PDA

View Full Version : Tyre repair advice please! (GAJ needed!)

lightbody
7th April 2006, 02:19 AM
Punctured tyre today - the tyre alert worked a treat and it was still at 23 When i was able to stop. Picture below.

Should I repair it?

Should I replace it with the repaired tyre GAJ gave me 2 years ago which has since been in the hall cupboard? This is an identical Goodyear Eagle NCT tyre but with better tread... but I don't want differing tread amounts on the same "axle"... Gary is the tyre OK? I can't remember what you told me...

Should I get 2 new front tyres? (preferred option but I'm very very skint just now....)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/roblightbody/Dsc00221E.jpg

Gismo
7th April 2006, 02:25 AM
If it's a run flat get it fixed, if possible and then use the one Gaj gave you as and when you need it :)

GAJ
7th April 2006, 02:28 AM
The tyre I gave you was one that I had a puncture repaired on. I got a puncture the week I got the car and decided to get a new tyre anyway. Seems mad now but I was feeling flush then! The tyre is fine to fit though, otherwise I wouldn't have given it to you!:)

lightbody
7th April 2006, 02:35 AM
I wasn't implying it wasn't fine, i just couldnt remember its "history"! You could have told me it was an emergency only tyre for all i knew... I have a shocking memory. thanks for replying!

lightbody
7th April 2006, 02:47 AM
I think I'm going to buy one new tyre, and put Gary's tyre on the other side... I didn't realise it was in such immaculate condition. Does that make sense?

Wul
7th April 2006, 03:19 AM
Rob - the goodyears can be repaired - don't listen to the the bullsh1t excuses from the tyre fitters - should only cost you about £10 to get sorted - cheapest option of all! :)

GAJ
7th April 2006, 05:11 AM
It's a repaired Goodyear that I gave him.

lightbody
9th April 2006, 12:07 AM
I've tried all my local tyre places and they refuse to repair my tyre :(

Anyone know anyone in Glasgow who'll do this for me?

GAJ
9th April 2006, 12:41 AM
It may be because the puncture is so near to the edge.

Smurf
9th April 2006, 01:07 AM
When I had my Saxo, I always used National / Budget in Kirkintilloch. (Next to McNairs the builders merchants). Never any problems. Didn't use runflats on that though, but it might be worth a try. Pretty sure I've had puncures fixed which were closer to the edge than that......

GAJ
9th April 2006, 01:45 AM
I read somewhere that only the middle 65% should be repaired.

lightbody
9th April 2006, 01:53 AM
They wont even look at the tyre if I tell them its a runflat. "Its illegal sir"... "oh go on heres a tenner..."... nope!!

I didn't tell the first place and they were about to repair it when they realised it was a runflat and then they wouldn't continue.

There is a problem with RunFlats **IF** you have driven on them while actually flat - if thats the case, they shouldn't be repaired. The problem for tyre-centres is that they have no way of knowing.

Gary - the repair on your tyre is closer to the edge than my screw!

Speaking of being screwed... I think I am!

GAJ
9th April 2006, 02:41 AM
That might have been the reason I bought a new tyre, come to mention it. I can't really remember, it was 3 years ago. :I
Have a look at this (http://www.blackcircles.com/general/repair) page.

N12 JLK
9th April 2006, 04:18 AM
Im tyred with all this chat:(

Mini Me
9th April 2006, 04:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

you should get yer jacket mate ;)

Crombers
9th April 2006, 05:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

quote:Originally posted by lesley12

you should get yer jacket mate ;)

Door calling Jason :p;)

johnsop1
11th April 2006, 06:03 AM
I tried to get runflat puncture repaired in Galahiels - Absolutely no joy. Also they told me that I can't fit 'normal' tyres to my S-spokes - can anyone tell me if this is true?

thanks

Paul

GAJ
11th April 2006, 05:29 PM
It's not true. I have 'normal' tyres on my S Spokes.

X30YES
12th April 2006, 12:40 AM
Of course you can , did you ask them why not ?...I'd love to hear the answer to that one

Mon the fish
12th April 2006, 02:54 AM
I got a nail right in the centre of the tread of my brand-new runflat last year, and I made sure to keep the pressure topped up until I got it to a garage.

Not one garage in Stirling would fix it, all because BMW had warned of the safety issues of runflats that had been driven when flat. I guaranteed that it hadn't been, still no-one would fix it. Had to get a new tyre :evil:

GAJ
12th April 2006, 03:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Of course you can , did you ask them why not ?...I'd love to hear the answer to that one

The reason I've heard given is that wheels designed for runflats often have a bigger lip around the edge to help ensure that a deflated tyre does not come off the rim. It doesn't stop the fitting of a normal tyre though, although I believe it can make it a wee bit harder to get the tyre on.

lightbody
12th April 2006, 07:43 AM
My current plan is to continue driving on it, complete with embedded screw, until the tyre needs replacing anyway. The dash-light tells me when the slow puncture has caused it to drop to 25 or so.
I think the situation is ridiculous. I like the idea of run-flats (having had a very scary blowout in the past) but an unrepairable £105 tyre is more than my wallet can stand!

Smurf
12th April 2006, 04:15 PM
You have 16" wheels Rob - same size as me - and my tyres have NEVER been that expensive! Shop around! I've bought mine from my dealer the past 2 or 3 times, and I've not been more than about £180 for two.....

GAJ
12th April 2006, 04:57 PM
MyTyres (http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html) is worth a look. I got two 17" Goodyear Eagle F1's recently for under £200.

lightbody
12th April 2006, 07:26 PM
I did a good rummage on the net. The goodyears are about £105 each (£125 at kwikfit). The ones you have are cheaper, for some reason, but I want the same again. If/when I get round to replace them, i'll make sure and get the cheapest :) Thanks for the tips guys.

GAJ
12th April 2006, 07:39 PM
The Goodyear NCT5's (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=D39155&dsco=10) are £88.40 on MyTyres. Just checked!:)

Gismo
12th April 2006, 08:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
The Goodyear NCT5's (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=D39155&dsco=10) are £88.40 on MyTyres. Just checked!:)
Plus fitting when you get them on

GAJ
12th April 2006, 08:05 PM
That's true. Not much cheaper then. I paid a tenner a tyre on top.

Wul
12th April 2006, 09:18 PM
Rob - Kwik-Fit Mobile have repaired my run-flats twice - once was a Goodyear, the other was a Pirelli - it was through my works account but the dude never even batted an eye-lid that it was a run-flat tyre try 0800 425262. Otherwise try a single trader tyre dealer.

Finally I also once got a nail in a location that they wouldn't sort - got all 4 tyres filled with tyresafe for £30 and never had to top the tyre up again till it was time to replace them!

lightbody
12th April 2006, 11:55 PM
I love that mtyres website.

"He stands out environmentally friendly beyond this as special."

eh?

and... "Also breakdown sure now by EMT technology" - sounds good!!