PDA

View Full Version : Route planning suggestions?

travelingmcmahans
3rd November 2003, 12:20 AM
For anyone who doesn't know, we're the Americans coming over for Hogmanay. My husband and I are going to rent a car (unfortunately not a MINI) for the day on Dec 30, and want to drive Edinurgh - Perth - Stirling - back to Edinburgh. I have looked on the RAC website for route planning, but would love to have a "local's" advice. We of course want scenic roads, not just the major highways. Given the limited amount of daylight, can we make that loop before dark, stopping for castles, picture taking and for lunch?
Is this a good drive? We're going to St. Andrews on the Run the day before, and can't really make it much further north in one day. Stirling sounds very interesting, and I have read something at one point about Perth (I don't remember what it was now) that made me want to go there.

Also, how much is gas - per liter, is it?
We were on the Continent this summer, and it was about .89E per liter for diesel. As our luck goes, the pound is very, very high against the dollar right now.:dead: But if we rent the little Ford Ka (any opinions:question:) it should get really good mileage shouldn't it?

Gismo
3rd November 2003, 12:59 AM
Dana's personal assistant here, gas or petrol is an average 80p per litre, or 1.36 US Dollars per litre :eek:, almost the same conversion for the euro :(

As for roads, going the main highways you can do your circuit easily within daylight hours, but, to do it the way you want i'm not so sure.
I would say that if you were to visit Stirling where the Wallace monument and obviously Stirling castle is a direct drive is only about 1hr anyway, you'll spend your time admiring the view and then move onto Perth to do the same again.

Might be best if a more local person posted here though, anyone......

Bonnie Scotland

Monsta Mo Mini
3rd November 2003, 03:25 AM
Local person here!!!

Dana - you can do Edinbirgh to Stirling in 40 minutes on the M9. As Alan mentioned there is the Wallace Monument and Castle aswell as the Bannockburn Centre. From there you have two options. You can take the direct route up to Perth on the A9 or go along the more picturesque "Hillfoots" road wich runs along the foot of the Ochil Hills and goes through places like Alva and Dollar (another castle here). Perth itself is a lovely town (my birthplace) where you can visit Scone Palace and have a walk along the Tay. Then back to Edinburgh on the M90 and over the Forth Road Bridge. you can stop off at either north or South Queensferry and have a gawk at the ever rusty Forth Bridge.

travelingmcmahans
3rd November 2003, 06:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Local person here!!!

Dana - you can do Edinbirgh to Stirling in 40 minutes on the M9. As Alan mentioned there is the Wallace Monument and Castle aswell as the Bannockburn Centre. From there you have two options. You can take the direct route up to Perth on the A9 or go along the more picturesque "Hillfoots" road wich runs along the foot of the Ochil Hills and goes through places like Alva and Dollar (another castle here). Perth itself is a lovely town (my birthplace) where you can visit Scone Palace and have a walk along the Tay. Then back to Edinburgh on the M90 and over the Forth Road Bridge. you can stop off at either north or South Queensferry and have a gawk at the ever rusty Forth Bridge.

I like the Hillfoots road idea.Do you have a number for that?
Is it worth it to take something besides the M9 to Stirling, as far as views? Same for returning from Perth, must we take the M90? It looks like there are all kinds of castles between Perth and Edinburgh. I know we can't stop and go in them all (I'm afraid many of them will even be closed) but I like to ooh and ah as we drive by. (Keep in mind before you laugh at my touristy self that the oldest buildings we have over here are generally no more than a couple hundred years old, so I'm fascinated by centuries-old castles and such).
Is that enough questions for now?:I
I promise, should you ever come to the states, I will be happy to help you plan!:D

Big Gordy
3rd November 2003, 05:49 PM
The Hillfoots road is the A91 Stirling to Kinross Road which leads right to the M90 which will take you straight to Perth. To be fair you still get decent scenery on the motorway (freeway) from Edinburgh to Sirling and Kinross to Perth IMHO :p:D:approve: