PDA

View Full Version : New Springs

AN03REW
28th March 2006, 04:25 AM
Ive got 40mm profile tyres on and would lowering the car 30mm look nice? Post some pics to let me see please. And where can I get springs for good prices?

Crombers
28th March 2006, 05:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by AN03REW

Ive got 40mm profile tyres on and would lowering the car 30mm look nice? Post some pics to let me see please. And where can I get springs for good prices?

Oh gawd no , don't do it :eek:
Think of your resale value (£0.00)

AN03REW
28th March 2006, 05:32 AM
what do you mean?

Crombers
28th March 2006, 05:39 AM

what do you mean?

Maybe it's just me but I prefer originality & when I see the lowered Saxo/Corsa brigade I just cringe :dead::disapprove:. If you sell your car in the future in a modified (non BMW) state you'll get feck all for it.

AN03REW
28th March 2006, 05:51 AM
I did know that! does it really drop in price? You see Ive a mini one with standered springs so it rolls and isnt as good as it should be. I guess I could put back in standered springs for selling could I?

Crombers
28th March 2006, 07:02 AM

I did know that! does it really drop in price? You see Ive a mini one with standered springs so it rolls and isnt as good as it should be. I guess I could put back in standered springs for selling could I?

Anything modified would have to be out back to original if selling/trading back via BMW/MINI (this I know for sure).

Those that have modified their MINI's may wish to post to offer their advice.

Maybe you would sell privately but I,m sure most folk would walk if they saw a MINI that had been customised/lowered (I would). The techno folk will be along soon but I would imagine you could refit the original springs. Does your MINI roll that much. Don't recall any ONE owners complaining that much.

Bottom line though mate , it's your car & your choice to do with as you please.

AN03REW
28th March 2006, 07:51 AM
its not to bad but once u drive a cooper you see the difference! I think itl make it look better to. Does any one recomend a certain make of spring?

The Dogfather
28th March 2006, 04:49 PM
Andrew, you could have saved me a fortune, I was looking for a one owner to swap my SS+ suspension with as it was killing my back.

I think you find to stop the roll as well as a cooper you'll need to consider springs, anti-roll bars and dampers.

X30YES
28th March 2006, 05:55 PM
Stiffer springs etc might be the way to go rather than lowering , even bigger wheels would do it ,at the end of the day its your car and money .

kevinpitkeathly
30th March 2006, 05:15 AM
I have a mini one when i bought it i got the sport suspension fitted by BMW and it is fantastic i wouldnt even think of lowering it

lightbody
30th March 2006, 05:32 AM
The cooper sport suspension IS lower than the ONE standard suspension. Or so it says in the brochure anyway... can't say i've ever noticed... sounds like the way to go to me.

The MINI's all about handling and driving fun (in my view)... don't do anything to spoil this!

Big Gordy
30th March 2006, 06:30 AM
Is it just me:eek:(or is it just because I'm getting older...don't answer that Col)but I find the ONE's suspension more than adequate for the job:Dwithout suffering the downsides that others have documented already in other posts. Personally I find the standard shock fine and remember I had an XR2 with Koni adjustables on it wound in half way and it was a nightmare:mad: Sure it went round the corners like a bat out of hell but it shook everything to bits and crashed and banged all over the place. If you guys are pushing these cars on the road to the extent that you feel the suspension is lacking then I think its time you took up racing. I'm not having a go at the younger members as I drive fast too but I'm getting a bit worried:blackeye:

Crombers
30th March 2006, 08:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Is it just me:eek:(or is it just because I'm getting older...don't answer that Col)but I find the ONE's suspension more than adequate for the job:Dwithout suffering the downsides that others have documented already in other posts. Personally I find the standard shock fine and remember I had an XR2 with Koni adjustables on it wound in half way and it was a nightmare:mad: Sure it went round the corners like a bat out of hell but it shook everything to bits and crashed and banged all over the place. If you guys are pushing these cars on the road to the extent that you feel the suspension is lacking then I think its time you took up racing. I'm not having a go at the younger members as I drive fast too but I'm getting a bit worried:blackeye:

Well said that man :approve:

Gismo
30th March 2006, 06:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers
Says the man who just through down a gauntlet to Vidal :p:blackeye:;):I

Crombers
30th March 2006, 06:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Says the man who just through down a gauntlet to Vidal :p:blackeye:;):I

Yeah but he drives like a girl :approve:

(tin hat now firmly on)

markyc
31st March 2006, 01:52 AM
My opinion would be to leave the springs the way they are :approve: If you want to fill out the wheelarch space buy a nice set of 18's :approve::D or treat yourself to 19's :p:approve::approve::D They both look great on Mini ;):cool:

But is your mowta so do whatever floats your bubble :D;)

Burple
31st March 2006, 02:13 AM

A short answer.. yes.. it would look awesome, but the ride would suffer unless you sorted everything else out too (sway bar, shox etc). and be prepared to hear some new rattles and thumps!
Have a look on www.mini2.com and nose through some galleries. Hey, BS, still got any old pictures of Milly after you lowered her? <drools> :D:D

Actually, now that I think about it, someone else on here posted some pics of their S just after lowering it. Dark Silver ISTR... fairly recently.. try a trawl through this site too! :D

Adam MCS
31st March 2006, 02:18 AM
I don't think lowering your car 30mm will make any difference to your resale values. I traded in my cooper s when it was lowered and the garage didn't even notice so it had no effect.

And if it worries you too much just get a garage to put the standard springs back on when you sell it, its not that much of a problem.

The Dogfather
31st March 2006, 02:41 AM

(tin hat now firmly on)

Yeah, that girl off top gear who showed JC how to drive at the Nuremburgring:clown:

Crombers
31st March 2006, 03:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

(tin hat now firmly on)

Yeah, that girl off top gear who showed JC how to drive at the Nuremburgring:clown:

FAR better lookin than you Vidal :kiss:;)

Burple
3rd April 2006, 10:06 PM
I believe This Thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7320) will answer any of your questions concerning how the car will look lowered! :cool:

nice...