PDA

View Full Version : TOMTOM GO or ROADANGEL?

zimbo
15th March 2006, 07:20 AM
Does anyone here have either of these and if so what do you think of them and which would you recommend:question:

Thanks Alistair

Sheilz
15th March 2006, 07:43 AM
Tom tom ace for finding your way around. Road Angel ace at identifying hostile objects such as 'safety' cameras. You can download 'safety' camera locations onto the tom tom but I dont find this nearly so reliable as the RA. Havent seen the RA which incorporates satnav so cant comment on whether it is as good as tomtom. Depends on what your greatest need is - protecting your license or getting from A-B. If the license is your priority I'd defo go RA.

Sheilz
15th March 2006, 07:49 AM
Should have said. I'm onto my third tomtom, the screens of the first two lasted for precisely four weeks. I had downloaded the camera sites onto the first one - cost £67 (or therabouts) - and have not yet succeeded in cracking tomtoms website to get them onto my current one, all I've done is run up my phone bill trying to download. Lots of information on website but how to get what Ive paid for has me baffled. Raod Angel on the other hamd is very simple to update. Mine is the tomtom one. Perhaps the more expensive versions are better.

Craig
15th March 2006, 05:03 PM
I have a Tom Tom GO and I have downloaded a free camera database onto it without any problem, plus you can download a new version every month from the website for free.:D:D (www.pocketgpsworld.com)

The Tom Tom I have found is one of the easiest to use and has not (as yet) got me lost... I would highly recommend it. :D

Bignorm
15th March 2006, 06:28 PM
how about the garmin sat nav very good we are using them here on all the company cars have sold alot already

Sheilz
16th March 2006, 06:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

I have a Tom Tom GO and I have downloaded a free camera database onto it without any problem, plus you can download a new version every month from the website for free.:D:D (www.pocketgpsworld.com)

The Tom Tom I have found is one of the easiest to use and has not (as yet) got me lost... I would highly recommend it. :D

Craig, the downloads you got for free. Was that part of the package for the model you have? If not would that work with the one? Even when I had camera sites on my first one I didnt find this quite so precise in warning and identifying cameras. Is that because its a one? The RA leaves you in no doubt when you're approaching these things. I think I'd like to trade in my road angel and tomtom for the combined RA with satnav.

Craig
16th March 2006, 05:08 PM
no, not part of the package, I just downloaded it from the net after looking around for the info. It is very up-to-date as it is maintained by the public. Ie if you see a camera van, you note the GPS position and send it into them.

I never speed anyway, so it doesn't bother me... ;):approve: