PDA

View Full Version : JCW Sound Kit / Insurance

Scottie
24th April 2006, 07:13 PM
folks with the JCW sound kit fitted.

Who are you insured through and how much did you pay.

Just so I know who best to go to and don't have the hassle of them not knowing what I am on about.

Fi.

Craig
24th April 2006, 08:37 PM
I'm with MINI Insurance, came in around about the £400 mark with them knowing about the other changes...

Lesley12 got hers much cheaper, but then she would as she is female... ;)

ianking
24th April 2006, 08:45 PM
Ive just ordered my sound kit this morning from Menzies. Should i tell my insurance (direct line) after i have it fitted.

Gismo
24th April 2006, 08:53 PM
You need to tell your insurance before you pick the car back up, or, if you do have an accident direct line will quite rightly not pay out :p
Though whether they'll know what is involved in the upgrade will be arguable.
Any increase in BHP will require some kind of levy

Scottie
24th April 2006, 09:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

I'm with MINI Insurance, came in around about the £400 mark with them knowing about the other changes...

Lesley12 got hers much cheaper, but then she would as she is female... ;)

OK will try them got my JCW Mini insured through them but £400 alot maybe as I'm a wee bit older than you Craig.;):p I'll get it a bit cheaper

Sweeney
24th April 2006, 09:21 PM
ianking: you must tell your insurance, you might find they won't cover you at all, ive noticed some people on mini2mini have had to switch companies because of that...

my insurance was fine about it, they didn't have a clue what the kit was so i had to tell them the parts etc and what effect they had and they just said it was fine and there wouldn't be any extra cost... although its on my dads policy which has astons, ferraris and a bmw on it so the fact its "only" a mini might have affected their policy on charging :P

Big Col
24th April 2006, 09:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
I'm a wee bit older than you Craig.;):p

Must...resist...smart...arse...comment!!!!! :D

Scottie
24th April 2006, 09:44 PM
:D Ok got quote. £328.65 for Parklane fitted with JCW sound Kit and colour coded aero kit.:cool::cool:

Was a bit like pulling teeth as Mini Insurance have never heard of a JCW sound kit. Jeez.

See being a wee bit older helps sometimes or maybe my post code did.:I;):p

Craig
24th April 2006, 10:47 PM
they hadn't a clue when I phoned them anyway, but the guy I spoke to did not have a great grasp of the english language which didn't help...;)

Mine is done as and exhaust, air filter/induction and ECU remap with a power increase of less than 10%.

It's amazing how a company can put out a product and they insurance side of it knows NOTHING about the product. One hand not talking to the other.........:disapprove:

The Dogfather
24th April 2006, 10:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

they hadn't a clue when I phoned them anyway, but the guy I spoke to did not have a great grasp of the english language which didn't help...;)

Was he from Aberdeen? :eek:

markyc
25th April 2006, 01:25 AM
I'm thinking about getting the JCW air filter/induction kit fitted since it's just been released do you think there would by an increase in insurance for that :question::question::D;)

Gismo
25th April 2006, 01:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by markyc
I'm thinking about getting the JCW air filter/induction kit fitted since it's just been released do you think there would by an increase in insurance for that :question::question::D;)
Yes, it's a performance enhancement therefore must be claimed, if you advise them and they decide to increase your premium then at least you know you're covered, but, if you don't advise them and you have anaccident they will not pay out

N12 JLK
25th April 2006, 02:52 AM
Fiona, got my insurance with the AA. They had to phone around a bit, but got it for £350.

No one I phoned had a clue what I was on about:(. Also, check with them that the modifications themselves are covered. A few places (Admiral, Diamond etc.) gave me an excellent prive (under£300) but they would only put the car back to standard Cooper Chilli pack specifcation.

Craig, Mini insurance probably have not much to do with Mini. They are dealt with by UK insurance. It will be one office doing insurance on behalf of all sorts of companies.

Heather
25th April 2006, 08:19 PM
I had the same problem with MINI insurance. I agree with Craig they should not sell themselves as being specifically for MINI's when they have no idea what a dealer fit option is. Mines came in at 320 from them as is classed the same as Craigs.

ianking
26th April 2006, 04:55 AM
Just called direct line about my sound kit. The lass on the phone told me i had £1000 cover for a stereo replacement. After a bit of confusing her with technical talk and her checking her system and conferring with her boss the policy amount has not changed which is good.

Scottie
26th April 2006, 05:00 AM
well I'm taking advantage of the seven days free insurance that MINI are offering just now.