PDA

View Full Version : AUTO PADELS REMOVAL

ianking
17th April 2006, 09:36 PM
I was going to get a used 3 spoke with button wheel for my car to replace its standard 3 spoke without buttons wheel. Only thing is that the wheel i was going to buy has the automatic change padels on it. Can these be removed and if so will i be able to simply plug in the wheel and get the use of the multi function doo dahs.
Hope someone can help.
Ian

Craig
17th April 2006, 10:44 PM
Ian, if you are getting rid of your 3 spoke steering wheel, let me know as I know a man in need of one.... ;)

Cheers

ianking
17th April 2006, 11:11 PM
You will get first offer Craig. Just want to find out if the wheel I have been offered will be able to have the padels removed before I commit to purchasing it.

AndyP & Lenore
17th April 2006, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

I was going to get a used 3 spoke with button wheel for my car to replace its standard 3 spoke without buttons wheel. Only thing is that the wheel i was going to buy has the automatic change padels on it. Can these be removed and if so will i be able to simply plug in the wheel and get the use of the multi function doo dahs.
Hope someone can help.
Ian

See, you're looking at this from the wrong direction. What you should be doing is looking at how you can change the manual gearbox for an automatic one, that way you can make the most of those nice shiny paddle shifters:D:D;)

ianking
17th April 2006, 11:33 PM
Andy

Could you look at the back of your wheel and see if the padels look like they could be removed. I would very much appreciate your help.
Ian

AndyP & Lenore
17th April 2006, 11:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

Andy

Could you look at the back of your wheel and see if the padels look like they could be removed. I would very much appreciate your help.
Ian

I'll have a wee looky tomorrow morning and let you know.

A.

Craig
18th April 2006, 12:48 AM
ian, just spoke to the guy looking for the wheel and he no longer wants it, due to the fact that you need to buy a new air bag harness type thingy for about £250 !! :eek::eek:

thanks anyway

Craig :D

AndyP & Lenore
20th April 2006, 11:42 PM
Ian,

I was supposed to post about this a couple of days ago, but keep forgetting. I see from another thread you've got yerself a MFSW anyway, but thought I'd post my observations.

The paddles look like they will probably come off. Although there's no sign of any screws or bolt holes visible. Once the steering wheel is removed from the column, I suspect there will be a way of getting to whatever is holding it onto the column.

However, it is gonna leave a noticeable gap, which will (IMHO) look pretty unsightly.

Sorry I was late with this.

Andrew