PDA

View Full Version : ipod/itunes help

Scottie
19th April 2006, 03:52 AM
got a new nano 4gb ipod. uploaded itune with the CD on my small laptop that has not had itunes loaded on it before.

However when I try to update the ipod with some music I get this message

"Some of the songs in the itunes music libary, including song **** were not copied to fi ipod because you are not authorized to play them on this computer"

what do I need to do to get it to work.?? HELP!!!

Wul
19th April 2006, 05:00 AM
Fi - that sounds like music you've bought off itunes rather than ripped from CD - the licensing protection means you can only play them on the computer they were downloaded onto originally and the ipod they were syncd to - after that they won't burn to disc, load to another pc or ipod i'm afraid!

GAJ
19th April 2006, 05:14 AM
Sorry Wul, that's not right. You can authorize up to 5 computers at a time to play songs downloaded from iTunes. You can load them onto as many iPods as you like, I can't remember the situation regarding burning to CD but i don't think there is a limit there either but i may be wrong.
However if this was the issue the computer would ask you to enter your iTunes ID and password. Try playing one of those songs on the computer, enter your ID and password, if asked, and see if this solves the problem.

The Dogfather
19th April 2006, 05:18 AM
Gaj is spot on :D

Scottie
19th April 2006, 05:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Sorry Wul, that's not right. You can authorize up to 5 computers at a time to play songs downloaded from iTunes. You can load them onto as many iPods as you like, I can't remember the situation regarding burning to CD but i don't think there is a limit there either but i may be wrong.
However if this was the issue the computer would ask you to enter your iTunes ID and password. Try playing one of those songs on the computer, enter your ID and password, if asked, and see if this solves the problem.

Gaj done that and it is now working great. Thanks very much:cool::D

don't know why I didn't think to do that.:I

Wul
19th April 2006, 05:45 AM
Well I was reasonably close!:I

<sassinfrassinipods>;)

Mark R
19th April 2006, 08:10 AM
As far as burning purchased songs onto CD you can burn a playlist onto a CD seven times. After that you must alter the playlist. Never burned that many copies of one playlist myself but I believe simply switching one track around in the order is enough to restart the counter after seven times.

In case anyone wonders, here are the exact terms of service taken from Apple.com

You shall be authorized to use the Products on five Apple-authorized devices at any time.

You shall be entitled to export, burn (if applicable) or copy Products solely for personal, noncommercial use. You shall not be entitled to burn Video Products.

You shall be authorized to burn an audio playlist up to seven times.

You shall be able to store Products from up to five different Accounts on certain devices, such as an iPod, at a time.