PDA

View Full Version : spot lamps?!?

claire
31st March 2006, 05:26 AM
this may be a silly question but is it possible to have 4 of the bmw mini spot lamps on my car? do i need to buy any kind of bracket other than the ones included in the kit? i already have 2 spot lamps on my mini but i've got the chance on another 2!

do you think it will look cool or daft, your opinions would be fab.

The Dogfather
31st March 2006, 05:30 AM
BMW can be funny about your warranty if you have 4 spots

claire
31st March 2006, 05:31 AM
really, how come?

N12 JLK
31st March 2006, 05:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

They wont supply cream for them;)

claire
31st March 2006, 05:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by lesley12

HaHaHaHa:p:D
seriously though - why should it affect my warranty?

Crombers
31st March 2006, 05:53 AM

Jason's 'lurking' again ;)

ajamesj
31st March 2006, 06:00 AM
I have just put 4 on mine just the same brackets as u use for 2 but reverse the brackets so the lamps sit into the centre of the car I like the look of 4 but some people think its to much

claire
31st March 2006, 06:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by ajamesj

I have just put 4 on mine just the same brackets as u use for 2 but reverse the brackets so the lamps sit into the centre of the car I like the look of 4 but some people think its to much

Oh cool, thanks for that, yeah i think it looks smart. lets hope it looks good on mine too!:)

GAJ
31st March 2006, 06:13 AM
MINI's argument is that it can restrict airflow. I think you'll be fine though, plenty folk have done it.

claire
31st March 2006, 06:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

MINI's argument is that it can restrict airflow. I think you'll be fine though, plenty folk have done it.

ah i see, yeah i've seen a few with 4.

remember folks, i'd love your opinions too. thumbs up or thumbs down for 4 spots?

N12 JLK
31st March 2006, 07:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by claire

HaHaHaHa:p:D
seriously though - why should it affect my warranty?

At last someone gets my humour:cool:;)

weefossy
31st March 2006, 07:34 AM
We have had 4 spots on all our cars. On 2 cars the 4 spots were fitted by BMW. Have now found a local guy who does it much cheaper. It's much easier to fit an extra 2,if the factory have already fitted 2 at the outset...wiring looms etc. Gaj 's comment is right, in that BMW think it effects the air flow, but we have never had any problems. With the Cooper s they also recommend fitting stronger "dampers" to the bonnet because of the weight of the extra spots and the weight of the headlight washers etc. We only bothered doing this once and never noticed any difference.
I have seen dealers selling cars with 4 spots (Minime with Black Betty) which I don't think they would do if it effected the warranty. Minime????

claire
31st March 2006, 07:34 AM
HEHE yeah i got it lesley - quite surprising really cause i'm usually the last one to catch on:I

claire
31st March 2006, 07:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

We have had 4 spots on all our cars. On 2 cars the 4 spots were fitted by BMW. Have now found a local guy who does it much cheaper. It's much easier to fit an extra 2,if the factory have already fitted 2 at the outset...wiring looms etc. Gaj 's comment is right, in that BMW think it effects the air flow, but we have never had any problems. With the Cooper s they also recommend fitting stronger "dampers" to the bonnet because of the weight of the extra spots and the weight of the headlight washers etc. We only bothered doing this once and never noticed any difference.
I have seen dealers selling cars with 4 spots (Minime with Black Betty) which I don't think they would do if it effected the warranty. Minime????

i was wondering if there would be too much weight on the bonnet grill? i'm hoping my dad or bf will be able to fit them for me, as i'm just a poor nurse:(

Wul
31st March 2006, 04:32 PM
Claire - the bracket is fixed to the inside of the bonnet lining, not the grill - it just passes through the gap in the grill. :)

euan
31st March 2006, 05:55 PM
I think 4 look great. I always wanted to fit some to my car but was too worried about neds kicking them off so didn't bother.

The Dogfather
31st March 2006, 07:18 PM
I heard that BMW weren't fitting 4 anymore as it caused a problem with cooling. I think Sheilz originally posted about this :D

GAJ
31st March 2006, 07:21 PM
Read the thread doughball!;)

X30YES
31st March 2006, 07:33 PM
4 spots 4 brackets ,or a lamp bar is the other way to do it ,however, if you have the aero kit fitted the grill is different and needs to be cut to allow the brackets to be fitted as it has no slots ...no big job really. I'm sure the brackets are fitted with pop rivets to the underside of the bonnet and Hella do a good kit now for the mini .£116 @ www.newministuff.com BMW £330 fitted !!!!!!

X30YES
31st March 2006, 07:35 PM

I heard that BMW weren't fitting 4 anymore as it caused a problem with cooling. I think Sheilz originally posted about this :D
Oh Dear Oh Dear :p Keep up with the news man :clown::clown::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:o )]

claire
1st April 2006, 05:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Claire - the bracket is fixed to the inside of the bonnet lining, not the grill - it just passes through the gap in the grill. :)

:Ioops!! i never knew that, thanks. i'd have figured it out once i had a close look:)

The Dogfather
1st April 2006, 06:46 AM

Actually I had read the thread, I was reinforcing my early comment and clarifying who I'd heard it from, ya muppets!

Get back in your cage Macboy:D:p;)

As for you Angus, Tut Tut :clown:;)

I think Sheilz had taken her car into JCs and they warned her or summat, now where is she, I need back up :D

Crombers
1st April 2006, 09:12 AM

Actually I had read the thread, I was reinforcing my early comment and clarifying who I'd heard it from, ya muppets!

Get back in your cage Macboy:D:p;)

As for you Angus, Tut Tut :clown:;)

I think Sheilz had taken her car into JCs and they warned her or summat, now where is she, I need back up :D

Back up .... nothing , you've lost it perm boy :D;)

Sheilz
1st April 2006, 09:20 AM
Here I am! Yes according to the service manager my four were supposed to be the last four they were putting on and may have affected my warranty if he'd read his email inbox afore the mechanics started working on the motor! Have never had any bother with mine apart from rusty bitson the second pair installed. I think Martin's ones look much nicer than the BMW ones. But the four spots do look nice. Makes for good bling. :D:D:D Which is what us hooded ones appreciate ;):D:D:D

The Dogfather
1st April 2006, 05:36 PM
I rest my case M' Lawd! :D

claire
2nd April 2006, 01:38 AM
i was just looking at my car - will it be easy enough to sus out where to put the spots/cut the grill so the spots have equal spacing - i dont wanna end up having wonky spots on my car, saving up for a holiday so cant really afford BMW prices to get them fitted by a pro?!?!

X30YES
4th April 2006, 04:11 PM
I think if you look under the bonnet ,you will see that you can only fit the brackets to a couple of places ,fit one and measure the distace etc from the nearest lip mark it and bobs your uncle

euan
4th April 2006, 05:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

I think if you look under the bonnet ,you will see that you can only fit the brackets to a couple of places ,fit one and measure the distace etc from the nearest lip mark it and bobs your uncle

The joys of a tape measure and a marker pen ;)

X30YES
5th April 2006, 12:54 AM
Quad Spot Lamp Kit £189:95 www.minisport.com