PDA

View Full Version : TV / DVD question

Smurf
19th March 2006, 06:03 AM
Right, all you techno-gadged peeps out there. :D

Techy-numbskull here needs some advice.....

Our standard TV started to go on the blink - the picture was all squashed in at the sides (like someone sucking in their cheeks) which we assume is the tube going....
So, we've bought a new telly.
LCD widescreen.

Channels all tuned in fine - sky all tuned in fine - video seems to be OK too.
DVD player either won't pick up the picture, or when it does, it jumps all over the screen..... Mostly vertically, the horizontall seems to be OK.
It's not the DVD (I don't think) as we plugged it into our wee portable (Scart, same as the new telly) and we can watch it.....
Also tried using the red, yellow and white AV leads to connect it (as this is how it was connected to our old telly)- same thing - jumpy picture.

Has anyone any suggestions? I've set everything to 16:9 and it doesn't seem to make any difference either way.....

I'm probably being exceptionally thick, but I don't understand.....

:(:(:(:question::question::question:

Scottie
19th March 2006, 06:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

Right, all you techno-gadged peeps out there. :D

Techy-numbskull here needs some advice.....

Our standard TV started to go on the blink - the picture was all squashed in at the sides (like someone sucking in their cheeks) which we assume is the tube going....
So, we've bought a new telly.
LCD widescreen.

Channels all tuned in fine - sky all tuned in fine - video seems to be OK too.
DVD player either won't pick up the picture, or when it does, it jumps all over the screen..... Mostly vertically, the horizontall seems to be OK.
It's not the DVD (I don't think) as we plugged it into our wee portable (Scart, same as the new telly) and we can watch it.....
Also tried using the red, yellow and white AV leads to connect it (as this is how it was connected to our old telly)- same thing - jumpy picture.

Has anyone any suggestions? I've set everything to 16:9 and it doesn't seem to make any difference either way.....

I'm probably being exceptionally thick, but I don't understand.....

:(:(:(:question::question::question:

what scart socket you got it in ie. AV1 AV2 our is set up you press AV on the remote then one of the colour buttons depending which av the dvd is plugged into

sleepyrascal
19th March 2006, 06:27 AM
Maybe its just excited about having a new home and cant keep still.

Gismo
19th March 2006, 07:08 PM
As Fi mentioned, check which scart you're connected to, not all scarts carry all the signals you need.
Try it in the same scart as the video, just to check, as it seems to work.

Other than that, is the DVD a region 1??? is the player region free etc

Smurf
20th March 2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. It works fine in the other Scart socket....

(And here was me thinking they were all the same! And that Scart was supposed to take all the guesswork out of this sort of thing.....)

Means we can't plug the SKY into the Scart either - cos it only works in that particular Scart socket too..... But, hey, we've lived with it only working through the arial for the past few months, so no difference there!

GAJ
20th March 2006, 05:25 PM
In the Video settings for the TV there should be the option to set the SCART socket to accept either a RGB, Y/C or S-Video signal. There should be a similar setting for output in the DVD player and the Sky box. Make sure that these are set to agree with each other, if they are set differently the picture will not display correctly. Generally speaking, Y/C or S-Video will give you a better picture than RGB. If the DVD player and the TV both have component connections then use that for the best possible picture but you will probably need to buy a component cable as thay are not usually supplied.

Gismo
20th March 2006, 06:30 PM
Yep, with Gaj all the way there, component will give the best picture :) though i was answering the question :I
Anyway's if you're stuck with scart, you can get a 2 into 1 splitter box that means instead of unplugging the cables all the time you simply move a switch to watch you're preferred source.
So, you have a scart cable coming from sky and the DVD player into a wee box, from there one cable to the TV, when you wanna watch Sky just select it on the box and for DVD then move the switch to the other direction, sorted :approve: saves damage to the cables and more importantly the TV, Sky Box and DVD Player :)

Burple
20th March 2006, 06:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Yep, with Gaj all the way there, component will give the best picture :) though i was answering the question :I
Anyway's if you're stuck with scart, you can get a 2 into 1 splitter box that means instead of unplugging the cables all the time you simply move a switch to watch you're preferred source.

Or.... ;):p

I have one of those 'Monster' 4 way split Scart cables. Basically whichever one of the 4 inputs you hve on, the signal will go to the TV... Haven't noticed any bad effects on picture quality!
:cool::D