PDA

View Full Version : my latest idea !!!!

Scottie
20th April 2006, 04:40 AM
As you know I've sold me black mini now thinking about selling my 1,er and Allan's Kia. However can not find anything suitable to replace with.

SO

had a brain wave tonight. A Mini One D couple questions.:eek: or maybe even a Mini One Seven.??

what is the mpg.??? is it smooth or rough sounding???? how easy are they to get??? I know the performance won't be awesome but can jump into my JCW for that.

What better car to get than a Mini.

what are the down sides to a Mini Diesel.??

Mini Me
20th April 2006, 05:00 AM
i feel a migraine comming on !!! :p

Scottie
20th April 2006, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

you'd be right then.;):p

Mini Me
20th April 2006, 05:19 AM
jeysus......thot it was the ZM Roadster :question:

Scottie
20th April 2006, 05:39 AM

jeysus......thot it was the ZM Roadster :question:

with my insider knowledge ;) on what is to come in the next few months

defo defo want something with resonable mpg that a ZM ain't got.

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 05:43 AM
Ah, the 335d:question:

sh@z
20th April 2006, 05:46 AM
Driven the 535d, what a monster :D ... if i was gonna get a diesel it'd have to be that! Are they coming out with a 335d? (that's gonna be even more nuts)

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 05:47 AM
The MINI One D is slow, the cooper will give you 30 - 35mpg.

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 05:50 AM
Taken from a webpage>

If you cant quite stretch to starting prices for this variant of £28,460, a 325i petrol model is also available. Expect to see other petrol units introduced as the months go on. Plus theres an improved 330d, a storming 335d and a 340bhp turbocharged 330Ti model to look forward to. When we eventually get the fire-breathing M3 version, expect it to feature a 400bhp 4.0-litre V8. Bigger, quicker, cleaner and more economical the 3-Series looks set to continue its astounding success. The styling looks spot on and if BMW can continue to maintain the prestige image balanced against huge sales, the E90 3-Series will be just the latest model to promotional sleight of hand. Its all a question of image and perception.

So quite a lot on the way :D

Scottie
20th April 2006, 06:10 AM
finally made my mind up it is going to be the ParkLane. Always wanted one:cool:

markyc
20th April 2006, 06:37 AM
Good choice Fi :approve::approve::D Park Lane is a wee cracker :D;):D

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 06:49 AM
Fi - Park Lane is a great looking car, nice interior. So is that it or have you got your eye on summat else as well ;)

Scottie
20th April 2006, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Fi - Park Lane is a great looking car, nice interior. So is that it or have you got your eye on summat else as well ;)

nope that it is. Had my fill of road tax, insurance and running five cars. More than happy to have the Parklane as my every day car.

The mini seems to be the only car I can hang to for a couple of years.

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 07:08 AM
So what cars are you going to have left once the PL arrives:question:

Scottie
20th April 2006, 07:22 AM

So what cars are you going to have left once the PL arrives:question:

got our X5 Silver JCW and Parklane.

only problem we have is our reg numbers to manu and not enough cars.

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 07:56 AM
Can't you hold on to them?

Craig
20th April 2006, 04:04 PM
yep, you can put them on a "retention certificate". It cost £105 to do initially (£80 for the transfer and £25 for the cert) then every year you don't assign it it will cost you another £25 for every registration number to make sure you keep it..

:D

Wul
20th April 2006, 04:48 PM
it would be cheaper to tranfer them to 2 scrappers and keep them tucked away up by Fi - no?

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 05:00 PM
Fee - I was thinking about the Park Lane last night, its not that different from the JCW i.e. it's another MINI (nowt wrong with that, I know). However, wouldn't you be happier with something completely different?

Like a Caterham, MX5 or other roadster, all very different from a MINI. Just playing devil's advocate BTW:D

Scottie
20th April 2006, 05:16 PM

Fee - I was thinking about the Park Lane last night, its not that different from the JCW i.e. it's another MINI (nowt wrong with that, I know). However, wouldn't you be happier with something completely different?

Like a Caterham, MX5 or other roadster, all very different from a MINI. Just playing devil's advocate BTW:D

I know what you are saying but if I look at all the other cars on the road half of them really are way to expensive and the other half I just would not buy. I really liked the MX5 but on the one I test drove I noticed how you felt the shudder from the front steering when you when over a rough patch on the road and I just knew that would bug me about the car after a while.

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 05:30 PM
That's normal for rag tops, scuttle shake I think its called, did you not get that from the red mini you had?

I don't mind it all part of the drama of owning a roadster. Once you get used to it, you expect it and it's just part of the character of the car. I've decided one thing, there'll always be an MX5 on my driveway. The Omega will be going next for a diesel cooper traveller, but the MX5 will be staying long term.

BTW have you heard a MX5 with a air filter? God what a sound :D

Just a footnote the Mark2 MX5 is one of the most reliable cars on the road, and if the Mk3 is built the same then no little annoying faults like the 1 series.

Wul
20th April 2006, 06:14 PM
BTW have you heard a MX5 with a air filter? God what a sound :D

Crikey - no wonder the engines don't last long! so they come from the factory with a straight through intake with no filter!! eek! :evil::approve:

AeroJonny
20th April 2006, 07:11 PM
how many plates have u got? you could get a couple of friends or relatives to put them on their cars for you, easy peasy, £25 saved per plate. Just an idea

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
Crikey - no wonder the engines don't last long! so they come from the factory with a straight through intake with no filter!! eek! :evil::approve:

:evil::D

Crombers
20th April 2006, 08:56 PM
I've decided one thing, there'll always be an MX5 on my driveway.

the MX5 will be staying long term.

Noted ;)

lightbody
20th April 2006, 10:00 PM
I've owned an MX-5 for 18 months, and read just about every roadtest ever written for them - and shuddering from the front is never mentioned!! What size of wheels did it have? MX-5 rides and handles best on 15" wheels MAX. If I think of shuddering, I think of my current MINI... i'm amazed I have any fillings left... Scuttle shake is minimal (unlike a convertible which wasn't designed to be open from the outset).

Scottie
20th April 2006, 10:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

I've owned an MX-5 for 18 months, and read just about every roadtest ever written for them - and shuddering from the front is never mentioned!! What size of wheels did it have? MX-5 rides and handles best on 15" wheels MAX. If I think of shuddering, I think of my current MINI... i'm amazed I have any fillings left... Scuttle shake is minimal (unlike a convertible which wasn't designed to be open from the outset).

well best I can describe by shudder I mean under normal driving conditions the steering wheel feels like normal. But if you go over a small pot hole or rut in the road kind thing you can feel the steering wobble. In fact it reminds me of my Classic Triumph GT6 it had the exact same characteristics.

The Dogfather
20th April 2006, 11:44 PM
I think that's called feedback, the mini does it as well ;)

AeroJonny
21st April 2006, 07:37 AM
Have you thought about a lotus exige? My frieand has one and it's fantastic!!! He has all the performance he could wish for, with the grip and stopping power to match. thanks to the luvverly twin cam engine he also gets about 40mpg from glasgow to edinburgh, which is around about what I get in my one if not more...

he had an elise s1 with a hardtop before and the exige s2 is much more solid and is an awesome car, I cant get the smile off my face after a burn in it.

Gismo
21st April 2006, 07:03 PM
Ah yes the Exige, truly a fantastic looking car :p

The Dogfather
21st April 2006, 07:35 PM
Lot of Trouble Usually Serious

Perhaps the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo might be a less risky option. We looked at them before plumping for the MX5. BTW they are neither comfortable nor quiet, huge amounts of road noise but a lot quieter engine than the Lotus.

Also Allan might struggle to get in/out, actually everone struggles, it's like climbing in to a postbox. Also they are very very very skittish, you put the power down in the wrong place and it'll be in the trees in no time :eek:. I would imagine the Lotus is the same.

Yes it's a Vauxhall, but there's nothing else like it on the road (except the lotuses) ;). Only certain Vauxhall garages have the trained personnel but parts should be fairly cheap as it's the same engine thats in the Vectra/Astra. They don't make them anymore but you can still pick up a delivery mileage one for about £23k 05 reg.

This car would scare Ferraris and return 30mpg no problem. Also this car will become a classic guaranted.

Try this a £25k 000041 miles :)
http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/is/remotemanaged/AETA84643/AETV575977_1b.jpg

euan
21st April 2006, 09:37 PM
Exige is a weapon of a car, but I couldn't live with either it or the VX220. Great as a toy, but at 20K it's a very expensive toy!

I test drove an elise before i got my S, loved it but knew I'd never convince the missus. To be quite honest, the practical side of my head wasn't convinced either!

X30YES
21st April 2006, 10:33 PM

Margine you mean:D:D

The Dogfather
21st April 2006, 10:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Exige is a weapon of a car, but I couldn't live with either it or the VX220. Great as a toy, but at 20K it's a very expensive toy!

I test drove an elise before i got my S, loved it but knew I'd never convince the missus. To be quite honest, the practical side of my head wasn't convinced either!

Good second car though:question::D

euan
22nd April 2006, 12:51 AM

quote:Originally posted by euan

Good second car though:question::D

If I can ever afford it, yes!

Actually, my second car would always be a Porsche 356 if I ever get the money. A replica would do until I can get the real deal!

AeroJonny
24th April 2006, 12:10 AM
the exige isnt skitty at all, it's got bags of grip. It might be a prob in an elise but the exige is solid.

The Dogfather
24th April 2006, 12:43 AM
Johnny, can't see how the Exige can be anything different from the VX220 Turbo, it's also very lightweight car with a fair bit of power and no traction control.

In the wet or on greasy or dusty roads it could be easy to unstick the rear wheels at lower speeds before the aerobits have chance to poduce the down force. Not saying it's not a amazing drivers car but on the limit, which would be a lot higher than most cars, it would be a handful that's all.

Smitty
24th April 2006, 12:52 AM

Johnny, can't see how the Exige can be anything different from the VX220 Turbo, it's also very lightweight car with a fair bit of power and no traction control.

One word......ROOF!!:D

With the exige being a permanent hard top, body rigidy is going to be much better than the VX220, therefore your handling, body roll etc is going to be better.

Saying that, both are cracking cars.....one of each please:approve:

Sweeney
24th April 2006, 01:07 AM
300bhp ariel atom :P

tear the face off you :)

The Dogfather
24th April 2006, 04:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

300bhp ariel atom :P

tear the face off you :)

Don't doubt it, but that's in a straight line not on the corners. A lightweight powerful mid-engined car with a shortish wheelbase without traction is going to be tricky in poor conditions.

Sticking a roof on it won't change the basic laws of physics.