PDA

View Full Version : Windows to Mac/Apple

Scottie
28th March 2006, 08:10 AM
I was thinking how easy would it be for a computer dummie to go from a using the Windows aplication to Apple/Mac.

How easy or hard would it be to set up my d -link router for a mac/apple thingy.

What would I loose or gain anything by changing.

Now remember I'm a computer dummie so keep the answers simple:I where is the best place to buy a apple/mac and is there a place I can go to get it set up for my wireless network stuff.

Oh and could I have 1 laptop on windows and one on apple/mac with using the same router in my house

The Dogfather
28th March 2006, 04:43 PM
Depends on the application you using on a PC.

I beleive that wireless is easier on apples to set up, I would recommend John Lewis as they usually have a good selection of apple stuff, unlike PC world which can be hit and miss :(

As far as I know an apple can share a router, but this might a wee bit harder to set up, I doubt it would ork straight out of the box.

Does this mean that the Quasimodo is dead:question:

GAJ
28th March 2006, 05:41 PM
You'd find it very easy to switch. I've persuaded about half a dozen folk to buy Macs in the last few years; none have regretted it.

Apple have a site aimed at people who are considering switching, it's obviously written with a real Apple bias but it's well worth a look. (http://www.apple.com/uk/switch/)

You wouldn't have any problem setting up wireless or your d-link router. It will work straight out of the box without any complicated settings needing to be changed.

I would avoid PC World as the staff there in general know nothing about Macs. John Lewis staff can be a bit hit and miss too but they are better than PC World. There are Scotsys dedicated Apple centres in Glasgow and Edinburgh who can give good advice and are no more expensive. You won't find much variation in the price of hardware anywhere. David (3GGG) can also supply Apple equipment through his business.(I think he still can?) Or you can buy direct online.

I don't think you will lose anything from ditching Windaes apart from grief! I have to use XP everyday at work (like now) and it's pish in comparison. Almost all major applications available on Windaes are available on the Mac or have a similar equivalent. All the things you would normally do a computer at home (storing/viewing digital photos; editing digital video, even in HD; making DVD's etc.) are much easier on a Mac and the software comes free with the machine!:)

Scottie
28th March 2006, 05:58 PM
Gaj,

you've got me almost making that leap over. so as it's a Laptop I would like would the best choice be the MacBook Pro.
Hopefully 3GGG will be along soon as I will defo need some support when it comes to setting up or should it just be a case that with the router already set up for broadband when the Mac connects to the router it will be automatic

GAJ
28th March 2006, 06:22 PM
You shouldn't have any problem setting up the Mac. It will find the wireless network and talk you through what to do. I can give you a hand if you get stuck!

The MacBook Pro is probably your best choice, I haven't actually seen one in the flesh yet though! It uses the Intel chip which all Macs are switching to so both the iBook and Powerbook should really be considered end of line.

My advice would be whichever model you choose, fit as much RAM as you can afford. (that will be a lot of RAM in your case!;)) If you buy online from Apple you can have this done for you to save you having to open up the machine.

macblob
28th March 2006, 08:24 PM
Go for it , you won't regret it, as Gaj said a mac will do everything a pc can do. Also for things like music and digi pics etc they are way more user friendly.....plug and play. Plug in your digi camera and the mac will recognize it straight away and launch apples photo storage app(iphoto).........no need to install ten thousand different drivers like on windoze.
John lewis are ok , I bought my 1st mac there, but only cause they normally give an extra yrs guarantee for free.
Generally pc world and JL's staff know very little about macs IMHO

Scottie
28th March 2006, 08:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Go for it , you won't regret it, as Gaj said a mac will do everything a pc can do. Also for things like music and digi pics etc they are way more user friendly.....plug and play. Plug in your digi camera and the mac will recognize it straight away and launch apples photo storage app(iphoto).........no need to install ten thousand different drivers like on windoze.
John lewis are ok , I bought my 1st mac there, but only cause they normally give an extra yrs guarantee for free.
Generally pc world and JL's staff know very little about macs IMHO

was looking to buy online at Apple but by the time I click for extra optoins it says 4-5 weeks delivery and I want it tomorrow kinda thing.

GAJ
28th March 2006, 08:49 PM
What options are you thinking of?

Scottie
28th March 2006, 08:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

What options are you thinking of?

I chose the 2ghz but click for upgrade to 2.16ghz

memory click for 2gb

hard drive upgradeed to 120GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)

AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook - Auto-enroll

lightbody
28th March 2006, 09:42 PM
My Pal got a Macbook Pro recently (thats the new Intel ones yeah?). I played with it for a while - I did like it - but not £1700 of liking... it also nearly set my lap on fire! Definitely the hottest laptop i've ever used!

Comparing a home Apple with a locked down work XP PC isn't fair! Also to say that Apples are perfect isn't fair either - my Apple-using friends do have problems from time to time.

I know various people with PCs and they mostly don't have any grief with them. I just reinstalled XP after 3.5 years of it on my PC doing all sorts to it. Only reason I reinstalled was due to a licensing issue.
The other thing that amuses me is when people switch from an old knackered PC to a brand new Apple and then say "oh its better!". Of course it is! I often wonder how many people quietly switch the other way without saying. Only 4% of visitors to my website use Apples...

Big Col
28th March 2006, 10:09 PM
For those of you interested lightbody's website is www.allmacuserstakeitupthebunghole.com. :)

lightbody
28th March 2006, 10:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
For those of you interested lightbody's website is www.allmacuserstakeitupthebunghole.com. :)
LOL! You told me you'd keep that a secret too :I

The Dogfather
28th March 2006, 10:16 PM
There's another website you might what to look at www.ohmygawdnotanothercrusadingmacowner.com ;)

Burple
28th March 2006, 11:02 PM
Bwah ha ha ha ha :D:D

Guess where this thread is going?? :D:D:D

Now steady on guys... you really shouldn't mock the afflicted..
Here's a good place that appears to have Macs (http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/truhome/trulearning/trulearningelectronicscience/137057) on it's website for reasonable prices!

;):p:D:D

macblob
28th March 2006, 11:30 PM
Feckin PC Monkeys :P

(must not lower myself to there level.......stay calm)

Scottie
28th March 2006, 11:33 PM
so why do people not like MACS???? Is this a bit like the Old Mini new Mini debate.;):p

GAJ
28th March 2006, 11:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Also to say that Apples are perfect isn't fair either - my Apple-using friends do have problems from time to time.

Nobody is claiming they are perfect. Just better.:D

Apart from mine which has a buggered power supply.:(

macblob
28th March 2006, 11:47 PM
Any joy on that front Gaj?

Just delete all the windoze users accounts big man ;)

Burple
29th March 2006, 12:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

so why do people not like MACS???? Is this a bit like the Old Mini new Mini debate.;):p

:D:D
I've got nothing against them at all, got to be able to play with them for work. They're miles better for any Graphical work, and I need to get my hands on one of the new ones to have a play!

Mac Crusaders Users are so easy to wind up tho.. :p:p;):D:D:D:D

GAJ
29th March 2006, 12:25 AM

Any joy on that front Gaj?

Stopping the machine from sleeping has made it useable for the moment. I have sourced a replacement at a reasonable price so fingers crossed. . .

I'll give you a full update on Friday if you're coming out to play!http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/images/guinness.gif:p

Scottie
29th March 2006, 12:58 AM
right I have decided it's the MacBook Pro. Made a few phones calls and think it will be direct from apple they say it comes in direct from China and for a fully specced one takes a 1-2 weeks.

So just need to wait until after my holidays and I will order.:(

Oh well better leave my credit cards behind for this hol.:(:(

sh@z
29th March 2006, 01:13 AM
*walks in*

oh no, not again

*tries to find the door to make a prompt exit*

Fi, its all a matter of preference, have you actually used a mac before? If not go down to apple store or something and have a play before you make you purchase.

Scottie
29th March 2006, 01:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

*walks in*

oh no, not again

*tries to find the door to make a prompt exit*

Fi, its all a matter of preference, have you actually used a mac before? If not go down to apple store or something and have a play before you make you purchase.

only in the Mac store in the Trafford dentre Manchester and then again in New York at the hotel we were staying at. Seemed OK then

sh@z
29th March 2006, 01:29 AM
Cool, as long as your not buying blind :p and being led along by the mac-monkeys around here ;) lol

macblob
29th March 2006, 01:44 AM
Cool Gaj , and everything is fine for friday drinking :)

The Dogfather
29th March 2006, 02:13 AM
Some more 'cheap macs' (http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk)

monkimagic
29th March 2006, 02:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Some more 'cheap macs' (http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk)
;)

GAJ
29th March 2006, 02:29 AM
SC - 'Look into my eyes, not around the eyes, look into my eyes, 3, 2, 1 - you're under. You will go out and but a Mac, the best one you can find. You'll post on here about how good it is and how rubbish Windaes machines are in comparison and you'll dedicate the rest of your life to evangelising the Apple cause, just like me! When you come round the fist thing you'll do is post a pro-Mac message on this thread. RIGHT! You're back in the room!!!' :)

sh@z
29th March 2006, 03:07 AM
SEE!!!!!!!!

Scottie
29th March 2006, 04:27 AM

SC - 'Look into my eyes, not around the eyes, look into my eyes, 3, 2, 1 - you're under. You will go out and but a Mac, the best one you can find. You'll post on here about how good it is and how rubbish Windaes machines are in comparison and you'll dedicate the rest of your life to evangelising the Apple cause, just like me! When you come round the fist thing you'll do is post a pro-Mac message on this thread. RIGHT! You're back in the room!!!' :)

don't worry Gaj I've been converted. posted on 4 forums I visit and you'd be surprised just how many have said to swap to the Mac my fav comment that I read was this:

The Mac makes my PC look like a cheap skoda with no extras:D;):p

now just got to wait until my holidays are over so I don't spend to much on the credit card.:(

GAJ
29th March 2006, 04:38 AM
It worked!:evil::):evil:;)

sh@z
29th March 2006, 05:11 AM
Oh no, another one has been turned!

The Dogfather
29th March 2006, 05:33 AM
Actually, I was thinking of buying a Mac Mini, the one with the new intel chip. I wanted to use it in the same way a Media PC works but can it be used to record TV:question: And 5.1 sound :question:

If not it'll be another PC to add to my growing collection ;)

Scottie
29th March 2006, 05:44 AM
was wondering now that I have made my mind up and have chose the mac:cool:

Ok I know it should be easy to set up etc etc

but I'm one of those nightmare computer users that just picks up the phone dials 1234 and greets down the phone to the help desk that my laptop is not working (Craig and LnL will know the type):I I reckon:p

Once I get the Laptop direct from Apple can I get some one to set it all up so that all I need to do is just switch it on and click on the internet icon and hey presto it's working. Can;t find any local companies @ Inverness who deal with Mac's:(

GAJ
29th March 2006, 07:10 AM
It really will work straight out the box! trust me!

duncan
29th March 2006, 07:23 AM
<yawn>

http://sunniebunniezz.com/holiday/images/imagesG/ghogshadow.gif

Burple
29th March 2006, 07:31 AM
Oh no! run!
They're about to start chanting!

"One of Us!....One of Us!... One of Us!..."

;);):p:p:D:D:D

As far as changing to actually *use* a Mac, it's just a little different to what you're used to. There's a lot less double clicking! :D
...and some things are in slightly different places. They're actually a lot easier for the average user to get them to do exactly what you want to do as well ;)

...and if you *really* want, you can run windows on 'em too! ;):D:D

Craig
29th March 2006, 07:40 AM
I'm staying out of this..... no bu$$er all about macs... voodoo witchcraft if you ask me...:eek::blackeye:;)

If you still want that laptop looking at Fe, just give me a bell when your down next...:D but it looks like you've made your new purchase to replace it...;)

sh@z
29th March 2006, 09:36 AM
Right clicking on macs is quite difficult i hear ;)

macblob
29th March 2006, 05:09 PM
Not if youve got a mouse with a right click button , its exactely the same :P

GAJ
29th March 2006, 05:31 PM
I don't have any trouble right clicking. (Sh@z - get with the programme man! ;) The Mac OS has supported right clicking for a lifetime and Apple have even been producing their own multi-button mouse (http://www.apple.com/uk/mightymouse/) for a couple of years .) Shame they don't make a wireless or bluetooth version though.

Of course it's still way cooler than your average PC mouse!;)
http://images.apple.com/uk/mightymouse/images/indextop20050729.jpg

Big Col
29th March 2006, 05:38 PM
<sniggers> "Mighty Mouse". They thought long and hard about that one and clearly went "Awww fek it. Let's just use the twatty name!" Cracking looking mouse though...does it work on PCs? :D

GAJ
29th March 2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah it'll work in Windows (2000 or XP) too. It's just a USB mouse at the end of the day. You'd just programme the buttons in the mouse control panel as usual.

Big Col
29th March 2006, 05:52 PM
Excellent. I might get me one of them!

Scottie
29th March 2006, 05:53 PM
I thought I saw on the Apple site while checking out the powerbook pro a wireless mouse:question:

Gismo
29th March 2006, 06:20 PM
Are you telling me that Apple don't have a wireless mouse :p <piff>

GAJ
29th March 2006, 06:32 PM
No, I'm not.;) I'm telling you that the wonderfully named "Mighty Mouse" is not wireless. Apple do produce a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse. (http://www.apple.com/uk/keyboard/) Only single button though - not my cup of tea.

To clarify - the mouse is single button, the keyboard has loads of buttons!;)

Gismo
29th March 2006, 06:43 PM
Whew, with all their wireless stuff i was amazed that apple didn't produce a wireless mouse and keybaord, now I know ;)
Still, windaes is much better
Runs for cover, Ewan, back us up

Burple
29th March 2006, 06:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Whew, with all their wireless stuff i was amazed that apple didn't produce a wireless mouse and keybaord, now I know ;)
Still, windaes is much better
Runs for cover, Ewan, back us up

:D:D

Awww.. isn't that cute.. It's got a buttons on it to switch it's lights on... that'd be... erm.. useful?

Here... if Macs are that great and all conquering, why aren't they putting a Mac chip in pc's instead? ;):p:D

GAJ
29th March 2006, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
It's got a buttons on it to switch it's lights on... that'd be... erm.. useful?

Here... if Macs are that great and all conquering, why aren't they putting a Mac chip in pc's instead? ;):p:D

What on earth are you talking about? What lights?

You're making the classic mistake with your second point with confusing hidden away 'innards' with user experience. Macs have used a variety of processors over the years in exactly the same way that Windows PCs have. They are now using Intel chips as Motorola did not develop a suitable chip. Seems a pretty reasonable decision to me. But that's kind of irrelevant. It just feels better using a Mac than a PC. Plus they look nicer in your house!:)

duncan
29th March 2006, 07:29 PM
http://www.geocities.com/duncan_mckenna/upload_54437.jpg

I'll stick with my Wireless, optical, rechargable, 5 buttoned mouse, that fits my hand, than something that is style over substance thanks ;)

Burple
29th March 2006, 07:34 PM
quote:

What on earth are you talking about? What lights?

Yeah.. ok... It says 'sights' and I read 'lights... oops! :I

quote:
You're making the classic mistake with your second point with confusing hidden away 'innards' with user experience. Macs have used a variety of processors over the years in exactly the same way that Windows PCs have. They are now using Intel chips as Motorola did not develop a suitable chip. Seems a pretty reasonable decision to me. But that's kind of irrelevant. It just feels better using a Mac than a PC. Plus they look nicer in your house!:)

:D:D He bites! :D
I remember using very old Macs (fairly new at the time) at school, and they're certainly come a long way in the same way PCs have, the different machines are just better at different things.
What I'd really like to know is why haven't Apple pursued getting more big name games out for their machines. They'd look soooo much better!

Most Macs do look better than your boggo standard pc :D Except for These (http://www.alienware.co.uk/main.aspx?kw=Alienware) shiny things!

GAJ
29th March 2006, 07:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

http://www.geocities.com/duncan_mckenna/upload_54437.jpg

I'll stick with my Wireless, optical, rechargable, 5 buttoned mouse, that fits my hand, than something that is style over substance thanks ;)

Me too!;)

macblob
29th March 2006, 07:58 PM
Me aswell, I use a logitech 5 button mouse on my mac.
Plug and play as usual,not the usual 5hrs of installing drivers on windoze boxes lol

duncan
29th March 2006, 08:05 PM

Plug and play as usual,not the usual 5hrs of installing drivers on windoze boxes lol

<yawn>

5 hours? Never taken 5 hours, even on 3.1.
Get with the times! ;)

Burple
29th March 2006, 08:11 PM

Me aswell, I use a logitech 5 button mouse on my mac.

Drivers?
Not on XP for such trivialities... ;);):D:D:p:p:p
Plug n play for pretty much all USB devices..

macblob
29th March 2006, 10:11 PM
ooohhhhhh u mean u can actually plug a device in and a pc recognizes it now???
Funny how macs have always been this way :P

Gismo
29th March 2006, 10:20 PM
Funny how macs have always been this way :P
Nope, not always, there was a time when the humble Mac did indeed need shown how to connect, albeit a long time ago before you geeks thought Mac's were better :p just don't ask me to prove it :p

Big Col
29th March 2006, 10:28 PM
Awww fur fek sake THEY'RE BOTH GOOD UST DIFFERENT! GET OVER IT AND GO GET OUT MORE YA PASTY FACED GEEKY FEKERS!!!!!

<sighs> Ahhh that's better. :)

Burple
29th March 2006, 10:31 PM
Here.. it's a different story when you're trying to cadge free software off us Hightower ;):p:p:p:p:p:p:blackeye::D

Big Col
29th March 2006, 10:34 PM
Of course it is! I'm no likely to be abusive when I'm trying to cadge free software am I? ;)

The Dogfather
29th March 2006, 11:26 PM
Gaj, have you ever tried going house to house trying to convert PC owners :question: :p;)

GAJ
29th March 2006, 11:48 PM
No.

duncan
30th March 2006, 12:51 AM
Just out of interest, what is the breakdown on traffic, by browser/os for NMS then?

I'm not fishing for another PC/Mac debate, just curious after what Rob said was the traffic on his.

Scottie
30th March 2006, 01:02 AM
OH please my thread is starting to turn into a "geek" thread.;):p:blackeye::D

GAJ
30th March 2006, 01:55 AM
You'll be a geek too soon!;):clown:

Scottie
30th March 2006, 04:31 AM

You'll be a geek too soon!;):clown:

jings so I will:I:p;):cool:

lightbody
30th March 2006, 04:46 AM
quote:You'll be a geek too soon!
quote:jings so I willI think you're OK, so long as you keep saying "jings" :clown:

Scottie
30th March 2006, 04:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

quote:You'll be a geek too soon!
quote:jings so I willI think you're OK, so long as you keep saying "jings" :clown:

yeah it's in my signature.

p.s. love the castrol sign. good to see you backing the big major oil companies BP;):p:cool:

macblob
30th March 2006, 05:52 AM
That what were doing on Friday Gaj, door to door mac conversions lol