash of selecting what tyres.

AndyP & Lenore
29th April 2006, 07:32 AM
Sweeney, we had 17" Pirelli runflats on our Cooper CVT. But when we got our MCSa we put R99's on and asked for the Dunlop runflats moved over to the R99's.

We now have Dunlop run flats on our R99's. Much prefer the Dunlops to the Pirelli's. I feel they have much more grip. We almost lost the back end of the Cooper a couple of times on moderately greasy roundabouts (not at high speed I might add), but the Dunlop's stick like sh!t to a blanket.:D

A.

lightbody
29th April 2006, 07:48 AM
My previous Cooper on 15" wheels, handled better than my current one on 16" wheels. Less grip though. It was far more "alive" and more like a Classic Mini. Similar to the classic Mini which handled better on 12s than 13s. Bigger wheels not necessarily better!

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 06:50 PM
ah think ill go for the dunlops then giving what andyp/lenore said, what dunlops have you got?

AndyP & Lenore
29th April 2006, 10:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

ah think ill go for the dunlops then giving what andyp/lenore said, what dunlops have you got?

:approve:

We've got Dunlop SP9000 205/45 vr 17.

Sweeney
29th April 2006, 10:26 PM
cheers, popped into the dealer today told them price up with dunlops so ill see what tyre they come back with.

X30YES
30th April 2006, 05:04 PM
read tyre test (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=D39155&dsco=10)

Sweeney
26th June 2006, 05:08 AM
Just thought there i didn't know whether sp 9000's were rf's or not. Also which ones norman will order, did a search and theres sp 9000's or sp 9000 DSST's (run flats), andy/lenore is it the DSST's you have fitted rather than just the normal sp 9000's?

AndyP & Lenore
26th June 2006, 06:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

Just thought there i didn't know whether sp 9000's were rf's or not. Also which ones norman will order, did a search and theres sp 9000's or sp 9000 DSST's (run flats), andy/lenore is it the DSST's you have fitted rather than just the normal sp 9000's?

Ours are defo Runflats. Whether they are DSST's or not. I Dunno.

Will go look. BRB.:D

AndyP & Lenore
26th June 2006, 06:10 AM
Yes indeedy.

They are DSST's

A.:D

Sweeney
26th June 2006, 03:03 PM
thank you very much indeed, norman take note although i'll say to you on the phone as well :p

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 02:36 AM
Well, finally the car has it's new shoes and i can report that the ride is surprisingly softer, more comfortable, theres no tramlining at all, feels a wee bit nimbler (don't know how that could be though :question:) and tyre noise wise if anything they are a bit quieter.

AndyP & Lenore
13th July 2006, 02:59 AM
Glad you are pleased.:D