PDA

View Full Version : an iTunes adventure...

lightbody
5th April 2006, 10:39 PM
An Apple friend recently sold iTunes to me, after spending a couple of hours with me answering all my problems and questions... "Why's it doing THAT - I didn't ask it to do THAT!!"...

Anyway, I ended up really liking it. Love the smart playlists and the smart shuffle and the way you can use it to tidy up your collected jumble of random MP3 files and the podcast stuff is neatly done.

He also sold the AAC (.M4P) format to me. (smaller, better quality, newer format and not just Apple!). I tested a file and it worked on my Sony Ericsson phone too. The other place I listen to my music is, of course, in my Mini which I know already can play WMA and MP3. It can't play AAC but I thought that didnt matter because there's a nice "Create MP3 CD" option there that will do that for me...

So off I went - deleting all my old MP3 files and re-ripping about 30 CDs to AAC format, and they do sound fabulous on the PC I must say. My PC isn't very fast, so this all took a loooong time...

So imagine my horror when i discovered that "create MP3 CD" only does so, if the files are ALREADY in MP3 format! What use is that? I can use "create data CD" for that - its the same thing surely!?

ARGGGHHHH!!!!! HELP!!!!! Do I just need to go back to the start and re-rip to MP3 again?

<big sigh>

lightbody
5th April 2006, 10:50 PM
To reply to my own thread, my Apple friend has shown me this link, which as calmed me down a bit...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031221152135219

sh@z
6th April 2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah AAC is totally different to MP3, and not many cars support it (unless you can connect your ipod to them), so yeah you will need to re-rip them from aac to mp3 or something.