PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gutted......

Gismo
25th March 2006, 12:42 AM
Just had to fork out £200 for my first ever pair of glasses, only for reading ;):p:cool:

monkimagic
25th March 2006, 01:08 AM
It amazes me how much a basic pair of specs cost and how much people will fork out for a pair.

Sheilz
25th March 2006, 04:31 AM
That's the average cost believe it or not! Profit in glasses is very high. My eldest son is the manager of Frame Up workshop and daughter in law to be is an optometrist - cheap glasses for me:D:D:D:D)

Smurf
25th March 2006, 05:14 AM
Think yourself lucky - I've HAD to wear glasses since I was 2 - I don't have any choice.
And to look anywhere reasonable, I have to pay much steeper prices than you did. My lenses are complicated and expensive.

Total rip off.

Gismo
25th March 2006, 05:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic
It amazes me how much a basic pair of specs cost and how much people will fork out for a pair.
What's the alternative, i needed them to be able to read :p

john
25th March 2006, 06:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Stop reading!!:D

MartinSullivan
25th March 2006, 07:34 AM
Nothing good ever came of reading mate - its very overatted - get out and live a little :D

The Dogfather
25th March 2006, 08:27 AM
Its not the reading that's making you go blind :p

N12 JLK
25th March 2006, 06:13 PM

GET OUT THE DVD!!:p

Sheilz
25th March 2006, 09:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

Think yourself lucky - I've HAD to wear glasses since I was 2 - I don't have any choice.
And to look anywhere reasonable, I have to pay much steeper prices than you did. My lenses are complicated and expensive.

Total rip off.

I sympathise there. Real cost of my specs is £600, luckily mine come half price, sometimes a bit less. Savings good because I need the obligatory spare pair. Unprescribes lenses are about £2 but Darren said the cost to customers is to cover the machinery in the workshop which is very expensive, needs regular updating or replacing. It aint the wages to the staff!:(

Crombers
26th March 2006, 06:13 AM
Specsavers :approve:

Two pairs plus 30 disposable contact lenses , under £300 scratch resistant & I've got a stigmatism.

Scottie
26th March 2006, 06:18 AM
Average cost of me glasses are £300 / £400.

but I get my eye test paid for and 50% towards the cost of my glasses from my work.:D:D we also get our eyes checked about every 12 months at work along with our health check.

Allan has contacts £27 a month he also has a stigmatism we both go to Vision express.

Moonshine
27th March 2006, 05:23 AM

Just had to fork out £200 for my first ever pair of glasses, only for reading ;):p:cool:

Alan,

Is that the years of self abuse finally catching up with you?;)

(only kidding!!:blackeye:,promise!)

G :p:)

Moonshine
27th March 2006, 07:55 AM
and you should see the thickness of my specs!:cool::cool::cool::p

claire
27th March 2006, 08:47 AM
...should have gone to specsavers!!:D

GAJ
27th March 2006, 05:43 PM
My glasses usually cost between £300 and £400 too. My prescription is a nightmare; astigmatic, myopic and a squint, and as for my other eye!;)
I got a new pair last month and new lenses in an old pair and after half an hour of haggling managed to neqotiate a £200 discount. Still paid out over £400 though.

Gismo
27th March 2006, 06:12 PM
For all those who pay a lot of money, wouldn't laser treatment be a better option, or is your sight too diminished :question:

GAJ
27th March 2006, 06:35 PM
I personally don't fancy laser treatment, I'm not aure that i'm a suitable candidate anyway, I've never checked. I don't even fancy contact lenses, can't be bothered fiddling with my eyes. I've always worn glasses anyway and am happy to continue to do so, I think I look weird(er) without them!

One thing to remember is that although laser treatment might correct your vision, as you age and the muscles in your eyes relax your eyesight changes, meaning that you may end up needing glasses anyway.

Laser treatment is very expensive; the best part of a grand per eye. I know that there are some budget places available but I'm not sure if cutting corners and looking for the cheapest price is appropriate when you are considering letting a man with a laser loose on your eyes.

Smurf
27th March 2006, 09:09 PM
Laser treatment and contact lenses - neither are suitable for me as my prescription is so complicated. (Squints, asygmatism, etc etc etc) So glasses it is. And no matter where I go, to get a decent pair, I'm about £400.

And I'm not convinced that there isn't any long term damage with laser treatment, it hasn't been on the go long enough for anything to show up yet.

Look after your eyes kids.....

Crombers
27th March 2006, 10:18 PM
Agree with Gary & Vaila. I.m a perfect candidate for laser treatment but do not fancy any possible long term consequences.

When I first appeared on the NMS scene I was wearing continuous wear lenses (put em in & forget about them for 30 days) & they were great. Unfortunately my current job means I sit at a PC all day & according to my optician my eyes needed a wee rest after 12 months use. I could have persevered but took his advice & now wear my specs more than ever. I,ve also had to give up football after a bad injury & no longer need my contacts for footy. I think the last time I wore lenses was on a sunny day (a while ago eh) when out for a drive in me MINI & I wanted to wear my good shades. I've even got prescription sunglasses for the car should I be wearing my normal specs & the sun pops out :cool:

Sheilz
28th March 2006, 08:31 AM
Daughter-in-law to be is newly qualified optician and the message given to them at uni was a big NO to the laser treatment. And it wasnt because it might do them out of business! I look weird too without my glasses. Did have contacts years ago until I got rather pi$$ed one Christmas Eve and ended in casualty on Christmas Day with an extremely painful eye infection. Havent worn them since. I have complex lenses too, by rights should have a white stick or bottle ends but technology means I can wear trendy specs with state of the art slim lenses. Glasses are a great way to change your image. Pain in the butt for sports tho!:D:D:D

X30YES
28th March 2006, 05:52 PM
<<< £3 at the local ethnic corner shop that sells all and everything in the village :D
but as I have both eyes at the same level of blindness (1.75) and only need them for reading I can get away with that :cool:.....Im sure Shell pay lots more for the other ones I have at work :p

euan
28th March 2006, 05:53 PM
I like my glasses, have worn them for years. When I get bored, get a new set of frames and off you go. I'm quite lucky in that so long as I don't go too nuts I usually pay £200 I usually get 2/3 years out of a set of frames, changing the lenses when they need it, so I don't think that's bad. When you look at them as a part of you, and I know how much I spend on clothes, I don't think it's that bad.

I've also got contacts and used to wear them loads but now I just can't be bothered. I'd wear them more in the summer but I get really bad hayfever and you can't wear them and use eyedrops so that's me stuffed!

A couple of friends had the surgery, they thought it was brilliant. Scary though, and I wouldn't do it.

tree73
29th March 2006, 05:51 AM
I ordered and got my MC sooner than my new glasses which I'm still waiting for - avoid Boots when they have offers, wish I had!