PDA

View Full Version : MINI COOPER TUNING - What works, What doesn't?

ELFMAN
11th November 2003, 01:51 AM
Anyone got info (unbiased) regarding the "NEWMINISPORT" COOPER upgrade(s). I'm determined to do "things" with my Cooper rather than go for an S, 'cos I really like it (we're very close). However, after my Pipercross Induction Fiasco (louder, slower) and reading the "Don't bother modifying a Cooper" (Testing of the "Works" and "Janspeed" conversions etc) in 'EVO', I'm really wary of flinging money at it for no gains (and I don't just mean noise).

Surely SOMETHING must make it go genuinely faster. I know the Magnex system works - I've got one! Any ideas???

Gismo
11th November 2003, 02:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

Anyone got info (unbiased) regarding the "NEWMINISPORT" COOPER upgrade(s). I'm determined to do "things" with my Cooper rather than go for an S, 'cos I really like it (we're very close). However, after my Pipercross Induction Fiasco (louder, slower) and reading the "Don't bother modifying a Cooper" (Testing of the "Works" and "Janspeed" conversions etc) in 'EVO', I'm really wary of flinging money at it for no gains (and I don't just mean noise).

Surely SOMETHING must make it go genuinely faster. I know the Magnex system works - I've got one! Any ideas???
I think your best bet is an ecu upgrade, but even then it's only like 8 BHP, your really struggling for significant gains, even the cooper works slows it down :(

You could try a performance cam, gas flow route etc, try BBR, i think they might surprise you, call Mickey on 01780 700800

God luck

Bonnie scotland

minidriver#1
11th November 2003, 03:28 AM
i'm determined to fit an m3 engine in my cooper body. Thats the only thing i know off that would work good and proper. Alan's advice is the best though.

john
11th November 2003, 04:07 AM
Modding a Cooper!

Why did'nt I think of that:)

Playmini swear that their conversion is fantastic,but I only have their word for that.

I have driven a couple of John Cooper Works and for the money it costs I would expect it to fly.

It did'nt:mad:

I certainly do not rate the works cooper kit.

And remember that is just my personal opinion and I am sure there are others who will not agree.

At the end of the day its your money not mine:clown:

Duncan Stewart
11th November 2003, 06:09 PM
Like elfman I would also like to tune my Cooper rather than change it for an S. I have investigated various tuning packages and it seems there are lots of gains to be made with a Cooper (despite what evo magazine say). The John Cooper works is a lot of money for little gain. Minisport & Minispeed can do 160bhp for about £3K, but Janspeed seems best at about 150bhp for £1500. I have read very positive reviews of these conversions in other magazines. However I have decided to wait a couple of years until warranty runs out and the new mini tuning market matures (more power, less money!) before doing anything. One thing to remember tho - the more power you have, the more power you want!:evil:

ELFMAN
11th November 2003, 10:10 PM
"the more power you have, the more power you want!"

You're quite right Stu. I really should know better. When I had my 106GTI up to around 170bhp, I had a notion to get it SUPERCHARGED (@ £4K to give 225bhp+) which proves your point. Glad I didn't - I'd be dead. Or chasing Scoobies, then dead. That's why I sold it and bought the MINI. Maybe I should leave well alone eh? The Cooper's a fine wee car as it is, and has a habit of giving you more than you expect. It did run beautifully on the Skye trip. Mmmmmmm. Why are simple things so complicated? Answers on a postcard to: Ward 7, Tuning Addiction Clinic, Lanarkshire.

seany
11th November 2003, 10:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN
Answers on a postcard to: Ward 7, Tuning Addiction Clinic, Lanarkshire.

ok now problam

Wul
12th November 2003, 01:47 AM
Out of interest - did anyone see topgear on sunday when they were talking about the Saab?

Jezza Clarkson said that a saab engineer reckoned 220bhp was the maximum advisable for a front wheel car.

Alan - what did you say Mili was spitting out now? :D

<alans mental note - get 4WD ordered;)>

Willie M
12th November 2003, 04:44 PM
Can only echo what most of you are saying. I'd been looking into one or two possible Cooper mod options this year (really had my heart set on the Janspeed conversion) but have been disappointed with the 'bang per buck' equation. i.e. paying quite a lot of pennies for not that much more BHP / performance.

I saw the NEWMINISPORT Cooper, and spoke to the guy from NMS, on the Hearbeat Run this year and whilst he was obviously singing the praises of it I was disappointed to read some lukewarm reviews a couple of months later.

Agree with John on the John Cooper Works kit for the Cooper. IMHO (just my thoughts remember) it simply ain't worth having. Spoke with a guy in Ireland (ex-rally driver and time served mechanic) who was given one to play with for a month or so. Told me it was one of the poorest modifications he had come across in all his years of driving, not at all well developed and full of 'holes', as he put it.

The search facility on MINI2 is a great resource for anyone who is looking for information on mods, etc. Also puts you in touch with people who have already modded there cars and can give you their opinions.

At the moment there really doesn't seem to be much of an answer :(, not that I've been able to find anyway.

I suppose there's always NOS ;):clown:

Oh, and Elfman. 170bhp out of a 106 Gti :eek:, yer sick man... sick I tell you ;)

KenL
12th November 2003, 05:16 PM
People on MINI2 have been mentioning that the current 5 speed box in the Cooper/ONE may already be near it's power limit (they had to fit a six-speed in the ONE-D because of the higher torque) so I'd be a bit wary of going for a 170HP conversion in case your box blows and you end up in a warranty nightmare. It could be cheaper to buy an S in the long run.

GAJ
12th November 2003, 05:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

......and spoke to the guy from NMS......

What does he know about cars, he's a poncy graphic designer!!

He disnae ken his spanners from his spinach!!;););)

:clown::clown::clown:

ELFMAN
12th November 2003, 10:20 PM
Final (almost) thought. Good point Re. Gearbox, Ken. Maybe this is why ALL 'boxes in ONE & COOPER (they'll still be 5-Speed) will be sourced from GETRAG (as 'S'/Diesel) from '04 onwards, or so I read somewhere.

Maybe the 'Pentagon' engine (always a price-driven compromise, let's be honest) just doesn't respond well to "conventional" tuning, which is why they slapped a blower on it. Also forced induction - "MINI MANIA" (www.minimania.com) in the States do a 200bhp TURBO conversion for the COOPER ($5,495 incl.S/steel Manifold, Injectors, Intercooler etc) which (quote) "will bolt on to a stock MINI with no major modifications in 12-13hrs..." Not if I tried to fit it...12-13 months more like, and God knows what that would do to the 'box and other associated drivetrain components...Maybe the 'TLC' would be a problem.(joke!)

My conclusion from our evidence is that probably (until somebody proves otherwise) the only way to get a "Hot Hatch fast" reliable COOPER is to get the 'S'. So be happy with your COOP or "move on up". Also read that a new engine deal with BMW/Peugeot was a possibility. 206GTI 180 in a COOPER?
Honda V-Tecs can be fitted in classic Minis.. so how's about a 2 litre 'Type R' new COOPER! Looking bog standard of course...Yo! Spanner Time, Get Down...

By the way, I do Graphics too - we ain't "poncy" though, community stuff - dead butch. Sounds like a deceased bulldog....