PDA

View Full Version : PVR

euan
20th March 2006, 08:37 PM
OK, we seem a technology friendly bunch....

Does anyone have a freeview PVR? I don't want to get sky+ as I cannot justify the monthly cost for the amount I'll watch it, I only really want the extra BBC and E4 channels and the interactive stuff. So I've been looking at a Topfield and the Humax 9200T PVR.

Anyone got any experience?

miniscot00
21st March 2006, 12:16 AM
Humax - That's what we've got plugged into the wee portable upstairs using the built in aerial on the TV - works a treat! No SCART or anything!

3GGG
22nd March 2006, 05:26 AM
Ferguson FPVR1T - excellent. (Currys)

lightbody
22nd March 2006, 05:34 AM
I got myself a £50 TV card that does it for me.

It turns the PC on. Logs into windows for me (if necessary). Records the programme, and then turns the PC off. Its really clever! It also has a remote control that I can use to do the same.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd March 2006, 05:48 AM
What I want to know is why none of the brand names like Philips or Panasonic or Sony et. al. make Freeview PVR's?

I'm not a brand name junky - I have a Bush freeview box in our caravan and it works great - but you do generally get better quality from a brand name product. Not always, but usually.

3GGG
22nd March 2006, 06:23 AM
Don't spend too much on a Freeview box or PVR as they are still changing the standards and your gear could quickly become out of date. (They are moving from MPEG2 to MPEG4 sometime).

euan
22nd March 2006, 08:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

What I want to know is why none of the brand names like Philips or Panasonic or Sony et. al. make Freeview PVR's?

I'm not a brand name junky - I have a Bush freeview box in our caravan and it works great - but you do generally get better quality from a brand name product. Not always, but usually.

Panasonic have made one, but the Humax and Topfield are better. Panasonic are the first "big" name to make one.

euan
22nd March 2006, 08:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

Don't spend too much on a Freeview box or PVR as they are still changing the standards and your gear could quickly become out of date. (They are moving from MPEG2 to MPEG4 sometime).

I've read that the new Humax 9200T will handle this as part of a software upgrade, but worth checking

Bignorm
22nd March 2006, 09:47 PM
HEY EUAN i just got sky fitted and the guy said that the sky+ box will be coming out for free at the end of april 25.00 per month with a 4 channel mix might be worth your while to wait <just a thought>

euan
23rd March 2006, 03:27 AM
yeah, it's an option (I suspect they are only doing that so that when the SKY HD boxes come out they can charge you again). My main issue is that I'd want to then get Sky sports on it as well...

3GGG
7th April 2006, 05:30 PM
Just got a Miglia TVmini with Elgato EyeTV software for the Macintosh. Tiny wee USB2 dongle that plugs in the USB and a small whip antenna is supplied which works fine even indoors where I am. Mind I chose this house for its superb site for VHF radio contacts.:)

Oh - it comes with an IR remote as well.

Special Offer: Miglia TVmini with EyeTV 2.0 - DTT

Special Offer valid until 11/04/2006: save over 30% on the manufacturer recommended retail price.
(Discount is already included in the displayed price)
Miglia’s TVMini allows you to watch, pause, record and rewind free-to-air Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) on your Mac.

Price: £69.95

Available from Applestore UK (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?productLearnMore=BA882)

NB you need a Mac with a USB 2 port, old USB 1 won't do.