PDA

View Full Version : Sky By Broadband

Gismo
5th April 2006, 05:45 PM
Anyone else registered with Sky by Broadband that allows you to download movies :question:
I though it was gonna be a great way to download movies and then rip them to PSP format for my own use when going away to work offshore.
The movies down load in *.Avi mode, so, i needed a converter to MP4, which i bought online, great wee package from Xilisoft, anyways, when you go to rip the movie it simply fails, so, i guess there's some protection on the down load :disapprove:
I should have known better, cost me £25 to find out :mad:

If anyone knows..........

X30YES
5th April 2006, 05:50 PM
anything good here :question:http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Search/avi_converter.html
http://www.tomdownload.com/multimedia_design/video/imtoo_mpeg_encoder.htm

X30YES
5th April 2006, 05:52 PM
or this one Alan http://www.gold-software.com/download9053.html

Gismo
5th April 2006, 05:56 PM
Cheers Angus, i've got a converter, i paid for it too :) but, the movies must have some kind of encryption on them preventing the converter's to rip them to other formats :disapprove:

X30YES
5th April 2006, 06:28 PM
Never read it properly ,sorry:(, can ask at work when I go out again ....lots o' pirates oot on the high seas ;):D:D:D:D

Gismo
5th April 2006, 06:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES
lots o' pirates oot on the high seas ;):D:D:D:D<coughspluttersneeze> keep me posted :p

Wul
5th April 2006, 10:31 PM
aye - two of them are conversing in this ere thread!! :p;)

sh@z
6th April 2006, 12:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Cheers Angus, i've got a converter, i paid for it too :) but, the movies must have some kind of encryption on them preventing the converter's to rip them to other formats :disapprove:

LOL... you should have known Sky wouldnt have let you download movies, and then play them wherever you please. Of course there will be encryption ;). Should have tried one of the trials for the programs before parting with your hard earned ;)

X30YES
6th April 2006, 12:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

It might be your recorder , but something tells me that it would be a Sky encryption blocker thingy ..... Tried a budgies go cheep dvd recorder from ASDA/Tesco, :D:D:D:D:D

ps you have mail

Gismo
6th April 2006, 03:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES
ps you have mail
So do you ;)

X30YES
6th April 2006, 07:51 PM
Sky movies are macrovision protected so ??
Was the movie on disk or downloaded allreadY?? you can use DVD shrink to remove macrovision from a copy or original...
Other than that if you ar trying to copy box office movies you need a "macrovision remover" quite expensive or a video card that dont use macrovision (quite rare now)

minidriver#1
7th April 2006, 12:55 AM
This is why you need to read the agreement, which i did, before you go ahead with this. The movies have DRM (Digital Rights Management) and even after downloading the movies will automatically remove themselves after a period of 3 months. After which you can choose to download them again if they are still available for download. Because they have DRM it'll be extremely difficult to rip into another format. Also the method of distribution is through a technology called bitTorrent which means when you are downloading movies to play you are also uploading sections of it to other people also so that they too can download the movie. This uses up your upload and download rates. So... this begs the question why use sky by broadband when you can download a torrent client like uTorrent for free and download movies for free which dont have DRM? You shouldn't have any problem with that since what you want to do with the original sky by broadband would be violating their user agreement so you may as well go the whole way. lol.

Gismo
7th April 2006, 02:23 AM
Yeah, you're right KJ :disapprove:

minidriver#1
7th April 2006, 08:10 AM
If you want a hand give us a shout and i'll point you in the right direction *cough*The Pirate Bay*cough*Google Search*cough*