PDA

View Full Version : Ooops !! ( Slippery Roads)

ACF
27th March 2006, 07:59 AM
Was caught out on Saturday Morning, :disapprove:
I was on my way to Morrisons Phoenixmini in Kirkcaldy to get a couple of things looked at, and just as I came off the roundabout the backend tried to overtake the front.

Time stood still for an age, as it all seemed to happened in slow motion, as I 'floated' towards the barrier, getting closer and closer...
then BANG !

I thought that the whole front end of the MINI was gone, but I was 'lucky' only a badly cracked front bumper, buckled wheel rim and bent suspension arm.

Oh well, that's what Fully Comp Insurance is for I suppose. Now lets see how good Directline are. (No horror stories, please)

claire
27th March 2006, 08:35 AM
oh man, soz to hear that. i'm insured with directline too - whatever you do dont use D.C body repair in falkirk - i had to take my car back there 4 times after they "repaired" my mini!!!

ps soz, i know you said no horror stories, but i'd sure as hell wish i'd known about D.C body repair before my car was sent there!!!

lightbody
27th March 2006, 09:02 AM
Oh no - glad to hear its not worse!

Do you have ASC or DSC? I suspect not but would be interested to know... i'm really starting to think it should be standard fitment...

The Dogfather
27th March 2006, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your bump, I hope you get it sorted soon.

KenL
27th March 2006, 06:17 PM
Remember that you can have your car repaired at a bodyshop of your choice, you do not need to use their authorised repairer.

ianking
27th March 2006, 06:41 PM
When my car was written of it was with direct line. they were good to deal with and got everything sorted quickly. They asked me before it was declared a w/off where i wanted it to go. I asked for it to go to the mini garage bodyshop as it was only 4 months old. You can get it taken to a bmw approved bodyshop then you shouldnt have any worries with your warranty.

Crombers
27th March 2006, 09:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by ACF
off the roundabout the backend tried to overtake the front.

Were you perhaps going a bit to fast:question:

ACF
27th March 2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the concern, (and the warning.) Going into a Repairshop in Dunfermline tomorrow.

I have a Cooper S, so I have ASC as standard, but I don't think it works too well when going sideways.

Originally posted by crombers ?
Were you perhaps going a bit to fast... Not at all officer !:eek:
early morning gritting/damp and greasy road...
ok maybe just a bit to fast for the conditions.

I would like to say that I had something to do with keeping the damage to a minimum, but I could have been sitting in the passenger seat for all the differance I made.

Anybody know of where there's is a skidpan that's open to the public in East Central Scotland?

The Bull
27th March 2006, 11:16 PM
Am I wrong or is ASC just the traction control part of it? It's the DSC that does all the braking and stuff to correct a slide isn't it?

AeroJonny
27th March 2006, 11:17 PM
Is there not one at knockhill?

Moonshine
27th March 2006, 11:37 PM
there used to be a pan at Crail.

G

J Cee
28th March 2006, 12:19 AM
ACF! Sorry to here about your bit of misfortune hope everything is ok chap.:)

lightbody
28th March 2006, 01:23 AM
Its called ASC+T. Automatic Stability Control + Traction.

So its got both, its just not so advanced as the DSC, which is more like full-on 'active' handling.

claire
28th March 2006, 05:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

When my car was written of it was with direct line. they were good to deal with and got everything sorted quickly. They asked me before it was declared a w/off where i wanted it to go. I asked for it to go to the mini garage bodyshop as it was only 4 months old. You can get it taken to a bmw approved bodyshop then you shouldnt have any worries with your warranty.

I'm well cheesed off at that news - when my car was smashed i begged Directline to let me take it to a bmw garage - the refused point blank said i had the choice of 3 companies that they used and had no option of taking it elsewhere!! my cars all fixed now, but i'll def not use directline again.