PDA

View Full Version : Works S test drive

euan
11th November 2003, 07:30 PM
I happened to wander past my local dealer the other week and spotted a Works S outside. I popped in, had a chat with a very helpful bloke and discovered to my joy that it was their demo car. So I booked a test drive. Friday afternoon comes and I'm at the dealer, anxious to drive this thing. Having read so much about it, I just wanted to get out there. Now, my local dealer at the moment is in Wimbledon (I'll come on to that in a minute), so it takes 30 minutes to get to a point where you can actually drive above 40mph. But the point on the A3 where it beckons 3 lanes is great, as most people don't use the outside lane. So you can build up the speed and blat past most people. I loved the noise. I loved the push in your back in 3rd gear when you put your foot down. I loved the way it just kept going. I loved the 3/4 mile slip road on the return journey when nobody else was on it....

Having spoken to the people in the dealership about costs, it would be 3.5 to 4K to fit this kit. Plus the insurance over, say 3 years. Suddenly your looking at 6-7 K extra for this kit. At that point I started having major doubts. While it was no doubt faster, was it that much better? So on Sunday I undertook some serious background checks on my S around Oxfordshire lanes. 4 hours later and a serious amount of miles, and I realised that I loved my S just the way it was. To be honest, it scared the c**p out of me on more than one occasion in the way that corners sneak up on you. All part of the fun :) I would like the noise, but the extra oomph just does nothing for me, as I love the MINIs handling, thats the cars appeal to me, and the S is fast enough, thank you.

So, before I get flamed to bits, all you works people, I love your cars, make no mistake, it's a serious piece of kit, it just is not for me. I'd rather spend the money on an old Westfield and run that as a toy as well.

On the Wimbledon front, am I still allowed to be a member of NMS if I live in the dreaded south? I promise I wont go all southern!

Willie M
11th November 2003, 08:48 PM
Nice to hear your thoughts on both the Works and the standard S Euan. Don't worry, you ain't gonna get flamed :)

I agree with you that the standard S is a cracker of a car in it's own right. The Works kit definitely gives you more of everything but, as you say the extra costs and the insurance implications have to be taken into account.

At the end of the day it's all about what you (or any driver) is happy with. You're obviously having great fun with your Cooper S and that's the main thing :cool: Personally I love the feel of the standard Cooper, I just wish it had a wee bit more poke at times :D

Oh, and as for Wimbledon.... no worries there Euan. You'll still be welcome by all at NMS. We've had several of our English friends venture North for 3 of our runs this year, and a couple who came all the way from Ireland :cool:

All are welcome in NMSville.

seany
11th November 2003, 09:37 PM
your insurance for a cooper s works is, well i am with liverpool victoria, this is the good part, thay insurance me with the cooper s, now the mod of the works don't come on to your insurance, as long as you have photos of the mod,thay will insurance.

as willie say (all are welcome in NMS) welcome to the site

Burple
12th November 2003, 12:11 AM
Hey... got to agree with all the fun parts about the Coopers S Works...
Went for a test drive in one on Saturday..
awesome... I stopped grinning like an idiot ... oh sometime next week!!

Seriously don't think I could own one... What a hooligan's toy!!! ;)
I think my licence would last about a week! It's just too much fun!!!

seany
12th November 2003, 01:29 AM
tell me about it

Duncan Stewart
12th November 2003, 03:03 AM
I know what you mean Euan. I keep thinking about a Cooper S then take my Cooper out for a good thrash round the local back roads, scare the sh*t out of myself, love the handling and have a huge grin on my face and wonder why bother? But then when you try to overtake some as*hole on a straight bit of road and they speed up and stop you then you want the extra power!
I still fancy a few engine mods sometime and if liverpool victoria don't charge you extra for the mods it make it less expensive insurance wise.

seany
12th November 2003, 04:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I know what you mean Euan. I keep thinking about a Cooper S then take my Cooper out for a good thrash round the local back roads, scare the sh*t out of myself, love the handling and have a huge grin on my face and wonder why bother? But then when you try to overtake some as*hole on a straight bit of road and they speed up and stop you then you want the extra power!
I still fancy a few engine mods sometime and if liverpool victoria don't charge you extra for the mods it make it less expensive insurance wise.

ye i was surprise when thay said it to me.