PDA

View Full Version : 1st experience of a ONE after 5.5 years in Cooper

lightbody
21st March 2006, 05:40 AM
My car is in being repaired (long story to follow at some point...) so I've got a courtesy ONE.

And I like it! I think its a ONE with Pepper pack and 15" alloys.

Its SO much more comfortable over bumps its unbelievable.

Considerably quieter at a high-speed cruise as combination of wheels, suspension and gearing.

Brakes are better than mine... but it has only done 3500 miles

Performance wise - it feels QUICKER at lower speeds when you're not pushing it hard but when you push hard there's not much there... the extra urge you get in the Cooper above 4 is just not there... having said that its not slow, and far closer to the Coop than I'd have thought.

The standard seats are perfectly adequate but I miss my sports seats. There seems to be more room inside with the standard seats tho.

The now standard CD Boost stereo is perfectly adequate also. HK definitely not essential!! In fact if you just want your music LOUD the CD Boost appears better!

And now the bad...

The steering just feels dead! It feels like an ordinary car.

The roll is amusing, I don't think I realised how little mine rolls in corners.

AN03REW
21st March 2006, 06:11 AM
I know about the roll. Thats what ive to sort out on my one. but ive got my one chipped so i get the blast at 4 on the rev counter.I wish i went for the sports seats they just hug u tighter! But i didnt think of that at the time. My mate got a convertible mini one for a courtesy car that was a laugh. But Ive never had a mini for a courtesy car i always get a yaris, there alot of fun though!

Burple
21st March 2006, 08:06 AM
quote:
The roll is amusing, I don't think I realised how little mine rolls in corners.

That's why I specced Sports Suspension ;):D

Crombers
21st March 2006, 09:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

[quote]

That's why I specced Sports Suspension ;):D

What he said :D

lightbody
21st March 2006, 10:52 PM
I'd like to try the normal sports suspension now. I've only ever been in Coopers with the SS+.

I was actually aiming for potholes last night in the courtesy ONE instead of swerving to avoid them at all costs! *CRASH* *BANG*

Burple
22nd March 2006, 01:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

I'd like to try the normal sports suspension now. I've only ever been in Coopers with the SS+.

I was actually aiming for potholes last night in the courtesy ONE instead of swerving to avoid them at all costs! *CRASH* *BANG*

It's MUCH better now. It actually feels a lot like the standard set up in me old Cooper... except that I've got non-runflat 17"s and 40 profile tyres! When they wear out, I'll be going back up to 45s, same size and profile as the standard 17"R/F, to protect my wheels from potholes as much as anything else :D

The Dogfather
22nd March 2006, 02:40 AM
I hope BMW sort out the sports suspension on the new version so it gives a smoother ride, that way I can get back into a MINI.

The MX5 doesn't roll, has plenty of feedback but absorbs the bumps. If Mazda can do it surely BMW can.

Big Gordy
22nd March 2006, 03:12 AM
Well our ONE has standard suspension and I think it has hardly any body roll at all:eek: so god knows what the 'S' suspension must be like. I don't think it makes the car any less enjoyable having a wee bit of roll and its not tiresome to drive considerable distances in IMHO :p:D:approve:

lightbody
22nd March 2006, 04:15 AM
I got Dennis back, and went for a long, fast drive (to visit Smurf) and am I grinning like a madman or what! Fantastic fun including over an empty Crow Road and then the twisties to Kippen - I raced a Merc S500 as well :)

The main difference I can see between them is the dramatically sharper steering response - I wasn't expecting such a difference with this... and then the lack of roll. The steering response was always why I thought it felt like an original Mini...

The Dogfather
22nd March 2006, 04:42 AM
To me the most important aspect of a sports car, steering feel and response.

Our Omega doesn't have it (although its better than most vauxhalls), the Audi A2 did but A4 didn't, the MINI certainly has it as does the MX5.

3GGG
22nd March 2006, 05:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

To me the most important aspect of a sports car, steering feel and response.

Agreed, I drove my wife's Seat Ibiza and the steering on that feels like it isn't connected to anything :eek: - just like one of those toy wheels you put on the back of seats for the kids to play with. :D

Smurf
22nd March 2006, 05:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

(to visit Smurf) and am I grinning like a madman or what!

Oh yes....!! :D:D:D:D:D