PDA

View Full Version : Its a MINI misadventure...

lightbody
22nd March 2006, 04:40 AM
My first 9,850 miles were covered without incident - my MINI was perfect. Oil consumption? Zero. It was handed in for its first oil service with the dipstick still at MAX.

I got it back. Dipstick at max, oil clear, all was well.

Then, about 350 miles later, the engine starts going tappety-tappety. I wasn't too worried, because a friend's MINI also makes this exact noise and her dealer has told her its fine.

But I start to wonder and at about 400 miles or so I go to investigate.

While i've got the bonnet open, i check the dipstick.

Guess what? Yes you got it in one. No oil. Not a drip. A dry dipstick. And an owner speechless with a huge exclamation mark hovering over his head. My perfect MINI!

To cut a LONG story short... the O ring on the oil filter "failed". Make of that what you will...

Its now OK and i've been assured that no damage has been done. The tappety-tappety stopped as soon as it had oil in it (which MINI rescue put in, not me) and the service manager assures me that there was still enough oil in it somewhere...

feefabelle
22nd March 2006, 04:47 AM
oh my word thats awful!!! tappety tappety doesnt sound very good!!
I haven't checked my oil since i got car in sept!! just gonna pop out and do so,just incase!!

The Dogfather
22nd March 2006, 04:49 AM
One question to ask service manager, how does he know no damage was done, has he got X-Ray vision? I'd ask the dealership to cover you in case of early engine failure.

As for O ring failure, I reckon some 'expertly' trained BMW technician didnt put the filter on right.

AN03REW
22nd March 2006, 06:06 AM
My mates mini cooper ceased up at about 4000 miles with no oil in it, the oil light didnt even come on. So it was a new engine for him.

lightbody
22nd March 2006, 06:34 AM
Theres no oil level light in the MINI (unless you have chrono/nav from what i can make out) so the only light is the oil pressure light, by which time it would be too late (from what the service manager says).

GAJ
22nd March 2006, 05:31 PM
Rob, as I said to you before that is an absolute nightmare!

I don't believe that it is possible that driving a car with no oil in it can cause no damage. The oil is obviously there for a reason; the fact that the noise of the engine changed indicates that it is performing differently. In other words the engine was making tappety tappety noises because metal was rubbing against metal without the damping, lubrication and cooling that the oil provides.

At the very least I would be insisting that the dealer pays for a full internal inspection of the engine and gives you a copy of the written report stating that all wear and tolerances are commensurate with an engine the age and mileage of yours.

My fear would be that any problems might not make themselves apparent until the car was out of warranty. (As I suspect the dealer is well aware.) It may be that you plan on not keeping the car that long, but I would still insist on the inspection.

A bit of advice, it is likely that the car will now burn a bit of oil so look out for this and use this as ammunition with the dealer.

I hope you get things sorted.:)

lightbody
22nd March 2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks Gary.

Well apparently the self-adjusting hydralic tappets (someone correct me if thats wrong) use a wee cushion of oil from their own tiny reservoir to adjust themselves and all that was happening is that they weren't adjusting... its the same noise most modern engines sometimes make when starting up before they get a chance to adjust.

I'm assured by them that there was no other damage because there was enough oil left (despite a completely dry dipstick?), but as you say, how can i be sure?

If the oil consumption increases at all i'll be back onto them - i'm going to be checking it constantly.

But as I say, it was driving like a wee dream yesterday...

ELFMAN
24th March 2006, 12:21 AM
That's a bummer, Rob - hope it's all OK. If the Dealer is sure that no damage has been done, and isn't going to take it any further, ie examination, DEMAND that they give you IN WRITING a full explanation of the fault and an assurance to that effect. Then if there's any problem later on, you at least have up you sleeve, or with your solicitor, that you expressed concern etc at the time.

Sounds like the filter O ring was damaged during fitting..... Wasn't it an O Ring 'fault' which brought down the Space Shuttle? Hopefully it's less critical on the MINI.

MartinSullivan
24th March 2006, 11:33 PM
As others have said I would want something in writing to say that there has been no damage - just as a little insurance for the future.

Duncan Stewart
27th March 2006, 02:11 AM
Just been out an checked my oil as my first service was done a couple of weeks ago - clear and all there! Rotten luck Rob but at least Dennis is back and healthy :D I wouldn't think any damage will be done as there is usually lots of oil still in the engine even if the dipstick doesn't reach it anymore and you didn't drive far with the low oil level.
Still Martin's advice sounds like a good idea.

lightbody
27th March 2006, 09:07 AM
MINI UK not replying. Fantastic customer service. I'll try again tomorrow. I have got it "logged" against my MINI UK and dealer service record but I have nothing myself... I'll persevere...

The Dogfather
27th March 2006, 05:23 PM
Rob, you might want to ask someone like the AA for advice, just a thought :)

lightbody
27th March 2006, 10:29 PM
To be honest I've given up now... if it goes BANG in the next 18 months, its under warranty, and I've now got my excuse to flog it at 3 years old for something else.

Do the AA/RAC help non members anyway?

Thanks though, to all, for their advice.

The Dogfather
28th March 2006, 12:48 AM
they do but it'll cost summat if you want a report