PDA

View Full Version : Changing pads

masterbiker
31st March 2006, 03:35 AM
Hi, Im going to change my break pads to some EBC greenstuff ones and would like to know if there are any little problems I should be aware of before starting this. EG, is it realy hard to push the piston back in, will i have any problems with any sensors etc

Thanks

AN03REW
31st March 2006, 06:43 AM
My break pad sensor on front left fell to bits when I changed mine so had to changed because break pad light wouldnt go off. Only £8 for new one from BMW. The piston goes in easy once bleeder is slackend. I use a small G clamp to push back. Remember to grease outside of pads to stop squeaks. I put EBC in and am happy with them!

masterbiker
31st March 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks

bpirie1000
3rd April 2006, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't slacken the bleeder. I would Take off the CAp off the Master cylinder.

You'll be going through Brake fluid if you Slacken the beeld Nipple.

Get a Set of Long Nosed Pliers and Screw/Push the Piston Back in

Good luck..

Gismo
3rd April 2006, 05:44 PM
Yep, do as Brian says, don't open the bleeder, take the cap off the master cylinder.
The front pistons can be pushed back in with no rotation, you can also use a G Clamp.
The rear pistons must be rotated and pushed in at the same time.

Good luck :)

masterbiker
3rd April 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys and gals, they are in. One thing I did forget to do was to pump the break before driving off, but luckily I was only reversing out of my driveway :-/ The two bolts that hold on the calipers were a right bitch to get off, if I had used my head and turned the wheel so i could get better angle, it wouldn't have taken me so long. Doh!

But anyways, should I get the rear pads too?

Gismo
3rd April 2006, 11:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by masterbiker
But anyways, should I get the rear pads too?
I would only change them if they are worn down, or, you are suffering from too much brake dust, but, i wouldn't expect that on the rears :p

bpirie1000
4th April 2006, 12:52 AM
congrats what method did you use.

Shouldn't need the rears for a while Unless your a heavy braker. and Let us know how you go with thouse pads. interested to know.

Thanks

The Dogfather
4th April 2006, 01:20 AM
My rear brakes went first, perhaps a fault :question:

masterbiker
4th April 2006, 02:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000

congrats what method did you use.

Shouldn't need the rears for a while Unless your a heavy braker. and Let us know how you go with thouse pads. interested to know.

Thanks

Method? As in undoing the bolts? I used a very large ammount of force on the short handled ratchet I have, also tapping it with a hammer.

So far the pads have a bit of sqweal under light breaking, tho they have only been on the car for a few hours/15miles now. Having said that the standard pads would sqweal under light breaking too.

Anyways I will give a better report on them after I have it on the track on friday.

bpirie1000
4th April 2006, 04:18 AM
track??

what track where??

masterbiker
4th April 2006, 05:33 PM
Knockhill

bpirie1000
4th April 2006, 09:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by masterbiker

Knockhill

DOn't give much away do you..

what is on?

What sort of time you expecting?

any other Mods to the Car??

Anyways good Luck and Hope to see some pics next week.

masterbiker
12th April 2006, 04:23 AM
It was an invite only event, no timers or anything and wasn't meant to tell anyone about it. I would never take any car on a track if it wasn't a private event, you get some real ******s on the open days. No pics as you wern't alowed unless you had a proper mount in the car, not even a camera phone :-( anyways:

The weather was wet, then it started snowing... even so, I was still getting tyre screeching round the corners (I have Proxes T1-R's, run flats are pants!). The only other mods are a Pipercross induction kit and a dantek Unichip (128.9bhp)http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/masterbiker/MichaelsBHP.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/masterbiker/Michaelstorque.jpg

They turned the mini from a fun car to an exciting car :)

Anyways, I was faster round the track than a 106gti and a mark3(might have been mark2) golf Gti. Only 2 other cars caught up to me and passed, I was still later in breaking and faster round the corners than them tho. I didn't catch up to any others and no one else caught up, so it must be quite competitive (either that or I picked the right times to leave the pits).

The only problems I had was the final corner on the track as you can't take it in 2nd gear as you then have no revs at all when exiting it, so you have to use first :-$ and I think I could realy have done with the rear pads too as the breaks would get a bit spongy after about 5 laps.

But the sad thing is, I just got a new job, its in France and I can't take it with me (never, ever will i buy a car on finance again, i have to either sell the car for £9660 or find £2830 to pay up to the halfway point to terminate the contract). So I will be selling the unichip and induction kit this week, not sure if its safe to fell the greenstuff pads.

Will sell the lot on ebay unless anyone wants to make me an offer (will put the details in the buy/sell section.

masterbiker
12th April 2006, 04:25 AM
opps hope the pics aren't too big...

masterbiker
13th April 2006, 01:49 AM
Here is a (real bad quality) vid of some of the cars that were on the track. I don't think mine is on there tho, but its the only footage I have mannaged to get off anyone.