PDA

View Full Version : 10 second hypothetical...

Big Col
24th April 2006, 09:36 PM
Say you were thinking about getting a convertible that wasn't a MINI but it was in about that prie range...what would you get? I'm struggling to think of alternatives.

YES VB I KNOW there's the MX5! I just couldn't bring myself to do it! ;)

Scottie
24th April 2006, 09:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Say you were thinking about getting a convertible that wasn't a MINI but it was in about that prie range...what would you get? I'm struggling to think of alternatives.

YES VB I KNOW there's the MX5! I just couldn't bring myself to do it! ;)

what about a nice pink or powder blue Nissan Micra.;):p:blackeye::kiss:

Scottie
24th April 2006, 09:47 PM
what about a Used Sabb Convertible. Now that would be comfy for your long trips to Aberdeen.

euan
24th April 2006, 09:49 PM
MR2 for me, cracking wee car and looks great in black.

Could you not get a used S2000 for the same money? If a bit more power is in order :)

The Dogfather
24th April 2006, 11:08 PM
I test drove the MR2, nice car although interior was a bit low rent with cheap looking seats, not sure how much support they'd give either. The steering lack the feel of the MX5 and the mid-engine layout was a bit twitchy in the wet. No boot or luggage space at all though :(

Used Saab 9-3, maybe an older high mileage A4, 3 year old TT, Volvo C70, BMW 3 Series, Z3, 3-4 year old SLK are all around the 16k mark.

You won't fit into an MK2 MX5 anyway, but you might be able to afford a nearly new MK3 MX5. That would be my choice it's the best pound for pound roadster there is.

The Dogfather
24th April 2006, 11:12 PM
A 1999 Boxster and 52 plate S2000 come in at 16k as well.

The Dogfather
24th April 2006, 11:21 PM
Smart Brabus Roadster and VW Beetle :question:

Big Col
24th April 2006, 11:32 PM
I don't think I'd fit in the smart, the beetle looks like it has a couch on the back when the hood's down. I never even thought about a boxster! I think it's kill my insurance. :(

Hmmmmmmmm....S2000....

The Dogfather
24th April 2006, 11:52 PM
Col, at least test drive the new MX5, gives you a benchmark :D

sleepyrascal
25th April 2006, 12:26 AM
go for the CLK! Lovely car!

Scottie
25th April 2006, 12:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

womans car;):p

Scottie
25th April 2006, 12:34 AM
one of my mates has just got a X reg TT and she loves it.:cool:

Burple
25th April 2006, 12:42 AM
quote:
what about a nice pink or powder blue Nissan Micra.;):p:blackeye::kiss:

We saw a pink one of these on the Motorway on the way down to Oxford :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sleepyrascal
25th April 2006, 01:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

womans car;):p

WOMANS CAR??????? i think i want to be a woman!!:D

http://www.amg-owners-club.org/forumpic/clkdtm-01.jpg

no, this is a womans car!!:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/images/motoring-mini.jpg

Craig
25th April 2006, 01:38 AM
aye and it was boggin' :(:(

Mon the fish
25th April 2006, 02:32 AM
I'm 6'4 and the only 2 roadsters I fit in comfortably are the Boxster (still going for silly money, even with 40k+ miles), and the S2000. I keep giong home past the Honda garage, got a lovely black one outside sometimes :D

sh@z
25th April 2006, 05:30 AM
S2000's are indeed very good drivers cars, but they are quite 'hardcore', more so than a boxter, mx-5, etc ... take one out for a spin.

Also bear in mind, they are nearing the end of their life, as in they will no doubt be replaced soon and the interior can feel quite dated.

Anyway good luck with whatever you choose to go for

Big Col
25th April 2006, 07:06 AM
Fur Fcuk sake I'm never asking you lot again!!!!!!!!!!!!

1)Fi your mates are bound to all have more money than god so they can afford the top spec TT! ;)
2)Sleepy we all KNEW you wanted to be a woman but how is that relevant to my question:question:
3)That CLK looks awesome!
4)Iain you just HAD to wade in and buggar it all up with an excellent deal! (Finally!!!)
5)BOB you're a swine for trading in such an excellent Cooper ragtop! (I KNOW you're on here! Go on say something!!!!!) :)
6)Wul you're a jobbie! (Never let a list end without saying that everyone!)
7)BS how're you're blistered tootsies? <sniggers> Footjoys they call them! :D

Mini Me
25th April 2006, 07:21 AM

4)Iain you just HAD to wade in and buggar it all up with an excellent deal! (Finally!!!)

:D:evil::D:evil::D:evil::D:evil::D:evil::D:evil::D :evil:

sh@z
25th April 2006, 11:02 AM
Oh no u didnt go for a mini convertible did you....

Next you'll have YMCA playing through the cd player...

Damnit where are all the trollers to put Big Col right.

Big Col
25th April 2006, 02:59 PM
I've not went for it just yet but it's creeping ever closer! :)

Scottie
25th April 2006, 04:53 PM

1)Fi your mates are bound to all have more money than god so they can afford the top spec TT! ;)

It's a X reg.???;):p

Big Col
25th April 2006, 05:13 PM
Bet it's gold plated or summat though! ;)

sh@z
25th April 2006, 10:11 PM
Col, mini convertible and a males dont really... mix i think is the word. Unless you want people askin questions

Burple
25th April 2006, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Col, mini convertible and a males dont really... mix i think is the word. Unless you want people askin questions

Sounds to me like there's a bit of denial going on here.. ;)
All this chat of really 'manly' cars like getting a shot of an SLR, and buying an RX8... maybe you're trying too hard..

Now if I didn't know yer, I'd maybe think you were a wee bit 'confused' ;)

Don't be ashamed young man... :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D
http://www.gaymart.com/shoppp/4full/magnet3.jpg

Big Col
25th April 2006, 11:15 PM
Thankfully I'm comfortable enough with my hetrosexuality that I don't care if people ask questions and I don't have to try to compensate for anything. :D

sh@z
26th April 2006, 01:05 AM
I'm most definately not confused and not trying to make up for anything ;). I was trying to give an unbiased view. As a convertible the s2000 is better than the MINI as a drivers car, and in terms of looks (MINI convertible doesn't do it for me sorry, and looks a bit girly)

Shot of SLR and getting a RX8 aren't examples of trying too hard, shot of an SLR was a result of knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time... just like you euan.... up big cols **** at the opportune moment ;) (with the aid of some ladders, of course)

And col, get whatever you like, im just trying to help you with a bit of non-mini perspective (much to minime's anger since he wants his bonus this month!!)

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 01:13 AM
Col, get the MINI convertible but it makes my MX5 look butch :D

Big Gordy
26th April 2006, 02:24 AM
Sorry Col I have to agree with vidal and sh@z on this one:blackeye: I think the convertible mini looks a bit pram..ish with the hood down:dead: IMHO. S2000 is a fantastic motor:D RX8 is quite nice but has an expensive drink habit (oil and fuel;)) What about a 350Z:question: Look awsome...rear wheel drive V6....Tiff, Jason and Wee Vicky all loved it around Anglsey(spelling..!!) But like everything else in this world my young apprentice its all down to personal taste and how much money you got:D;) To think all those years ago you nearly bought a Beetle for gods sake....:evil:;) :p:D:approve:

Scottie
26th April 2006, 03:56 AM
well can I just say I DISAGREE what makes a car a "Womans" car or a "MANS" car. anyway.???

My better half Allan drove the Cabrio no bother.

As long as it's not pink and you don't have a "little miss" smelly hanging from the rear view. It's a "any person car":D;)

Big Col
26th April 2006, 04:21 AM
I love the S2000 but they're a little too expensive to buy up front, my insurance would shoot up and it'd drink far more petrol on the long miles all the way up to Abz. I personally don't like the RX8 (apart from the doors, they're cool!) and all of the same statements made about the S2000 would apply. The SLR is WAY outside of my budget as well. I'm not a huge fan of the MX5 as the new one doesn't look that good and I've never really been a fan of the older ones. They're also quite small I think but I still think I'd fit. The 350Z would be my choice of car right now as I think they look amazing but they're definetly outside of my budget just now. Once again all of the same statements about the insurance and the petrol consumption can also be said about it. Remember I'm looking for a convertible that's more economical than me 'S. I also like the way the convertible mini looks. :)

Thanks very much for everyone's comments though they are appreciated. They've also got me thinking...the better halfs brother has a Eunos roadster actually...wonder if I can talk him into giving me a shot of it. What is the difference between a Eunos roadster and an MX5 anyway???

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 04:26 AM
Eunos is an jap import MX5, no real difference just cheaper and sometimes harder to insure :D I'd be very surprised if you'd fit in it though. They are very different to drive compared with a MINI lower, a bit cramped and the steering can feel a bit light until you're used to it. You'll either love it or hate it :)

Big Col
26th April 2006, 04:29 AM
I do fit in them mate. With room to spare actually...I think. I only sat in it when it was stationary. I'm kinda luck that whilst I'm tall I'm kinda equally split between leg length and body length so I fit in almost every car. Apart from a VX220 I'd imagine! :)

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 04:31 AM
I struggled with a VX220, couldn't get my fat arse through the door :D

Big Col
26th April 2006, 04:33 AM
It's that big ruddy sill you've got to step over that makes getting in tricky.

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 04:33 AM
If you wanna try the MX5 why not pop out to Turra one evening for a brew, you can have a shot of mine:D

Big Col
26th April 2006, 04:35 AM
Where the fek is Turra???

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 04:36 AM
Turriff, about 30 miles north of Aberdeen on the A947.

Big Col
26th April 2006, 04:40 AM
Ahhhh right. I've heard of Turrif. :)

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 04:41 AM
Ahhhh right. I've heard of Turrif. :)

You have <blinks in disbelief>

Big Col
26th April 2006, 04:46 AM
Yeah. As in "Don't go to Turrif! It's full of English hairdressers!!!" ;)

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah. As in "Don't go to Turrif! It's full of English hairdressers!!!" ;)

Whttp://reservationsbvi.com/Thumbnails/newB0000BUX6P.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
;);):evil::D

Big Gordy
26th April 2006, 05:16 AM
quote:so I fit in almost every car. Apart from a VX220 I'd imagine!
I managed to fit in the VX220 turbo OK it was when I tried to get in Smart's wee sportster thing that I ran into difficulty:I :p:D:approve:

Burple
26th April 2006, 05:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

I'm most definately not confused and not trying to make up for anything ;). I was trying to give an unbiased view. As a convertible the s2000 is better than the MINI as a drivers car, and in terms of looks (MINI convertible doesn't do it for me sorry, and looks a bit girly)

Shot of SLR and getting a RX8 aren't examples of trying too hard, shot of an SLR was a result of knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time... just like you euan.... up big cols **** at the opportune moment ;) (with the aid of some ladders, of course)

And col, get whatever you like, im just trying to help you with a bit of non-mini perspective (much to minime's anger since he wants his bonus this month!!)

Oooh, that was too easy :p:p:p:p

Big Col
26th April 2006, 04:40 PM
Oooooh! Have Audi just came in with a last minute show stopper on a ragtop TT quattro??? :D

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 04:47 PM
Oooooh! Have Audi just came in with a last minute show stopper on a ragtop TT quattro??? :D

As camp as a row of tents :D BTW fuel economy will be hideous in the quattro.

Big Col
26th April 2006, 05:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
As camp as a row of tents :D

<Watches as the strange MX5 driving man throws a huge boulder through one of the windows in his glass abode.>:)

BTW fuel economy will be hideous in the quattro.

You're right about the fuel economy though. :(

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 05:44 PM
An MX5 is a 6 on the campometer but both the TT and the MINI rate a 9. Think Philip Schofield compared to Graham Norton :D

Big Col
26th April 2006, 06:01 PM
Only a guy that drives an MX5 would quote Phillip Schofield when talking about cars.

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 06:24 PM
Only a guy that drives an MX5 would quote Phillip Schofield when talking about cars.

Eh? I was looking for examples of degrees of camp. I could have easily used LnL instead of Philip Schofield :D

Burple
26th April 2006, 06:26 PM

Eh? I was looking for examples of degrees of camp. I could have easily used LnL instead of Philip Schofield :D

b!tch :p

The Dogfather
26th April 2006, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
b!tch :p

Perfect come back,:D:D:D:D:D