PDA

View Full Version : WOW another good reason to buy a Apple/Mac

Scottie
6th April 2006, 05:01 PM
Ok sorry if you know this already but after deciding to purchase a apple after my holidays came across this - which was news to me.

Apple has released software that lets users run Microsoft's operating system on its computers that use Intel chips.

Called Boot Camp the program lets Mac owners run both Apple's OSX and Microsft's Windows XP.

A trial version of the software is now available so users can install it. Future versions of Apple's OSX software will include the program.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4880022.stm

I wonder when I buy my Apple Computer if it will have this program.??

X30YES
6th April 2006, 05:08 PM
< Knows where to get a copy of software that allows you to use Windows on a Mac :p...my neighbour is a macoholic and repairs/services them etc ...even for the local pc shop !! .I'm not sure what its called tho,and will pop in and ask him and post back .

GAJ
6th April 2006, 05:26 PM
Angus - That will be Virtual PC. It's rubbish! It allows windows to run in an emulated environment, meaning it runs very slowly.

SC - Boot Camp won't come pre installed but is available to download already through the software update panel in OS X. You'll need to have access to a single disc version of Windows XP home or Pro to use to burn the disc needed to install Windows on your machine.

Gismo
6th April 2006, 05:39 PM
Why would you want to run Win XP on a Mac :p as Gaj mentioned and in my experience emulators use a lot of resources, stick with a PC, you know it makes sense :p:D

X30YES
6th April 2006, 05:41 PM
GAJ, re Virtual PC.....I think that's what its called or something PC :question:,I'm not a mac user and dont know if its good or bad ,so I will take your word for it tho :p

GAJ
6th April 2006, 06:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Why would you want to run Win XP on a Mac :p as Gaj mentioned and in my experience emulators use a lot of resources, stick with a PC, you know it makes sense :p:D

Boot Camp isn't an emulator. It allows XP to run natively on an Intel Mac. Speed tests which have been carried out have been very favourable, despite the fact that no drivers have been written for the graphics card in the Mac whilst it is running XP so the processors are doing all the work! Drivers will be available soon. Boot camp gives you the choice of starting up in either XP or OS X in the one machine. Now that makes sense!;)

minimadtez
6th April 2006, 07:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
Boot Camp isn't an emulator. It allows XP to run natively on an Intel Mac. Speed tests which have been carried out have been very favourable, despite the fact that no drivers have been written for the graphics card in the Mac whilst it is running XP so the processors are doing all the work! Drivers will be available soon. Boot camp gives you the choice of starting up in either XP or OS X in the one machine. Now that makes sense!;)

Nope, PCs make sense! without a doubt.

lightbody
6th April 2006, 09:33 PM
This is awesome news.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

My friend with a Macbook Pro installed it last night and it works a treat.

This surely will raise Apple's market share dramatically with all the people who can now try it out with the 'lifeline' back to XP there if necessary.

The snag for me remains the price... Dell are advertising a £300 laptop that I suspect would do everything I need it to do...

Also interested to note that the 4% market share in the UK is exactly what my website stats shows! I'll watch with interest as it surely increases from now on.

sh@z
7th April 2006, 02:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

So... a mac that runs as fast as a PC that costs double the price? :cool:

Also, having the option to boot into multiple OS's is no new thing. So this is just a case of Apple realising they can only get more market share with windows. No double OS X development will slow down and eventually be phased out.[font=Arial]

lightbody
7th April 2006, 08:20 AM
This is an excellent article about it all:-

http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/windows_the_new_classic