PDA

View Full Version : So what do we all do then?

The Dogfather
17th April 2006, 06:37 PM
Hasn't been done for ages, so what do you do for a living :question:

I'm a civil servant, I'm involved with the approval of Offshore Oil/Gas Installation Decommissioning plans.

Here's a list of what people on NMS do for a living :D

IT - 7
Energy (including oil and gas) - 4
Education (some IT peeps could have been included in this one) - 4
Central/Local Government - 4
Students - 4
Health and Social Care - 3
Sales and Marketing - 3
Entertainment - 2 (Andy P AND Lenore)
Transport - 1
Small Business - 1
Finance - 1
Publishing - 1
Telecommunications - 1
Construction - 1

Craig
17th April 2006, 06:42 PM
maintain, install, decommission, support and just about anything to do with I.T/Networks for a local law company :approve:

Burple
17th April 2006, 07:06 PM
IT stuff - support of all technology-assisted Lecture Theatres, and IT suites, also part-time Lecturer at the larger of the two Dundee Unis

:approve:

Smitty
17th April 2006, 07:11 PM
Student at Robert Gordon University, tax dodger, full time bum!!:approve::approve:

gill
17th April 2006, 07:30 PM
Admin assistant at our local secondary school, which has it's moments!!! Loveeeeely children...:eek:

GAJ
17th April 2006, 07:32 PM
I'm working for the Scottish Executive on a multi-agency data sharing framework called eCare - a system to allow the sharing of consented information between professionals such as doctors, nurses, social workers, teachers and the criminal justice system - currently with a particular focus on children who may be at risk.

Crombers
17th April 2006, 07:59 PM
As little as possible , in fact I,m about to be decommissioned :p;):D

Currently employed by Allied Domecq sh!t no it's Pernod now , based in Dumbarton working as a Market Planner (logistics) dealing with France & Portugal.

Will be leaving later on this year though :cool:

monkimagic
17th April 2006, 08:23 PM
I manage a residental project for children with profound physical and learning disabilities, also mange a team of staff who provide support for families and children who have difficulty in mainstream education.

And lastly an Advocate with in the health and social services, advocating for vunerable children & young adults.

Monki

Gismo
17th April 2006, 08:31 PM
Well as luck would have it, i've just got myself another job, i'm a completions and intervention supervisor in the oil and gas industry, i'll be working in Baku on a 28/28 rotation :cool:

sleepyrascal
17th April 2006, 08:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

I manage a residental project for children with profound physical and learning disabilities, also mange a team of staff who provide support for families and children who have difficulty in mainstream education.

And lastly an Advocate with in the health and social services, advocating for vunerable children & young adults.

Monki

Well im a student at RGU in Aberdeen but also work with a television production campany as a production assistant. Interestingly Monki, were currently producing a DVD for Mory council about kids who have difficulties integrating into mainstream education which is being coordinated by Donnie Macleod.

Craig
17th April 2006, 08:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

Monki

my wife works in mainstream schools doing something similar "Outreach Support Teacher", dealing with kids with learning and behaviour problems. There is no funding after the summer, so she will have to go back to mainstream classroom teaching...:( It's the kids I feel sorry for...:disapprove:

tree73
17th April 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm a biology and guidance teacher at Perth Grammar, and P/T Evening Lecturer at Perth College.

AndyP & Lenore
17th April 2006, 09:13 PM
We work in the movie exhibition business. I'd love to say we rub shoulders every day with major holywood stars, alas, we run a humble 4 screen family-run cinema in the Scottish Borders. Keeps us busy and out of trouble though.:D

Mark R
17th April 2006, 10:00 PM
I work in the civil service as an admin assistant.

N12 JLK
17th April 2006, 10:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

maintain, install, decommission, support and just about anything to do with I.T/Networks for a local law company :approve:

Is it with TJ Hooker:D

N12 JLK
17th April 2006, 10:37 PM
Jason
I work for a large independant wholesalers as a sales rep selling hand and power tools (no not those kind of tools Crombers, got to get that in before he does:)),

Lesley
Manager for Royal & Sun Alliance.

Kerr
School boy:evil:

feefabelle
17th April 2006, 11:02 PM
Im a primary teacher in Falkirk. Back to school tomorrow boohoo...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Burple
17th April 2006, 11:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

Is it with TJ Hooker:D

TJ Hooker??? Rowr.... Heather Locklear... ;);):D:p

Craig
17th April 2006, 11:11 PM
name the movie............

"there is a god and Heather Locklear be thy name!" :approve::approve:

Crombers
17th April 2006, 11:30 PM
[quote]Originally posted by lesley12

Jason
I work for a large independant wholesalers as a sales rep selling hand and power tools (no not those kind of tools Crombers, got to get that in before he does:)),

& may I say that as tools go Jason is yer man :p;):D

Sweeney
17th April 2006, 11:36 PM
i work in what you could call the "family business" doing vehicle and plant rental :)

Burple
17th April 2006, 11:37 PM

name the movie............

"there is a god and Heather Locklear be thy name!" :approve::approve:

That HAS to be Wayne's World!!!! (dunno which one tho, I'm guessing the first!)

Ssssshhaaaaaaa-wwwiiinnngg!!! :cool::D:D:D

Burple
17th April 2006, 11:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

i work in what you could call the "family business" doing vehicle and plant rental :)

:eek::eek::eek::blackeye::blackeye: 'family' business? :eek::eek::eek:

Now I know where to come if I need a pair of concrete wellies ;);):D

ianking
17th April 2006, 11:42 PM
I work for the Borders Cooncil as a technical surveyor in the Estates dept. Mainly do CAD stuff as well as going out and surveying buildings after alterations in order to update the drawings. Its my first job since finishing my 4 years at uni doing design engineering. Will do this for a couple of years to get experience before looking further. Used to valet cars when I was at uni.

Smurf
18th April 2006, 12:05 AM
I'm a Senior Cartographer and Project Leader for the Reference division of Harper Collins Publishers.

In 2 weeks time, I'll have been there 10 years....... :eek::eek::eek:
(No wonder I'm permanently tired.....)

:cool::D

AeroJonny
18th April 2006, 12:11 AM
I'm just about to finish my honours degree in physics...thank god! Next year I'm hopefully going to be doing an MSc in Actuarial Science. Does anyone know anybody who's an actuary cos I'm lookin to doing some work experience? If I don't get into the Maasters course, I'm going over to stay with my family in Oz for 6months.

duncan
18th April 2006, 12:14 AM
Work for British Rail ScotRail BRIS First Engineering Network Rail as a Signal & Telecom Technician.

Fault find and maintain signalling equipment that dates from 1880 through to 2000's on the line between Tay Bridge South to Montrose North.

minidriver#1
18th April 2006, 12:58 AM
I kill people.

AndyP & Lenore
18th April 2006, 01:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

I kill people.

Anyone in particular?;)

The Dogfather
18th April 2006, 01:50 AM
I think KJ has a list he's working on ;)

minidriver#1
18th April 2006, 01:52 AM
I'll kill anyone if the price is right.

To my day job...

I'm a standards compliant web developer for a government scientific organisation. I'm also a Flash Developer creating educational games for schools, my last project went out to every secondary and primary school in Scotland so if you have kids, the chances are they'll be playing with my games soon, that could be a good or bad thing :)

Spare time i run Scotlands second largest web based alternative music community promoting unsigned musicians across the country and further afield, i also put on local gigs and help others to do the same. It's a non-profit setup so i guess it constitutes as unpaid work.

I also design websites freelance. Sometimes the market for killing people gets a bit slow.

The Dogfather
18th April 2006, 01:55 AM

Sometimes the market for killing people gets a bit slow.

Perhaps I could help out with some 'clients':evil:;)

Heather
18th April 2006, 02:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Work for British Rail ScotRail BRIS First Engineering Network Rail as a Signal & Telecom Technician.

Lots of standing about with hands in pockets done in that line of work dunc (so i am told;))
I do nursey things to sick people in a large distict hospital and in primary care.:)

N12 JLK
18th April 2006, 03:51 AM
Could this be the topic with the most posts in the shortest period of time:question:

ny152
18th April 2006, 03:52 AM
I'm a quality manager for the tech support department of a broadband cable provider.

When I grow up I want to be an astronaut though :)

AndyP & Lenore
18th April 2006, 04:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Goldmini

I'm a quality manager for the tech support department of a broadband cable provider.

When I grow up I want to be an astronaut though :)

I notice you don't say "which" broadband cable supplier.:D:D

R U worried we're gonna PM you when we can't get your tech support dept on the phone.:D:D

Big Col
18th April 2006, 04:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Well as luck would have it, i've just got myself another job, i'm a completions and intervention supervisor in the oil and gas industry, i'll be working in Baku on a 28/28 rotation :cool:

You took the job?!?!?! Good man! You'll be able to buy many a cheap i-pod out there so you can sell me your current one for a decent price surely!???!? ;)

We still on for lunch? :)

Oooh...by the way...I'm an asset performance engineer based within Shell in Abz. :) (Anyone fancy a pint? It's lonely up here without my better half! :))

P.S
Lins (The better half) would like to point out that this is not an open invitation to any "Promiscuous bitches" on here that are prowling about! i.e. Do any straight married people fancy a beer? (Lins would also like to add "Or lesbians!" That'll teach me to post on here with her reading over my shoulder!):D;):clown::I

duncan
18th April 2006, 04:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

quote:Originally posted by duncan

Lots of standing about with hands in pockets done in that line of work dunc (so i am told;))

Standing about is SO 1990's. ;)

We've got a nice warm van with Fridge and Microwave for those moments when you're waiting about for access these days :D

N12 JLK
18th April 2006, 04:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers

Jason

& may I say that as tools go Jason is like a stanley yankee:p;):D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/lesley12/yankee.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
18th April 2006, 04:50 AM

OOoo. My Dad has/used to have one of them.

Scottie
18th April 2006, 05:34 AM
as little as possible. I HATE having to work and delegate as much as possible to my staff.:D

The Dogfather
18th April 2006, 05:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
P.S
Lins (The better half) would like to point out that this is not an open invitation to any "Promiscuous bitches" on here that are prowling about! i.e. Do any straight married people fancy a beer? (Lins would also like to add "Or lesbians!" That'll teach me to post on here with her reading over my shoulder!):D;):clown::I

Blimey going for a beer sounds very complicated:eek::evil:;)

Big Col
18th April 2006, 05:45 AM
Only if you're homosexual mate? You coming out? ;)

The Dogfather
18th April 2006, 06:02 AM
Coming out:question:

Can't mate I'm straight but not married, so that rules me out on you list :D

Coop
18th April 2006, 06:31 AM
I'm a debt collector for Scottish & Southern Energy ie the Hydro. So pay yer bills to me thanks....

Burple
18th April 2006, 08:04 AM

quote:Originally posted by crombers

Jason

& may I say that as tools go Jason is like a stanley yankee:p;):D

That's a BIG tool.. ;);):D:D:p:p:p

euan
18th April 2006, 04:39 PM
I work for the worlds largest IT services company (depending who's marketing you read ;) on whichever project will have me! Used to work on projects at the Scottish Exec, Scottish Parliament, drug companies, banks, and currently designing an IT system as part of a large governement agency which deals with anything rural. Spent the last part of last year designing and building one to deal with things like swans in fife.

minidriver#1
18th April 2006, 05:27 PM
it looks like most of us are in the IT industry. Thats interesting :)

The Dogfather
18th April 2006, 05:42 PM

I've created a list on the first page of who does what :D

euan
18th April 2006, 05:49 PM
Web forums...populated by people who work in IT....who'd have thought it? ;)

Scottie
18th April 2006, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I've created a list on the first page of who does what :D

VB. what heading am I under on the front page.????;)

first day back for me today and I'm sitting doing my staffs

performance contracts:(:disapprove:

The Dogfather
18th April 2006, 07:43 PM
SC - Energy, but I could have put you in Sales right?

Mini Me
18th April 2006, 07:49 PM
I sell the odd mini here and there:p(at the moment anyway):evil:

not enough tho..........:dead:
too many mouths to feed ;)

Burple
18th April 2006, 08:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime

I'm odd and I sell a mini here and there:p

Well we knew that... :p:p:p:p

Wul
18th April 2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Quantity Surveyor with Morris and Spottiswood, a construction, shopfitting, FM and social housing contractor. Currently working on 2 projects - Primark refurbishment of the old littlewoods in FunDundee and Temporary Outhousing for Dumbarton Sheriff Court.

And before Col chimes in............yes I am a brick counter!! :D:clown:

Mini Me
18th April 2006, 08:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
And before Col chimes in............yes I am a brick counter!! :D:clown:

Lol, who's gonny believe you can count !!!!!!:p:D;)

sh@z
18th April 2006, 08:38 PM
Tax dodging student here, but not for much longer.

The Bull
18th April 2006, 09:33 PM
Guess what? IT support for all the Angus primary schools! Any jobs going Euan?

Sheilz
18th April 2006, 10:13 PM
I'm a social worker in a Children and Families team in Aberdeen. My caseload ranges from babies to recalcitrant teenagers not very keen on school. Most important focus of my work is child protection where kids are at risk from all sorts of abuse and neglect. Its the type of work where the full impact of the drugs culture makes itself felt in the most horrible way. For the most part we try to support families through difficulty but also have to make the decision to remove the most vulnerable children when the invisible line is reached. It involves making a lot of decisions about people's lives and that responsibility can be quite scary. No two days at work are the same. Can be doing mundane stuff one minute and by three o clock be left with half a dozen wains to find homes for since mum or dad have either turned up at school out of their faces or nae bothered turning up at all. Downside is the paperwork - lots and lots of it, esp the legal stuff.

zimbo
18th April 2006, 10:39 PM
Well I build core units & stuff for ATMs.

The Dogfather
18th April 2006, 10:41 PM
Zimbo - I put you in as IT

List updated again!

Burple
18th April 2006, 11:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by picklehammer

Lol... which one?? At least 3 of us have replied so far.... ;);):D:D:p:p:p

Burple
18th April 2006, 11:21 PM
Here, Wul.. are you visiting the site?
Or commuting through?

You'll have to let me know when you'll be around so you can take me for a beer ;);):p:p:p

Wul
18th April 2006, 11:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Here, Wul.. are you visiting the site?
Or commuting through?
You'll have to let me know when you'll be around so you can take me for a beer ;);):p:p:p

Mixture of both Ewan - will keep you posted and you can buy me a beer in the student union!! :p:approve:

claire
19th April 2006, 04:34 AM
I'm a registered dental nurse, work for a new(ish) practice in Dunfermline, Fife. Just about to start college in May to train for a certificate in Dental Radiography.

S7JGW
19th April 2006, 06:15 AM
Im a student at Aberdeen Uni studying mechanical engineering,
also work part time driving busses for First in Aberdeen.
Jim

Laura
19th April 2006, 06:15 PM
I'm a book keeper (exciting stuff :blackeye:) dont spend all my time doing that though we have a property development company so I do autocad work, market research and development along with a load of other bits and pieces. Quite like it, Im not stuck doing the same stuff every day!

monkimagic
19th April 2006, 06:32 PM
quote:

first day back for me today and I'm sitting doing my staffs

performance contracts:(:disapprove:

No your not, you should be but you are not ! ;)

Mon the fish
19th April 2006, 08:02 PM
I'm a warehouse manager at the regional distribution centre for Lidl, the cheapo supermarket chain.

No laughing now :D

The Bull
20th April 2006, 09:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:Originally posted by picklehammer

Lol... which one?? At least 3 of us have replied so far.... ;);):D:D:p:p:p

I was meaning Euan with the username "Euan" but it could be directed at you all I suppose! :):D:cool:;):eightball::blackeye::eek::approve:

Bignorm
20th April 2006, 10:35 PM
well i work for menzies the best place for all your mini needs

alanm73
20th April 2006, 11:31 PM
I work for HBOS Group in Livingston and Fiona works for RBS in Edinburgh.

No Banker jokes please!!

Craig
21st April 2006, 01:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by alanm73

I work for HBOS Group in Livingston and Fiona works for RBS in Edinburgh.

No Banker jokes please!!

used to Work for HBOS (was BOS back then) in Sighthill at MSD (as it was then) before that in Stirling and Denny.... them were the days...NOT ;)

weefossy
21st April 2006, 05:21 AM
I'm a "travelling salesman":evil:"trust me";) and Sioban is a "Dragon" receptionist at our local surgery