PDA

View Full Version : WORKS 'S' MISFIRE TYPE STUMBLE THING...

redpoint rallying
14th April 2006, 01:23 AM
I have a question for Works 'S' owners. Does your car have this symptom.....? Its like a misfire but isnt, the car sort of 'stumbles' on acceleration. Mine has had various engine components changed to eradicate the symptom but it persists.

Any info from other owners would be most welcome.

Thanks

M

redpoint rallying
14th April 2006, 01:29 AM
For info, mine is an 03 model. I have read a variety of posts on MINI2 about this but wondered if anyone here has any further info.

Cheers

M

MartinSullivan
14th April 2006, 01:40 AM
<CoUGH> <SPLUTTER> REMAP <CoUGH> <SPLUTTER>

euan
14th April 2006, 02:05 AM
My S used to stumble a wee bit, was a known problem on Coopers and to a lesser extent the S. Would have thought it was all sorted by now though

Gismo
14th April 2006, 02:26 AM
My S had an horrendous stumble, but the Hartge and the BBR conversions sorted it :approve:

Neil and Lorna
14th April 2006, 03:20 AM
My Works s had a slight stumble but only when travelling at a steady speed with the cruise control on. It was more of a hiccup than a stumble.

My dealer found no problem.

I posted on here to see if anybody else had had the problem.

It was suggested that i use super unleaded or optimax.
I havn't had the problem since.

I know that wont help because i know from previous topics
you use Optimax.:D

Neil :D:D

redpoint rallying
14th April 2006, 04:11 AM
Martin,

tell me more about the re-map. I assume the usual source? Why does it appear that BMW are unable to rectify this when an aftermarket mapping technician possibly can?

M

Mini Me
14th April 2006, 04:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

<CoUGH> <SPLUTTER> REMAP <CoUGH> <SPLUTTER>

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

;)

The Dogfather
14th April 2006, 08:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying

Martin,

Why does it appear that BMW are unable to rectify this when an aftermarket mapping technician possibly can?

Brewery up piss organise can't a in:question:

Big Col
14th April 2006, 03:07 PM
RP my '03 coop used to stumble but my '05 'S doesn't.

redpoint rallying
14th April 2006, 05:27 PM
Are there are no owners here who have had this problem and had it resolved?

M

Big Col
14th April 2006, 05:34 PM
I don't think BMW ever admitted it was an existing problem M. I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong.

X30YES
14th April 2006, 06:19 PM
My last cooperS used to stutter like mad when sitting at traffic lts etc :eek:...seemed to be more so when the engine was hot and at low revs for some reason ...so far the new one is ok , but its not been thrashed ..!!! YET :D:D:D

Nick
14th April 2006, 11:31 PM
i have a 54 plate works s....touch wood never had any problems with a stumble under acceleration. However if i am sitting in traffic it does at time idle very unevenly, revs drop very low, then up again...a prod of the gas seems to fix it..

Gismo
14th April 2006, 11:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Nick
However if i am sitting in traffic it does at time idle very unevenly, revs drop very low, then up again...a prod of the gas seems to fix it..
Having the auto air con on can cause this too

Burple
15th April 2006, 12:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
RP my '03 coop used to stumble but my '05 'S doesn't.

My 03 Cooper used to do that too, but only when pulling away from stop. Weird...

The new 05 One doesn't!

redpoint rallying
15th April 2006, 03:44 AM
I have been trying to tie down exactly the circumstances when it happens ie. weather conditions etc and it is difficult. It doesnt do it all the time and right now in this warm sunny weather there is no 'stumble' at all. Wet and rainy does seem to bother it a wee bit though, but it could very easily be just coincidence.

The symptoms are as if it is suffering fuel surge. Dont get me wrong the car goes like absolute hell and is superb, I would reccommend it to anyone. I just want to iron out this characteristic completely.

I also wonder why a simple 'after-market' re-map can sort it but the manufacturer seems unable to.

I have nothing bad to say about JC in Aberdeen regarding this as they have replaced loads of parts to sort it, and it has been improved. Their customer service since I bought the car from them has been outstanding.

M

Neil and Lorna
15th April 2006, 07:07 AM
Now i come to think of it Martin my JCW has on a couple occasions just simply shut down usualy just as I have pressed the clutch to change down.:eek:
Maybe there is a flaw in the ecu somewhere.

Neil.